Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 12:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: The Harts are back, with a twist. NBC has put in development a new take on the 1979 ABC mystery/adventure drama, which starred Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers. The reboot — which revolves around a gay couple — hails from producer Carol Mendelsohn and Sony TV, whose predecessor Columbia Pictures produced the original series with Spelling-Goldberg Prods.
‘Hart to Hart’ Gay Couple Remake Set At NBC | Deadline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 01:44 PM

620 posts, read 638,322 times
I have no problem with it, though it would be nice if neither character gay character were stereotypically flamboyant. It would be nice for Hollywood to recognize that not all gay men are like Cam on Modern Family.

It's interesting that the typical lesbian stereotype (butch) doesn't often carry over to lesbian TV characters. There are a few, but for the most part, lesbians on TV are usually very feminine. They really have no traits that quickly identify them as being lesbian, and it usually has to come out in the storyline.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I have no problem with it, though it would be nice if neither character gay character were stereotypically flamboyant. It would be nice for Hollywood to recognize that not all gay men are like Cam on Modern Family.
Well most of your audience is straight, and they are most comfortable with "over the top" gay men and lipstick lesbians.

It's like the film "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995)" which was an American remake of the British film "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)".

The film opens with Wesley Snipes and Patrick Swayze putting on makeup and dresses, which is almost pointless narrative since when they are fully dressed they look like muscular straight guys wearing drag. But you never see John Leguizamo getting dressed. It's a cruel trick on all of us straight guys because when he appears up all we see is onscreen is an attractive woman. Talk about Lola nightmares.

So don't expect ABC/Disney to break patterns anytime soon. Disney is only pretending to look like they are challenging the audience mores.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:08 PM

620 posts, read 638,322 times
Who said anything about ABC/Disney?

Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
So don't expect ABC/Disney to break patterns anytime soon. Disney is only pretending to look like they are challenging the audience mores.
The remake will be on NBC and produced by Sony TV. Disney is not involved in this project.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Cool, I will watch it.
Rizzoli and and Isles would be fun casting...

Old 10-15-2015, 07:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
My dream casting: John Barrowman and Wentworth Miller.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:05 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I'm with the majority of people who viewed this thread without responding, but probably wanted to say:

Enough with the obligatory gay characters showing up on virtually every TV show. From looking at the programming, one would never know that gays comprise such a small percentage of the population.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm with the majority of people who viewed this thread without responding, but probably wanted to say:

Enough with the obligatory gay characters showing up on virtually every TV show. From looking at the programming, one would never know that gays comprise such a small percentage of the population.
Sometimes I think there is a "wheel of minority" that the studio execs use for remakes.

Studio exec 1 "we should remake xyz show"
Studio exec 2 "let's go to the wheel!"
<spins wheel>
Studio exec 2 "JACKPOT! we will not only make it with black people instead of the original white, but they'll be gay!"
Studio exec 1 "I think we have a hit on our hands"

Old 10-16-2015, 08:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Well if they were black transgender gays then it would be "edgy". I predict this show lasts for a half season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV