Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,918,245 times

Advertisements

Weather Channel guy was explaining how the sun melts the snow. Gosh, what a revelation. Now they're arguing over one tenth of an inch to make this the STORM OF THE CENTURY. I say give them the 1/10".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,569,347 times
my favorite is the "photojournalist" driving around the roads and hi-ways with a dashboard camera telling you how bad it is and to stay home... if people should stay off the roads why don't you follow your own advice.. we all know what snowy roads look like, we don't need a "photojournalist" driving around to tell us -- DORKS!!!!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:26 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,231,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Is there anything dumber?
In our area they stand literally on the road.. I really do not want to see someone get hit on live TV.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM

997 posts, read 1,063,890 times
One of my favorite weathercast clips...

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,612,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Overreaching paternalism restricts freedom and dumbs-down the population and makes it more complaint to every whim of regulators and do-gooders with no clue, which is an evil that can be hard to cure short of revolution.

Cows and horses need windbreaks, not "warm places to stay." They can do just fine with some protection, especially in the "low" temps where weather reporters start having their own cows. Putting them in a heated environment can actually be negative, in that it confuses the automatic compensatory systems they have for dealing with the seasons.

The temperature is related to weather, the need to drink fluids is not. That is an extension into paternalism.

If you cater to the lowest common denominator, that denominator will get even lower. I agree with the kindergarten analogy. However, if you see value in constantly being told what to do, fine by me.
Except it's the lowest common denominator who thinks "Herp derp, weatherman are always wrong, I'm going out in the snow. Ain't no one gonna restrict my freedom cuz I'm a Murican," and then they get stuck, and someone has to save them.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,070,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Except it's the lowest common denominator who thinks "Herp derp, weatherman are always wrong, I'm going out in the snow. Ain't no one gonna restrict my freedom cuz I'm a Murican," and then they get stuck, and someone has to save them.
Exactly. If everyone used common sense, they wouldn't have to remind people over and over again.

We just had some bad flooding in late Decemeber/Early January, and the amount of water rescuers that were in the traffic reports were unbelievable. It is constantly said on the news, on the radio, on social media, etc... To turn around if the road is flooded, yet people don't.

And how many people died over the weekend on the east coast due to slick road conditions?

Until people stop putting themselves in danger, its going to be repeated. It may not be strictly weather related, but its still a public service announcement related to the weather.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,612,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Exactly. If everyone used common sense, they wouldn't have to remind people over and over again.

We just had some bad flooding in late Decemeber/Early January, and the amount of water rescuers that were in the traffic reports were unbelievable. It is constantly said on the news, on the radio, on social media, etc... To turn around if the road is flooded, yet people don't.

And how many people died over the weekend on the east coast due to slick road conditions?

Until people stop putting themselves in danger, its going to be repeated. It may not be strictly weather related, but its still a public service announcement related to the weather.
Most people died because of SHOVELING, because even though everyone tells them again and again to take frequent breaks, don't lift heavy snow, etc etc, people are still foolish and end up hurt or dead.

But hey, at least they died free, and not under the watchful paternalistic eye of the oppressive weather forecasters who want to rob them of their liberties. /sarcasm

Old 01-25-2016, 08:00 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,682,496 times
My kids and I used to joke you could tell who drew the short straw for the 10 pm news broadcast. It would be the poor shnook freezing his/her a$$ off in Blue Canyon yelling into a microphone.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:07 AM

23,646 posts, read 70,634,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Most people died because of SHOVELING, because even though everyone tells them again and again to take frequent breaks, don't lift heavy snow, etc etc, people are still foolish and end up hurt or dead.

But hey, at least they died free, and not under the watchful paternalistic eye of the oppressive weather forecasters who want to rob them of their liberties. /sarcasm
If something like that is placed in a broadcast AS a bracketed public service announcement, I don't think I would have a problem with it. When I tune in for the W-E-A-T-H-E-R I expect to get the W-E-A-T-H-E-R report. To give an analogy of what is happening, imagine a cooking show about barbeque where the host constantly reminds the viewer, "and remember, for safety, never barbeque indoors and always have at least two fire extinguishers handy" then says a little more about the cooking process and then interjects "when cooking, remember that too much fat is not good for your arteries and you should only barbeque small servings to be safe" and then continues on about the temperature to use and interjects "scientists have determined that the char on barbeque is CANCER CAUSING! so if you don't know how to barbeque properly please leave it to the professionals."

Here is the bottom line, when I am in search of information, the stupidity of others is not my problem, nor is it the problem of any book, newscast, weathercast or any other source of information. A lot of people misread religious texts like the Bible and Koran and go off and start wars and crusades. Last time I checked, NEITHER came with concordance warnings "Do not stone adulterers, you are not an ancient Israelite."

Old 01-25-2016, 10:27 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,249,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If something like that is placed in a broadcast AS a bracketed public service announcement, I don't think I would have a problem with it. When I tune in for the W-E-A-T-H-E-R I expect to get the W-E-A-T-H-E-R report. To give an analogy of what is happening, imagine a cooking show about barbeque where the host constantly reminds the viewer, "and remember, for safety, never barbeque indoors and always have at least two fire extinguishers handy" then says a little more about the cooking process and then interjects "when cooking, remember that too much fat is not good for your arteries and you should only barbeque small servings to be safe" and then continues on about the temperature to use and interjects "scientists have determined that the char on barbeque is CANCER CAUSING! so if you don't know how to barbeque properly please leave it to the professionals."

Here is the bottom line, when I am in search of information, the stupidity of others is not my problem, nor is it the problem of any book, newscast, weathercast or any other source of information. A lot of people misread religious texts like the Bible and Koran and go off and start wars and crusades. Last time I checked, NEITHER came with concordance warnings "Do not stone adulterers, you are not an ancient Israelite."
Whaaaa...???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV