Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:36 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,075,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If something like that is placed in a broadcast AS a bracketed public service announcement, I don't think I would have a problem with it. When I tune in for the W-E-A-T-H-E-R I expect to get the W-E-A-T-H-E-R report. To give an analogy of what is happening, imagine a cooking show about barbeque where the host constantly reminds the viewer, "and remember, for safety, never barbeque indoors and always have at least two fire extinguishers handy" then says a little more about the cooking process and then interjects "when cooking, remember that too much fat is not good for your arteries and you should only barbeque small servings to be safe" and then continues on about the temperature to use and interjects "scientists have determined that the char on barbeque is CANCER CAUSING! so if you don't know how to barbeque properly please leave it to the professionals."
I've never seen a weather forecast like that. Here they are able to give the weather, while also making a short comment once or twice during the segment. Usually they don't talk about "don't drive into a flood" or "bring your pets in" until the very end of the forecast when they are doing some light banter with the rest of the news cast. And bring a jacket or umbrella is usually commented on at the beginning of the segment when they're transitioning to weather. The rest of the time its all weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM

8,532 posts, read 6,959,394 times
We get the same type of weatherman hysteria here when it rains.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM

7,581 posts, read 5,350,454 times
Oh for gawd's sake!

During a commercial break, one of the local anchors giving a pre-view, why do I need a 30 sec. weather pre-view when you should be able to report weather in 30 sec.

but I digress...

His big preview, there are no cloud activity stating and I quote "the atmosphere is exhausted!"

It snows over 1/10th of 6% of the earth surface and the entire atmosphere is exhausted

Old 01-25-2016, 06:20 PM

23,653 posts, read 70,660,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never seen a weather forecast like that. Here they are able to give the weather, while also making a short comment once or twice during the segment. Usually they don't talk about "don't drive into a flood" or "bring your pets in" until the very end of the forecast when they are doing some light banter with the rest of the news cast. And bring a jacket or umbrella is usually commented on at the beginning of the segment when they're transitioning to weather. The rest of the time its all weather.
This is north Alabama. Hyperbole is the norm. They REALLY DO talk like that around here. I've not seen as much of it anywhere else I've lived. Even in south Florida with Hurricane Andrew approaching, Brian Norcross was alarmed but respectful in his reporting, detailing particular precautions but not pandering.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,593,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Oh for gawd's sake!

During a commercial break, one of the local anchors giving a pre-view, why do I need a 30 sec. weather pre-view when you should be able to report weather in 30 sec.

but I digress...
That really gets me too. I'll tune in and think I've caught the weather report only to realize it's a big tease to watch for 20 minutes.

I'll always remember someone showing how weather reporters in the field go for the really dramatic shots -- during a hurricane, a reporter could just about stand up, the wind was so harsh… and then the camera pans away to a guy standing nearby, perfectly upright because he had the sense to stand out of the wind tunnel effect (but of course, it was boring).

Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,613,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If something like that is placed in a broadcast AS a bracketed public service announcement, I don't think I would have a problem with it. When I tune in for the W-E-A-T-H-E-R I expect to get the W-E-A-T-H-E-R report. To give an analogy of what is happening, imagine a cooking show about barbeque where the host constantly reminds the viewer, "and remember, for safety, never barbeque indoors and always have at least two fire extinguishers handy" then says a little more about the cooking process and then interjects "when cooking, remember that too much fat is not good for your arteries and you should only barbeque small servings to be safe" and then continues on about the temperature to use and interjects "scientists have determined that the char on barbeque is CANCER CAUSING! so if you don't know how to barbeque properly please leave it to the professionals."

Here is the bottom line, when I am in search of information, the stupidity of others is not my problem, nor is it the problem of any book, newscast, weathercast or any other source of information. A lot of people misread religious texts like the Bible and Koran and go off and start wars and crusades. Last time I checked, NEITHER came with concordance warnings "Do not stone adulterers, you are not an ancient Israelite."
Yep, the Crusades and The Weather Channel. Totally the same concept.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,086,410 times
Must be contagious since our local weather folks will also panic. We had a dusting of snow one day last week and one local guy/station broke into a tv show with STORM WARNING!!!

And during the spring, as soon as the first rain drops begin to fall we get the TORNADO WATCH warnings. . . again with them breaking into tv shows and then talking about it for 15 minutes or more.

Also find that they appear to love bad weather because when we have a so-called nice weather day during the winter they'll casually mention it; and then immediately follow up with, "But watch out for the freezing temps coming in a day or so!!!!" and have a big grin on their face.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:59 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,232,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Must be contagious since our local weather folks will also panic. We had a dusting of snow one day last week and one local guy/station broke into a tv show with STORM WARNING!!!

And during the spring, as soon as the first rain drops begin to fall we get the TORNADO WATCH warnings. . . again with them breaking into tv shows and then talking about it for 15 minutes or more.

Also find that they appear to love bad weather because when we have a so-called nice weather day during the winter they'll casually mention it; and then immediately follow up with, "But watch out for the freezing temps coming in a day or so!!!!" and have a big grin on their face.

They want you to keep watching. Ratings = income

Old 01-26-2016, 09:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,086,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
They want you to keep watching. Ratings = income
That may keep some glued to the screen, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV