Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times

Advertisements

Is there anything dumber?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdPrgWDQ6lA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
They must issue yardsticks in weather school. Yeah, it's snowing, yeah it's windy. Yeah, you can measure the snow. Meh...

Old 01-23-2016, 08:25 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
We were laughing last night at news reporters standing in the blizzard who could not even speak due to the wind and had snow dripping off of their faces. Why they have to stand in it while reporting on is beyond me. Looks like some new form of torture.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
We just had a cold snap here in IL. and one of the local channels sent a reporter out to stand in the cold and tell us what the wind chill was, she started talking and then shouted out "This is STUPID " ! and the cameras went off and everybody at the studio laughed. It really is dumb.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
The whole weather reporting schtick has gone from nerd for farmers, to eye candy reporters for teen boys, to sky-is-falling FUD.

A few years ago there was a little dust-up tornado in the area and a rookie was sent to cover the area just as another one of about the same small size formed. He had been with the station for less than a year. When on-camera, he extemporized "In all my time here I have never seen anything like this!" I nearly peed myself laughing.

What I find even more irritating than the "stand in the weather and look stupid" routine is the paternalistic twaddle that now comes with even minor weather events and is repeated ad nauseum.
Heavy rain - "Don't drive on flooded roads" soon to be "Don't drive through puddles."
Thunderstorm - "Stay indoors if you can hear thunder."
High Winds - "Stay away from windows." That one seems to be contagious, since I now hear it for just about everything.
Cold weather - "Wear a jacket" Yes mom. "Bring your pets indoors" What about my cow?
Hot weather - "Drink plenty of fluids and stay out of the sun." ...and this is weather HOW???
Pleasant day - "Watch out for the pollen levels! The wild cowmanure plants are in full bloom!"

Normally I fast forward through to the seven day planner, ignore the last four days because they don't really know, and move on.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:18 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I was just saying sort of the same thing to dh. We have the tv on to see how the blizzard is going and they just act stupid and keep talking without really saying anything.

I'd like to decent weather maps--easy to read maps that would stand still so you could actually see them and figure them out. I'd like some facts too. I'd like some consistent reporting of conditions instead of--ooooooh, put your warm jacket on! yikes, it's a lot of snow! Lots of problems with this huge storm, folks. It's like kindergarten.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
What I find even more irritating than the "stand in the weather and look stupid" routine is the paternalistic twaddle that now comes with even minor weather events and is repeated ad nauseum.
Heavy rain - "Don't drive on flooded roads"

And yet, every time it floods, there are people who drive through flooded roads and either drown or need to be rescued.

Quote:
Cold weather - "Wear a jacket" Yes mom. "Bring your pets indoors" What about my cow?
Again, it's common sense, but every winter people are idiots and leave their pets outside to freeze. And yes, even cows and horses should have a warm place to stay if the temps are that cold.

Quote:
Hot weather - "Drink plenty of fluids and stay out of the sun." ...and this is weather HOW???
The temperature is not related to weather?

Old 01-23-2016, 12:03 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Sadly most all aspects of news "reporting" has turned into entertainment on some level. Reporters are expected to go out and do live scene reporting of all events including weather.

Can see why a weather reporter might be sent out, but every network and local station is doing "team coverage".

It must work on some levels, weather reporters such as Sam Champion make tens of millions per year (or some such figure), so they must bring in some sort of value.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:57 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And yet, every time it floods, there are people who drive through flooded roads and either drown or need to be rescued.

Again, it's common sense, but every winter people are idiots and leave their pets outside to freeze. And yes, even cows and horses should have a warm place to stay if the temps are that cold.

The temperature is not related to weather?
Overreaching paternalism restricts freedom and dumbs-down the population and makes it more complaint to every whim of regulators and do-gooders with no clue, which is an evil that can be hard to cure short of revolution.

Cows and horses need windbreaks, not "warm places to stay." They can do just fine with some protection, especially in the "low" temps where weather reporters start having their own cows. Putting them in a heated environment can actually be negative, in that it confuses the automatic compensatory systems they have for dealing with the seasons.

The temperature is related to weather, the need to drink fluids is not. That is an extension into paternalism.

If you cater to the lowest common denominator, that denominator will get even lower. I agree with the kindergarten analogy. However, if you see value in constantly being told what to do, fine by me.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Cows and horses need windbreaks, not "warm places to stay." They can do just fine with some protection, especially in the "low" temps where weather reporters start having their own cows. Putting them in a heated environment can actually be negative, in that it confuses the automatic compensatory systems they have for dealing with the seasons.
Except when they say to bring pets inside, they are talking about animals such as dogs and cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV