Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 PM

60 posts, read 48,713 times

Advertisements

I own a Samsung Smart TV, it has web browser, apps etc. But I wanted to try out this new service called SlingTV. It runs through various devices like AppleTV, GoogleChromecast, Roku, XBox One, laptop, mobile phones, etc.

I was thinking of buying the Roku devices but then again why waste money on those or similar devices when I already own a Smart TV as it is, isn't having one of these devices the same thing and a waste of money?

I've been wanting to buy a PS4 and know that has its variety of apps like the XBox One does, but SlingTV has not gotten to the PS4 network yet, nor have they gone to any other smart TV company like Samsung to include their app in those companies.

So what to do? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 AM

5,254 posts, read 6,350,894 times
Quote:
I was thinking of buying the Roku devices but then again why waste money on those or similar devices when I already own a Smart TV as it is, isn't having one of these devices the same thing and a waste of money?
They are the same thing as a smart TV, the only difference is that roku has a dedicated remote which makes certain functions easier than a combined remote for a tv. If you have a smart tv, you don't really need both. There are also some smart tvs that don't support certain services for whatever reason (some don't support Youtube for example), but those cases are getting to be somewhat rare.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,612,743 times
Amazon Firestick and Kodi. That's all you really need.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,618,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronypride View Post
I own a Samsung Smart TV, it has web browser, apps etc. But I wanted to try out this new service called SlingTV. It runs through various devices like AppleTV, GoogleChromecast, Roku, XBox One, laptop, mobile phones, etc.

I've been wanting to buy a PS4 and know that has its variety of apps like the XBox One does, but SlingTV has not gotten to the PS4 network yet, nor have they gone to any other smart TV company like Samsung to include their app in those companies.

The only reason I can think of to buy another device is if something you want access to is not yet available via your SmartTV and you don't want to wait for an upgrade.

Only you can decide if having (more) immediate access is worth paying for something else.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:53 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,448,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Amazon Firestick and Kodi. That's all you really need.
Someone told me that the other day. How does Kodi work? He said you get everything for free, which would be great, but sounds too good to be true.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:37 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,355,352 times
Quote:
I own a Samsung Smart TV, it has web browser, apps etc.
I see it listed as "coming soon" for select 2015 Sony and Sharp Smart TVs, Samsung and LG Smart TVs. Unfortunately the expected date is not listed on the Sling website.

These Amazon fire sticks and Roku sticks are pretty cheap. Maybe you could purchase one and then move it to a secondary television when the Samsung app comes available.

PlayStation Vue Expands to Roku Today, Launching on Android Next Week. Perhaps they will win the battle about getting to Samsung TVs.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,355,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Someone told me that the other day. How does Kodi work? He said you get everything for free, which would be great, but sounds too good to be true.
Kodi is legal open source software.

Due to the presence of third-party add-ons that allow users to stream copyrighted content without the permission of its copyright holder, as well as Kodi distributions and hardware devices that are pre-loaded with the software and such add-ons, some users have incorrectly associated these products and add-ons as being officially affiliated with the Kodi project. In June 2015, Amazon Appstore pulled Kodi, as it can be "used to facilitate the piracy or illegal download of content", even though the software is not officially bundled with such content.

In February 2016, the XBMC Foundation reiterated its stance on third-party Kodi products meant for the streaming of unlicensed content; Betzen explained that the reputation of the Kodi project had been hurt by its association with third-party products whose sellers "make a quick buck modifying Kodi, installing broken piracy add-ons, advertising that Kodi lets you watch free movies and TV, and then vanishing when the user buys the box and finds out that the add-on they were sold on was a crummy, constantly breaking mess."

Betzen warned that although it is open source software, the name "Kodi" and its logos are registered trademarks of the XBMC Foundation, and that the Foundation intended to strictly enforce its trademark rights to prevent its unauthorized use, especially in association with information and devices meant to enable access to unlicensed content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

8,373 posts, read 7,326,782 times
Quote:

I have a 2013 Samsung Smart TV. I wanted HBO Now, which is an app not available for my TV. I assume that's because the TV's software/hardware can't support the HBO Now app. I wound up buying the latest Roku stick for about $50.

The problem with "Smart" TVs is that they become less intelligent with age.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,448,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I have a 2013 Samsung Smart TV. I wanted HBO Now, which is an app not available for my TV. I assume that's because the TV's software/hardware can't support the HBO Now app. I wound up buying the latest Roku stick for about $50.

The problem with "Smart" TVs is that they become less intelligent with age.
I do as well and I used the remote to go to hbo.com and installed it.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:04 PM

60 posts, read 48,713 times
How do Smart TV's become less intelligent, I thought all of them have the NEWEST and best apps out there? Even webcams in some higher quality TV sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV