Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:54 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
They still have some great shows! The Blacklist and Dateline are two of the finest programs on television at the present moment in my opinion...and I really only watch a handful of shows. And actually of the three or four major networks, I think that NBC produces the best quality shows.
Those two may be above the intelligence level of many of today's TV viewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,530,606 times
I think that this is the golden age of TV - but all of the good stuff is on cable and streaming services. The major broadcast networks have been losing audiences every year. The majority of their broadcast programming is truly dreadful - esp when compared to what is available elsewhere including all of the programming from other countries we have available now.

NBC is not any more dreadful than ABC, CBS or Fox.

Last edited by Garson; 07-11-2016 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: added line

Old 07-11-2016, 01:23 PM

22,940 posts, read 28,331,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Remember though the Olympics are coming up, summer Olympics at that, so NBC should be seeing some nice revenues coming in as a result. Especially with people waiting for Rio to blow up.
I know I am in the minority on this, but I actually find most Olympic sports intensely boring. Any time the outcome of a sport is a result of a line of people in suits holding up score cards, it no longer feels like a sport to me. It feels more like a dance recital.

Most summer Olympic sports could be greatly improved by doing one simple thing: Add defense.

All that twirling on the rings would be a lot more exciting if another player was trying to knock the athlete off those rings.

Floor mat gymnastics would be way more exciting with a wild bull loose on the mat.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,779,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

2. However, I think the OP is right in that I don't sense that Comcast really understands the history of NBC as one of the two truly great historical networks in our country. To Comcast, NBC is just a vehicle to make huge profits. Personally, I think the GE years were the last of the real NBC. Now it's just a network with no real traditions, except perhaps the Today Show juggernaut, and possibly Tonight.
If you ever find yourself in NYC, please make a point of visiting Rockefellar Center and 30 Rock. Comcast spent a fortune restoring the latter to its Art Deco glory. So, you may be wrong wrt what Comcast thinks about NBC's history.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:41 PM

9,826 posts, read 11,577,462 times
Land of the lost was the turning point for me!
Marshall Will and Holly.....

Old 07-11-2016, 03:48 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,273,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Floor mat gymnastics would be way more exciting with a wild bull loose on the mat.

Or if Women's Gymnastics were really WOMEN'S gymnastics and not Little Girl's gymnastics.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:53 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,713,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
For those of you who remember life before the year 2000, NBC was once a great broadcast network that produced some really good television programs in the 1980s and 1990s. What the hell happened to them? They were owned by RCA for several decades but here are some recent ownership changes that may have played into the decay of their performance.
  • 1986 - purchased by GE
  • 2004 - merged with Universal Motion Pictures
  • 2007 - Jeffrey Zucker became CEO
  • 2009 - Comcast gained 51% of ownership
  • 2013 - Comcast became 100% owner
NBC timeline: Key dates in its history - Business - US business - Media biz | NBC News

Is NBC's pattern markedly different than that of CBS (which had the best reputation of all) or ABC?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,654,392 times
Grimm and The Blacklist are pretty good! But in general, it seems to be circling the drain.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 PM

9,184 posts, read 6,361,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, they also had some great shows in the '50s, '60s, and '70s, many of them classics. A real grand time to watch television.
No doubt in my mind that what you say is true. I was born when many of those shows were already in syndication so I viewed them on the few independent stations that were around my area in the 1980s and 1990s. I would have to google each show individually to see which of the major networks on which the show originated. My earliest TV memory was watching Barney Miller on Saturday nights with my dad when I was four years old. According to Wikipedia Barney Miller was an ABC creation.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM

9,184 posts, read 6,361,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
NBC's last gasp of life was in the '90s during the whole "Must See TV" era of Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier, etc. Once those shows were gone, there was still the odd good show now and then, but they were merely the death throes. 30 Rock was a great show, but even they were constantly making fun of how bad NBC is.
If I recall correctly NBC had at least two, if not three nights of solid situation comedy and drama programming under "Must See TV." The '90s puts the decline of "Must See TV" solidly in the middle of the GE ownership era. GE owned NBC outright from 1986 (when they bought RCA) to 2009 when Comcast took 51% ownership. Perhaps a shift to cheaper programming was mandated by GE management at some point. It costs pennies to create "reality" TV show versus a well crafted drama or situation comedy with writers and real performers.

The last show I religiously watched from NBC was Seinfeld which ended in 1998, I believe. I don't watch much TV now only one show religiously on CBS and one on AMC. I watched a fair amount on FOX until about three years ago. NBC and ABC I have rarely turned on since the year 2000. That being said I am more likely to pick up a sitcom or drama after someone convinces me to follow it and that is often by DVD or syndication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV