Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 11:34 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,334,970 times

Advertisements

Light as a Feather...
It's like Pretty Little Liars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 04:47 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,671 times
I just finished The Handmaid's Tale. I had resisted watching it because the subject matter seemed too intense for me. It was really good, but emotionally draining!

Old 04-15-2020, 08:13 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
I'm looking forward to Mrs. America tonight (premieres)---about the women's right movement---Cate Blanchett playing Phyllis Schafly, Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem, and a whole host of other really good actresses. It still amazes me that someone like Cate Blanchett would be in a made for TV miniseries--I'm so old that to me people are either film actresses or TV stars---no self-respecting/successful actress who did movies would do TV...

Old 04-15-2020, 12:39 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,346,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
I just finished The Handmaid's Tale. I had resisted watching it because the subject matter seemed too intense for me. It was really good, but emotionally draining!

Agree. Someone asked me for a one-word synopsis and I said "DARK." There is so little to cheer about. I hope there is only one more season and they tie up all the loose ends!!

Old 04-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I'm looking forward to Mrs. America tonight (premieres)---about the women's right movement---Cate Blanchett playing Phyllis Schafly, Rose Byrne as Gloria Steinem, and a whole host of other really good actresses. It still amazes me that someone like Cate Blanchett would be in a made for TV miniseries--I'm so old that to me people are either film actresses or TV stars---no self-respecting/successful actress who did movies would do TV...

Just watched the first episode and will do the other two later today. Although I disagreed totally with Schlafly I like Cate Blanchett and her portrayal I think will be very engaging. The inherent hypocrisy of her position is already evident in the first ep.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:09 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Just watched the first episode and will do the other two later today. Although I disagreed totally with Schlafly I like Cate Blanchett and her portrayal I think will be very engaging. The inherent hypocrisy of her position is already evident in the first ep.

I just watched the first episode. I had no idea that Sclafly was that bright! Knowledgeable about nuclear policy! Cate Blanchett is wonderful in it. I had to laugh when they were discussing what true Republican ideology was (limited federal government, states' rights)---if she was alive today, wonder what she would think about the current regime?

Old 04-18-2020, 08:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I ended up watching all three episodes last night and LOVED them. Maybe because I was born in the 60's and I can remember every one of these characters.

Cata Blanchett is excellent. As smart as she is - I can't figure out why she is determined to make herself a second class citizen.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:24 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
I started "Dead Like Me" yesterday evening. Never heard of it but I am a Mandy Patinkin fan so I'm giving it a shot. I like it so far.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 PM

33,301 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Whenever it was this season that the 12th episode of Stumptown had aired, I was caught up right after that 12th episode appeared on Hulu.

Until this last weekend I hadn't watched more and, starting on Saturday, I watched Episodes 13-18.

After Episode 18 (the last one), the queue automatically rolled into Season 1 Episode 1 of NYPD Blue.

I watched the first six episodes of Season 1 of NYPD Blue. By the end of the 12 season run in 2005 I think I'd seen all or almost all of the episodes. A number of familiar faces popped up while watching the six episodes. That started me on looking some things up on IMDB and Wikipedia and continuing on in sort of a 'six degrees of' fashion. I learned some new things. Morgan Fairchild was married once, and has been divorced for over 45 years. That isn't interesting, but I found part of her ex-husband's background interesting. He was a musician and inventor who I had never heard of, but I found one particular part of his teen years interesting. He and two of his friends had been in different bands, and they decided to form a band together to sort of corner the local market on prom gigs and the like. The two friends were Boz Scaggs and Steve Miller. I remembered that former Bond girl Barbara Bach and Ringo from The Beatles (who turns 80 in a few months.......man does time fly) have been married for almost 40 years (after meeting filming that awful movie 'Caveman'), but I didn't know that her younger sister is married to Joe Walsh from The Eagles. I also wasn't aware of the extent of The Eagles co-founder Randy Meisner's issues (substance abuse, other health, marital, psychological, financial, and his wife accidentally shooting and killing herself). I enjoyed his contributions to both Poco and The Eagles. I have both of his solo albums from that post-Eagles era, 'Randy Meisner' and 'One More Song', and I feel bad for him.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I ended up watching all three episodes last night and LOVED them. Maybe because I was born in the 60's and I can remember every one of these characters.

Cata Blanchett is excellent. As smart as she is - I can't figure out why she is determined to make herself a second class citizen.

And I'm older than you so I remember it in "real life" as well. I also worked in NYC many years and remember Bella Abzug standing at an entrance in Grand Central Terminal asking for votes near election day...I remember thinking "do not get between a running-late commuter and her train" .

I also binged the first 3 eps...need to catch up on this week's. I wonder if they are setting up a fallout between Phyllis and her sister-in-law...a minor scenario but it is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV