Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:13 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
So I picked up my $29.99 Roku Express streaming stick, plus 2 $10 Insignia indoor antennas, last night from Best Buy. Nice surprise from BB in my email, a code to get Sling TV free for 30 days!

Can't believe that internet alone from Spectrum costs $69.99 for 60 Mbps, but that still is less than half what my cable bill was. Now I just need to get the Roku Express+ for $35 from Walmart for my son's tv,which works on the old CRT TVs, because Best Buy doesn't have them!

Should be hooked up tonight or tomorrow.
It does? That makes me mad, lol. I didn't need to upgrade my BR TV. I hardly ever watch it. My CRT is now sitting useless!

Too late! There is an LED TV in there now with an antenna and a blu-ray player to do double duty as a streaming device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
So I picked up my $29.99 Roku Express streaming stick, plus 2 $10 Insignia indoor antennas, last night from Best Buy. Nice surprise from BB in my email, a code to get Sling TV free for 30 days!

Can't believe that internet alone from Spectrum costs $69.99 for 60 Mbps, but that still is less than half what my cable bill was. Now I just need to get the Roku Express+ for $35 from Walmart for my son's tv,which works on the old CRT TVs, because Best Buy doesn't have them!

Should be hooked up tonight or tomorrow.
Do you need that much speed? I asked AT&T to give me the lowest speed I need for what I use. I asked last night what that is and I'm 99.9% sure she said 24 Mbps.

Right now two TVs are streaming, and I'm on the PC, so whatever I have is plenty.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I ended up with a fire stick - mostly because I went to Meier's and they had little choice! Now all I have to do is get my Hulu subscription. . . .
If you have a Plenti card, sign up through them for the points. I got a plenti card last night and linked it to all the places I will use it. My TV's played Hulu shows all night that earn me points. And you might actually want to watch one that earns points. I was watching 'Casual' anyway.

anyway, there are bonus points for signing up to hulu through Plenti.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,796,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you need that much speed? I asked AT&T to give me the lowest speed I need for what I use. I asked last night what that is and I'm 99.9% sure she said 24 Mbps.

Right now two TVs are streaming, and I'm on the PC, so whatever I have is plenty.

No I'm sure I don't, but it is what comes with the new Modem I will get from Spectrum when I drop the TV/Phone modem off and pick up the new internet only one.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:30 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,758,955 times
I own both devices, the latest models, Roku Stick 2016 and Fire Stick with Alexa. I hooked both to my TV in the bedroom. The Roku can't get the signal even though my tablet works perfect in the same room . The Fire Stick works flawlessly in the same TV in the same place. The router is approx 40 feet away. Unless your router is close by I would go with the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick also comes with a free HDMI extender which the Roku does not (you can get one by contacting them). The Fire Stick seems to work faster.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,590,188 times
I either own or have owned pretty much all of them. I started with the Sony network box, and then moved on to Roku.

Roku is nice, but required me to download and pay for an app that gave me access to all of the tv shows I like to watch (Playon). The interface for Playon was archaic and difficult to navigate. I also had buffering issues with Roku.

When the Chromecast came out I bought one to try, and while it does very well at streaming from Youtube or Netflix, it is choppy when trying to cast from a laptop browser. I have it on my outside TV now so that I can cast YT from my phone while grilling.

I purchased a Firestick as soon as Kodi was available. I have Prime and use it frequently to watch shows and movies. But I also use Kodi to catch up on series that I cannot get since I don't have a Netflix/Hulu account. The FS never buffers, is very easy to navigate, and seems to move much faster through the interface than my Rokus. I actually sold the Roku boxes and replaced with Firesticks and couldn't be happier.

While it does require a "little" bit of technical knowledge, there are some very detailed write ups explaining how to side load Kodi. Since Android is open source, you aren't installing "bad" software and Kodi doesn't replace the OS on the stick. It works as an app just as Amazon does. Further, you're not going to be denied support because Kodi is installed if something fails.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I own both devices, the latest models, Roku Stick 2016 and Fire Stick with Alexa. I hooked both to my TV in the bedroom. The Roku can't get the signal even though my tablet works perfect in the same room . The Fire Stick works flawlessly in the same TV in the same place. The router is approx 40 feet away. Unless your router is close by I would go with the Fire Stick. The Fire Stick also comes with a free HDMI extender which the Roku does not (you can get one by contacting them). The Fire Stick seems to work faster.
Have one story ranch, concrete block built, in FL
Have Frontier cable and wifi
Our bedroom is across house from the modem in the main living area
I use a Roku streaming stick on bedroom tv--we use a Sony DVD player for streaming in the main living area

I have trouble w/my iPad when I am in bedroom and try to stream--
If I take it into the bathroom to watch something while I brush my teeth I often lose signal
But my Roku has no problem once I open it up--
Mine is older model--maybe 2-3 yrs--no 4K capacity like some newer models

I read recent review online from maybe CNET comparing the various streaming devices
Roku got the nod from that article--

Old 07-16-2018, 10:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I either own or have owned pretty much all of them. I started with the Sony network box, and then moved on to Roku.

Roku is nice, but required me to download and pay for an app that gave me access to all of the tv shows I like to watch (Playon). The interface for Playon was archaic and difficult to navigate. I also had buffering issues with Roku.

When the Chromecast came out I bought one to try, and while it does very well at streaming from Youtube or Netflix, it is choppy when trying to cast from a laptop browser. I have it on my outside TV now so that I can cast YT from my phone while grilling.

I purchased a Firestick as soon as Kodi was available. I have Prime and use it frequently to watch shows and movies. But I also use Kodi to catch up on series that I cannot get since I don't have a Netflix/Hulu account. The FS never buffers, is very easy to navigate, and seems to move much faster through the interface than my Rokus. I actually sold the Roku boxes and replaced with Firesticks and couldn't be happier.

While it does require a "little" bit of technical knowledge, there are some very detailed write ups explaining how to side load Kodi. Since Android is open source, you aren't installing "bad" software and Kodi doesn't replace the OS on the stick. It works as an app just as Amazon does. Further, you're not going to be denied support because Kodi is installed if something fails.
This is NO fee to USE a Roku device---nada, zilch
There IS a fee for certain streaming apps/sites--Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS streaming site, SHOtime, HBO--
Etc...
Some of the Roku interfaces are different for sites than you might encounter using a different device--like an IPad with the site's IPad app, or using a smart TV or DVD device to connect with any app--
I find that annoying because some are not as convenient/user friendly as others
But it comes because all devices use different programming designers to construct their site and its access to streaming apps...

There are FREE/no subscription apps that have streaming content--but most of it is older and frankly not that appealing which is why it is free...
Roku itself has a streaming app--separate from just the nexus provided by buying a Roku device--that is free

Apparently there are posters online who continue to say that there is a fee for using a Roki device
I can only assume that is deliberate attempt to keep people from buying a stick or larger device...

Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,451,063 times
Just went to order something on Amazon and see the FireStick is 19.99 right now and Fire TV is 34.99 because it's Prime Day. So if you're a member and know someone who wants one, act now.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM

5,225 posts, read 3,560,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Just went to order something on Amazon and see the FireStick is 19.99 right now and Fire TV is 34.99 because it's Prime Day. So if you're a member and know someone who wants one, act now.
I grabbed the 50% off Firestick for $19.99 during Prime Day for only one reason: TCM. TCM has always been the missing link in my cord cutting, not available on Roku & just about the only channel I watched regularly when I had cable besides news.

So now I have 3 inputs going to my TV: Roku for 99% of viewing; soon the FireTV for TCM & Chromecast which I only use to cast video from my laptop/phone, primarily used for live British TV that can be found online here & there without needing a vpn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV