Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 10:18 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
That needed a massive script revision before they started shooting.
I disagree, but, it took me a little while to realize that the shows non-linear narrative switched chronology frequently and without warning, but that's better than a white on black screen saying "earlier...".

I liked it, it's true to both sources (the game and the books), disappointing there's only 8 episodes, but the second season in in production. That said I can understand why viewers unfamiliar with the source might find it confusing.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:16 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I liked it, it's true to both sources (the game and the books), disappointing there's only 8 episodes, but the second season in in production. That said I can understand why viewers unfamiliar with the source might find it confusing.
I never read the books or played the video game, and I was never lost. It did throw me a bit at first with some of the pacing of one of the character's storylines, until I realized there were different timelines going on. Then it made sense.

If Fantasy fiction isn't your thing, then you probably won't like this show. Hated CONAN and never got the fascination with LORD OF THE RINGS or GAME OF THRONES? This show isn't for you. If you did like those things, you might like THE WITCHER.

I really only had one serious complaint about the show: The sets look great. The CGI is actually really good. But a lot of the costumes look like costumes, and most of the weapons and armor look like plastic props and not real steel with weight. In a few scenes it is so bad that it really pulls you out of the Fantasy. Many scenes don't look like real characters but actors playing dress-up.

The actors are great though, particularly the three leads.

My summary review of THE WITCHER: It's thoroughly okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 02:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
The first episode was quite good, but after that is just dragged on. I mustered the courage to watch 3 episodes, but that's all i can take.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Watched the first episode last night. I have not read the book(s) or played the video game. It was a bit confusing for me. But Henry Cavill is easy on the eyes.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:22 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
Just watched E5. It continues to grow on me. I plan to continue tomorrow night before or after the His Darkest Materials finale.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:16 PM

283 posts, read 289,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Just finished episode 3 last night so far I’m liking it looks like Netflix pulled money from somewhere nothing at all seems low budget. Good cast, interesting plot lines, etc. wish there was more then 8 episodes in the first season. For those of you needing cliff notes here you go.

BTW never read the books myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3B...&feature=share
I liked it! Not bad first season, and it’s only GoT-ish because it’s a fantasy with violence, profanity and nudity.

I kept thinking too how Netflix can manage to afford these shoes/movies with demanding budgets, but I guess they do bring in some $$$

Old 12-23-2019, 07:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Anyone whose read the books will be disappointed with the show that’s typical. I read GOT years ago ,so I don’t remember much of how the books went. I was a big fan of the vampire chronicles by and Anne Rice great story!! Then Interview With The Vampire came out and the movie was more then decent. Then Queen Of The Dammed was TERRIBLE from the word go. I plan on watching the last episode tonight after work i look forward to the next sea myself!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:56 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I never read the books or played the video game, and I was never lost. It did throw me a bit at first with some of the pacing of one of the character's storylines, until I realized there were different timelines going on. Then it made sense.

If Fantasy fiction isn't your thing, then you probably won't like this show. Hated CONAN and never got the fascination with LORD OF THE RINGS or GAME OF THRONES? This show isn't for you. If you did like those things, you might like THE WITCHER.

I really only had one serious complaint about the show: The sets look great. The CGI is actually really good. But a lot of the costumes look like costumes, and most of the weapons and armor look like plastic props and not real steel with weight. In a few scenes it is so bad that it really pulls you out of the Fantasy. Many scenes don't look like real characters but actors playing dress-up.

The actors are great though, particularly the three leads.

My summary review of THE WITCHER: It's thoroughly okay.
I also thought the armor looked like it was pulled right out of The Witch 3. Cavill is OK, but he just seems far stiffer than Geralt in Witcher 3. The Triss Marigold actress was jarring coming from the game. At least where I am on the show, there's no explanation of her abilities yet.

I also don't care for how dark the cinematography is. The games were not this dark. I never read the books.

It's OK, not world-breaking. I did enjoy the Yennifer backstory.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:47 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
OK on the whole timeline thing after 5 episodes and having read the first two books I had a Dah moment......

Spoiler
Ciri is the child born to Queen Calanthe's daughter after the "right of suprise" moment at the engagement party and fight? That is why Ciri is linked to Geriat?? Therefore since Ciri appears to be 15 or older those timelines are atleast 15 years apart???

Old 12-23-2019, 12:35 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I just realized that the series is finally airing on Netflix. I will start watching tonight. Anyone watched the first episode yet?
I'm lying low, sinus infection/feeling of malaise since Friday … watched the entire season this weekend.

Loved it.

My only experience with the genre is having played through Witcher III in its entirety on my PS-4.

Perfect casting for Geralt (one minor nit, I expected more of a gravelly, deadpan delivery like Clint Eastwood). Perfect casting for Yennifer.

They dropped the ball with casting a black woman for pale, freckled, bright red-haired, green-eyed Triss Merigold. They should have created a new character if they absolutely had to have the black actress. The other black-for-white actress, Fringilla, seems more of a minor role though I am curious how she got her hand back after it withered. (Think she was originally a boyish white woman with a short, black pixie haircut).

I was pleased not to see the injection of the usual Netflix SJW "wokeness" into the storyline.

The landscapes and set pieces were well done, the inns and farms and what-not. The sword-play was great, and the gore wasn't over-done. I thought the few monsters they introduced were well done as well. The music score fit, it wasn't "in your face", more background and a pleasant accessory.

I prefer a linear story, this one jumps around in time a fair amount, you sort of have to see the approximate age of the supporting characters (Geralt always looks the same) in a scene to figure out where it falls on the timeline.

I'll watch season two when it comes out (in a year or so I guess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV