Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We finished it yesterday. We think we liked it

Now, would someone please explain it to me so that I can try to explain it to MrsM

I'll try.

A Witcher is a travelling monster hunter-for-hire. He has been chemically and magically altered to possess super-human capabilities like holding his breath a long time, slowing his heart rate, casting minor magical effects (gout of flame, force battering ram, globe of protection), "cat eyes" that see in the dark.

He travels the land getting paid for plying his skills. Some countries/provinces treat mages very well and some regard them with suspicion, Some hunt them down and execute them. Geralt crosses paths multiple times with a few of them in his travels. Different countries/kingdoms are at war or on poor terms.

Some of the monsters possess characteristics of humanity. Some of the humans are the real monsters. See the scene in the dragon episode where a gangly, starving monster is looking for food and the brash knight beheads it for no reason.

Geralt was bonded with a young princess to protect and guide her since her birth. Season one was a series of happenstances culminating in them being united.

Hope this helps a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 03:51 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
I'll try.

A Witcher is a travelling monster hunter-for-hire. He has been chemically and magically altered to possess super-human capabilities like holding his breath a long time, slowing his heart rate, casting minor magical effects (gout of flame, force battering ram, globe of protection), "cat eyes" that see in the dark.

He travels the land getting paid for plying his skills. Some countries/provinces treat mages very well and some regard them with suspicion, Some hunt them down and execute them. Geralt crosses paths multiple times with a few of them in his travels. Different countries/kingdoms are at war or on poor terms.

Some of the monsters possess characteristics of humanity. Some of the humans are the real monsters. See the scene in the dragon episode where a gangly, starving monster is looking for food and the brash knight beheads it for no reason.

Geralt was bonded with a young princess to protect and guide her since her birth. Season one was a series of happenstances culminating in them being united.

Hope this helps a little.

That I get!

It's the constant time shifting that made us nutz

Old 01-08-2020, 04:41 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That I get!

It's the constant time shifting that made us nutz

Yup, I get that. It doesn't help that Geralt looks the same (I think the process of becoming a Witcher also gives them a long life-span). I had to rely on how the young Princess' grandfather looked as he did appear different (hairstyle, beard) across the annoying and confusing jumps in time.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:58 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Any movie or TV show where you have to do homework is a failure on the part of the filmmaker. If I have to go read nine books to understand your movie, then you've made a confusing movie. That's on you.

No. You just pitched business to writer who wrote the books, to online site that maybe hosts them, to library to provide them to you, to gas company to buy gas to drive to all those places.
It's good marketing.

As of the dreaded time shifts, which indeed at some point became really confusing, with dead queen that suddenly reappears alive and well for few episodes and never changing Yennifer (I am presuming, shifts covered about what - 11 years?) - try watching Arrow. I had to quit, period.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:37 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
As of the dreaded time shifts, which indeed at some point became really confusing, with dead queen that suddenly reappears alive and well for few episodes and never changing Yennifer (I am presuming, shifts covered about what - 11 years?) - try watching Arrow. I had to quit, period.
Yennifer in the show is around 100.

Geralt is around 80.

(Both +/- 5 years)

Shifts covered far more than 11 years. She was trained 70+ years before Ciri was born.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:56 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I found the very first episode a bit confusing, but then I saw a video that gave some general background stuff before I watched the second one, and it let me know that there are timeline shifts, so I was prepared for it. And I didn't really find it confusing or hard to understand after that.

But then, I also really enjoyed WestWorld and there are a number of overlapping timelines in that show, and the whole second season was, I think, designed to deliberately confuse to some extent...so this ain't my first rodeo, and it wasn't the hardest time-shifty-thing I've watched in the last year or so either. *shrug*

Old 01-11-2020, 05:56 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
The Witcher was good enough that it's biggest flaw is that I have to wait until 2021 to see more.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:54 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Interactive map and timeline, if you're still confused:

https://www.witchernetflix.com/en-gb

Old 01-20-2020, 03:34 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I wasn't really interested in the Witcher after seeing all the previews, but so many people have been telling me to watch it that I plugged through it over the weekend. Have to hand it to the production, for a show that made very little narrative sense, it was compelling to watch. The writers could have done a better job in world building, it that, like others have said, a viewer shouldn't have to do a bunch of homework to make sense of the characters, their motivations, and the mythology in a fantasy series. I didn't feel a great connection between characters that were supposed to be bound to each other. Also, for all the gratuitous boobs, there needed to be an equal amount of gratuitous Henry Cavill or equivalent.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:00 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wasn't really interested in the Witcher after seeing all the previews, but so many people have been telling me to watch it that I plugged through it over the weekend. Have to hand it to the production, for a show that made very little narrative sense, it was compelling to watch. The writers could have done a better job in world building, it that, like others have said, a viewer shouldn't have to do a bunch of homework to make sense of the characters, their motivations, and the mythology in a fantasy series. I didn't feel a great connection between characters that were supposed to be bound to each other. Also, for all the gratuitous boobs, there needed to be an equal amount of gratuitous Henry Cavill or equivalent.
I had to watch it twice. But then it made a whole lot more sense! For example, there are scenes and dialogue in episode 1 that don't really mean anything until you see episode 8. I'm talking about the scene where young Ciri suddenly glances toward a vacant doorway as she plays Knuckles with her friends. That move is explained in #8.
If you watch it twice you will find parts of yourself and parts of current events.
* The school where Yennefer learned her craft is later filled with students who have no power, but who's tuition has simply been bought.
* Istredd is happily working at an anthropology site which is ruled by the evil Nilfgaard. He explains that everyone gets something and discounts the fact that Nilfgaard kills many, many people in the process. That's a tactic used by Hamas...
* Watch what Yennefer's unbridled ambition does to her and her love life.

Anyway, if you are interested in completely understanding the story (and there IS one!) I encourage you to watch again and stitch it together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV