U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 PM

4,646 posts, read 2,165,540 times

Advertisements

Is Bill Maher anti-Muslim? I know he says he is an atheist but he really seems to hate Islam. After I heard him support Trump's declaration of Jerusalem as Israel's capital I had to turn his show off. He is not even that funny and quite ill-informed, and I think he knows that, because he seems quite insecure, his top ten segment is a waste of time. His guests are the best part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:58 PM

667 posts, read 327,249 times
Bill Maher is an Islamaphobic bigot who hides behind "atheism" to express his views. It's the one thing I can't stand about him. All other issues, he's fine, but when it comes to his so-called "atheism" that's when he gets stupid.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 PM

8,397 posts, read 6,092,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Bill Maher is an Islamaphobic bigot who hides behind "atheism" to express his views. It's the one thing I can't stand about him. All other issues, he's fine, but when it comes to his so-called "atheism" that's when he gets stupid.
I agree with you. I watch it every week. I enjoy some of his guests and even his point of views on the administration but his rhetoric against Muslims is dishearting even though I have Christian values.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:41 PM

29,530 posts, read 12,666,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I agree with you. I watch it every week. I enjoy some of his guests and even his point of views on the administration but his rhetoric against Muslims is dishearting even though I have Christian values.
Bill Maher is not for everyone. That's true of most comics, but even more so if they are politically edgy. I think he's terrific.

Yes, Bill does go on rants on his HBO show about Muslims. However, I think he has a valid point. What he says on his HBO show is that yes, only a minority of Muslims are radical and terrorists, but that the rest of the Muslim world rarely speaks out against the radicalism, and as I recall, at least one poll he cited on his HBO show showed quite a bit of silent support for radical Islam even by those who were not radical themselves.

BUT, I can say the same for the radical religious right in this country, and on his HBO show Maher has pointed that out a number of times, as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM

8,397 posts, read 6,092,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Bill Maher is not for everyone. That's true of most comics, but even more so if they are politically edgy. I think he's terrific.

Yes, Bill does go on rants on his HBO show about Muslims. However, I think he has a valid point. What he says on his HBO show is that yes, only a minority of Muslims are radical and terrorists, but that the rest of the Muslim world rarely speaks out against the radicalism, and as I recall, at least one poll he cited on his HBO show showed quite a bit of silent support for radical Islam even by those who were not radical themselves.

BUT, I can say the same for the radical religious right in this country, and on his HBO show Maher has pointed that out a number of times, as well.
This isn't the political thread but I'll say. Again, I enjoy watching his show. He has an issue with organized religion, in general. We all know that. But he does make some broad statements about Islam and Muslims that I find disheartening.

For example:

He said Islam is the motherlode of bad ideas. That's not a minority he speaks of. He is speaking of the religion as a whole.

He said hundreds of millions of Muslims support terrorists. Most Muslim people in the world condone terrorism.

He has compared the boy from One Direction Zayn with the Boston bomber.

Then the fact that he had Milo on his show promoting his views...It's just a few of the many things that display his pattern of negative views.

I'm tuning in now.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 PM

He has an audience that cheers for him somewhat stupidly and he gets very upset when his joke bombs. But even the audience booed over his remarks on Muslims,Palestinians and Israel in a recent Real Time.
I agree that he hides behind atheism in order to attack Islam and Muslims.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,729,526 times
I don't find him to be an Islamaphobe. He believes that our politicians are not doing enough publicly to speak out against the acts that radical Muslims are committing in the name of their religion. He also is disgusted with moderate Muslims for not publicly denouncing what goes on.

My impression is that, in general, he disdains the religion as he does all other organized religions; however, he is angry about the "PC" treatment of this one our leaders not being more vocal/outspoken about the more heinous behavior that occurs in the name of Islam.

I don't think he hides behind atheism at all. He is an atheist and he does not like the pussyfooting leeway given to radical religious groups.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:04 AM

16,438 posts, read 6,346,623 times
That is why God made a channel changer.(remote)

Old 02-10-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't find him to be an Islamaphobe. He believes that our politicians are not doing enough publicly to speak out against the acts that radical Muslims are committing in the name of their religion. He also is disgusted with moderate Muslims for not publicly denouncing what goes on.

My impression is that, in general, he disdains the religion as he does all other organized religions; however, he is angry about the "PC" treatment of this one our leaders not being more vocal/outspoken about the more heinous behavior that occurs in the name of Islam.

I don't think he hides behind atheism at all. He is an atheist and he does not like the pussyfooting leeway given to radical religious groups.
He is anti-Muslims.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM

667 posts, read 327,249 times
Why do people think that if they underline or bold parts of their text, this is going to make their point more valid or something?

I've been watching Bill Maher going back to his Politically Incorrect days. He has always had a problem with Muslims in general and seen them as a monolithic entity. He's entitled to feel that way, but my issue is that I don't like how he disguises his hateful views under the veneer of atheism and intellectualism. It's neither atheist or intellectual to mindlessly hate members of race or creed, so it irritates me when he hides behind those things to express that hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV