U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 07:29 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,360,086 times

Advertisements

(This is more a rant & rhetorical question).

It seems like fewer and fewer 'documentaries' are crafted to actually explain things, to people who are curious and love to learn, while more and more have blatant, clearly artificial drama as if the producers feel they have to inject tension and excitement to attract and keep their audience.

They are easy to spot, as they start to explain things, ... and then .... (excitement builds) ... it starts to rain and nobody brought umbrellas! Oh No, the project is at risk, everybody will fail, <cut to commercial>. Coming back from the break, the host suddenly finds that everyone actually paid attention to the weather forecast and were prepared after-all.

Next commercial break, it's another possible catastrophe, "will they make the nearly impossible to complete deadline?" .... but it's averted (because the deadline wasn't really that impossible, or hidden).

Why produce a show that by-definition should be targeted to a demographic that is intelligent and curious about how things work, and then make the show as if they are trying to attract viewers who are like excitable teenagers with no common sense that could care less about how it works.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 AM

12,582 posts, read 15,346,953 times
Because they get good ratings which sells advertising and makes money for the networks. That's all television is about making money.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:35 AM

4,505 posts, read 2,717,995 times
Docudramas are no more truth than any other scripted show. All television is scripted.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 11,946,862 times
Reality TV is not meant to be documentaries. There are still good documentaries on PBS, Netflix, even YouTube.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,546,595 times
Snowflakes.....drama queens.....soyboys.....etc.

Honesty and integrity seem like foreign concepts.......

Old 02-25-2018, 09:49 AM

27,372 posts, read 30,125,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
(This is more a rant & rhetorical question).

It seems like fewer and fewer 'documentaries' are crafted to actually explain things, to people who are curious and love to learn, while more and more have blatant, clearly artificial drama as if the producers feel they have to inject tension and excitement to attract and keep their audience.

They are easy to spot, as they start to explain things, ... and then .... (excitement builds) ... it starts to rain and nobody brought umbrellas! Oh No, the project is at risk, everybody will fail, <cut to commercial>. Coming back from the break, the host suddenly finds that everyone actually paid attention to the weather forecast and were prepared after-all.

Next commercial break, it's another possible catastrophe, "will they make the nearly impossible to complete deadline?" .... but it's averted (because the deadline wasn't really that impossible, or hidden).

Why produce a show that by-definition should be targeted to a demographic that is intelligent and curious about how things work, and then make the show as if they are trying to attract viewers who are like excitable teenagers with no common sense that could care less about how it works.
Are you talking about reality shows or actual documentaries? Can you give an example?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:09 PM

6,836 posts, read 2,068,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Snowflakes.....drama queens.....soyboys.....etc.

Honesty and integrity seem like foreign concepts.......
Don't forget SJWs.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:17 AM

8,224 posts, read 9,840,651 times
I'm wondering if the OP isnt mistaking "how-to" shows for documentaries. An example would be a show like Bob Vila's "This Old House" where he showed you how to do the "project of the week" versus a show like "Rehab Addict" where you have the implanted drama of "omg we tore down this wall and found a broken pipe, how will we ever finish on time under budget?!?!?!"

Otherwise documentaries are alive and well. The Smithsonian channel has some fantastic ones as well as American Heroes channel.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Status: ""I ain't always right, but I've never been wrong"" (set 25 days ago)

5,613 posts, read 6,354,229 times
I think the OP is referring to "implanted drama". I know what he means, and while it's not my biggest peeve in life, it is slightly irritating.

These are real documentaries, not reality shows. But they tend to end each segment, before a commercial break, with a little flair, a little drama, a little "oh no!". I was watching one this weekend on building a 19 mile tunnel under and around Copenhagen, for their new subway/transit system. And one segment ends with them hitting some water underground, that starts to flood the tunnel, and the way they break for commercial, it's like "will the entire project, gazillions of $$$, be over before it starts, due to flooding in the tunnel". And when they return after break, they simply shore up the walls, put in some drains, and concrete over it. Two minutes later, we're on to the next challenge.

I do understand why they do it, but at the same time, if they didn't, would it really make for a boring doc? I watch a fair number of these type shows, and all of them do it. 100% of them.

OP--if you are referring to something else, enlighten us.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:25 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,360,086 times
I understand the difference between a "Reality Show" like Survivor or American Idol and a "Documentary" like Nova, Horizon, Modern Marvels (my favorite), American Experience, or anything by Ken Burns.

What I'm complaining about are shows like
The Curse of Oak Island (TV Series 2014 (just mentioned in a different thread), a super interesting topic very poorly handled in this version.
Mega Machines (TV Series 2018

They are obvious in that they focus not on the "who, what, where, how, when, why", but the problems plaguing the users, easily viewed in commercial-delimited segments.

And just to be clear, drama and a personal touch isn't a bad thing, IE: Top Gear (and Grand Tour), have those, but they are still informative without artificial drama getting in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV