Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The Wire is serialized, not episodic you can't watch an hour from here and there . I normally don't even try to explain the show if the other viewer had not gotten to "the scene" with Wallace. And I always advise to go that far if you are not hooked by then drop out.
When is that? I tried twice. I made it to the f word episode that someone mentioned I should. I still can't get drawn in and I'd like to be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You can keep picking on a scene or two, and try to bolster the claim you made way back in Post #1; "What's so great about The Wire?". If you think one short scene in the pilot justifies your feelings, more power to you.

We have patiently tried to show you why The Wire is on most every critic's Top Ten list. It was groundbreaking TV, and for many of us, one of the most compelling TV series we've ever seen. But it's not for everyone. I have friends who have tried, and just didn't like it. That's life. But don't try to explain to us why it's no good. You don't have to justify not liking it. But don't try to tell us why we're all wrong.

I may not believe in God, but I have more sense than to stand in the middle of a church on Sunday and try to tell everyone why THEY'RE wrong.
Right. I don't have any complaints, it just doesn't seem to be for me. I think I'm bored. Not relating to any of the characters. IDK, it just doesn't grab me.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:04 PM

17,755 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Yes, but you can start at the beginning of any season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But not knowing all the past history of the characters and plots puts you are something of a disadvantage
Consider S3 the education series with Prez where he is—for a start
That is a great season because of what went before
S2 w/McNulty on the boat—and the fact that his FBI buddy in S1 confided that the FBI was basically giving up the war on drugs in America to fight the war on terror—
Which really made S2 possible to large extent...

I am not saying that it has to be watch sequentially—
But I have seen it 4 or 5 times probably and rewatching it now from S1E1 I catch things I either didn’t or just hadn’t remembered and feel are new...

There is a specific story line for each season and some new characters to fill that specific area of info
But it is more valuable if it comes to you with the background in focus...
I agree, but it still works out just fine. The Sopranos and several other series were set up that way also - so you could start at the beginning of any season.

For the people who can't seem to get into the show, I'd suggest to try starting with season 3.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think at the time the only faces that I recognized was a reoccurring newspaper editor played by Clark Johnson who was one of the other detectives on Homicide Life On The Street. And in the second season, the white season focusing on the Checkers Union and the Greek connection for the importation of the drugs there was Chris Bauer who played one of the star officer's husband on Third Watch which was in production at the same time as The Wire.

However race was always a part of The Wire's story. When BET got it in first run syndication they cut so much of the dock workers, or white drug dealing folks out of their showing that you never saw that the initiation of the case was a police major being jealous that a memorial to longshoremen and not police was going up at the local Catholic Parrish so he just started an investigation to see where they got the money from to outbid the cops.
I don’t think Clark Johnson made an appearance until S5 which was the newspaper season==
But I think he did direct some of the episodes in the earlier seasons

Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM

Just started S2 and sure enough Clark Johnson was listed w/cast
Haven’t seen him yet—just on E1–but Taiko was correct...
Been a while since I saw the series...

Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 AM

I am really appreciating this series with every episode I rewatch

In S2—the corruption on the docks/checkers’ union w/the foreign drug/prostitution angle
There is episode where technology with its myriad positives and negatives comes home in various ways—
The tennis ball Herk and Carver have “mic’ed” w/a remote capable of surviving in the “harsh urban environment”—only it wasn’t
Ziggy’s stolen Sony cameras w/their digital memories that don’t need developing which foreshadows all the sexting people can do now w/digital platforms
The state of the art robotic machinery that threatens the checkers and other stevedores’ jobs
“You can’t be injured if you aren’t working”...
The computer system that allows the task force to find the targeted containers
(And all that older technology is a trip down memory lane from just 2002)

And all of that technology

Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,546,818 times
And so many of the actors from The Wire have appeared in other series (and movies) that I love.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 PM

OK
Am watching on Hulu this season of Law and Order SVU—E13–“A Story of More Woe”
Two sisters report a man breaks into their apartment, assaults one of them and kills their dad.
Autopsy results don’t jib
When Carese and Finn go to the apt to do an onsite investigation, the sisters’ story get more obviously wrong...(more woe)...

The detectives are like McNulty and Bunk in S1 E4 of The Wire—where they used the F word when investigating a murder scene—
Except since SVU is regular tv they use the word “Crap”
It is kind of a neat tribute although a little lame at the same time...
“Crap” definitely lacks the emotional variety of the F word and sounds like these are the two nicest detectives in NYPD...

Old 02-26-2019, 01:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
That's exactly what I pointed out to my wife when we watched that scene.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:28 PM

I watch a lot of crime/police/mysteries and I think that is the first time I have seen the recreation of that scene from The Wire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV