Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM

375 posts, read 297,173 times

Advertisements

Are any of you guys getting into the current 31 Days of Oscar month long special series that TCM is doing? They're really showing some fantastic films, all of them Oscar winners in one category or another. They're doing it in alphabetical order, and are up to the G's now.

Grapes of Wrath in tonight's prime time offering. Me and DW are getting ready to chill back with the popcorn and watch it.

So are any of you also enjoying it? Comments? Critique? What's your favorites they've shown? Do you think they slighted any favorite flicks of yours? Sound off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 07:52 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
I didn't know about it but thanks to you, I just went through a couple days and set up a few recordings of various titles that looked interesting.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Thanks for the tip! Set up a few future recordings

Old 02-12-2017, 01:44 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,729,914 times
I look forward to 30 Days of Oscar every year. TCM shows some great films that don't get screened that often. That said, I tried to watch Harvey tonight for about the third or fourth time and just couldn't get into it, much as I love Jimmy Stewart.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
TCM is my favorite channel.

Unfortunately I've seen most of these movies dozens of times. They aren't making any more good old movies.

But I always watch The Best Years of our Lives when it's on. And I did watch Harvey again. Josephine Hull is a hoot.

Not all of the movies won Oscars; they just need to have had one nomination.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Stayed up way too late watching GWTW again.

I love TCM and miss Robert Osborne. I like Ben Mancewicz too. Not so much the new hosts.

TCM does tend to repeat a lot of the same films, but every now and then I catch something new and they offer alternate programming like foreign silent films. I also watched part of The Gorgeous Hussy for the first time. Didn't know anything about the history so had to look it up on Wiki.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:31 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
Some recommendations:
Friday at 10:00 pm. Mr. Roberts
Saturday at 5:15 pm. The Music Man
Sunday at 4:30 am. Ninotchka
Monday at 7:45 am. Penny Serenade

Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
Ooh so glad I saw this post. I am not a big movie person but definitely prefer the older ones. I hope I can remember this.
I adore Music Man!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I look forward to 30 Days of Oscar every year. TCM shows some great films that don't get screened that often. That said, I tried to watch Harvey tonight for about the third or fourth time and just couldn't get into it, much as I love Jimmy Stewart.

I loved Harvey and when the taxi cab driver started telling his aunt how nasty people were when they came out of that supposed shock therapy and how they were nice when they went in and then when they came out they were horrible people and she started thinking about that really hard . I would like to think that all of us would be that way but we know that is impossible . That movie made me go through a whole box of Kleenex the first time I saw it and I watch it everytime I can and it has the original maytag man actor in it .yes I know I m aging myself I don't care I loved jimmy stewart . I also like anything with fred macmurray in it mostly Disney movies with him though . That man mcmurray died leaving a lot of money behind because he was thrifty, he would take his lunch in a brown paper sack to the movie set . His daughter got all this money and she was able to live a comfortable life because of her dad . She never married nor did she have any kids . Interesting what you find out when you start digging about these movie stars .

Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
February is usually the best month for watching movies on TCM; the rest of the year it's pretty much hit or miss with the selections, and many are repeated during the same month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV