Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times

Advertisements

"Cut the cable." That really confuses me.

First let me tell you what I came down to: I get free network TV through a digital antenna (pc. of plastic about 8" by 8") hanging on the wall behind the set; and through cable (Fios), I pay for internet only and have a subscription to Amazon Prime (used to have HULU and NetfLix).

So if I cut my cable, no internet. Is there another way to receive movie subscription channels on my smart TV?

Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
"Cut the cable" refers to cutting cable TV. It does not refer to cutting internet. You can't stream anything without internet.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:55 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
I am currently trying out YouTube TV. I am tired of paying DirecTV over $140 per month (and that is without any premium channels). So far, so good, although I would lose a few channels that I occasionally watch. It's $49.95 per month with no contract, cancel any time.

This came about because I bought a new 4K television for the living room. In order to get the equipment from DirecTV, I would have to commit to two more years and an increased price. That sent me searching for something else. Since AT&T took over DirecTV, their customer service has gone in the dumper (and I suspect that the call center is in India, from the conversations that I have had).

Old 02-14-2020, 10:41 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
"Cut the cable" refers to cutting cable TV. It does not refer to cutting internet. You can't stream anything without internet.
Exactly.

I extend the term "cut the cord" or "cut the cable" to mean "get rid of all services controlled by the provider" - which includes cable television, phone service and alarm/security services.

With few exceptions, providers can't jack you around with broadband. Net neutrality has not (so far) been a problem; anyone with any broadband service from any provider in the US can access pretty much any info source, site or service they like. THAT'S what you're getting by cutting the cord: independence.

Which means the grossly overpriced TV service can't be yanked around, adding and dropping channels and changing prices and changing the mix of add-ons and upper tiers so that most viewers are forced to buy the most expensive set of options just to get the selection of channels they want.

Which means you don't get charged a copper-era price for a phone line.

Which means you aren't bound to the provider's marketing efforts and the continual barrage of bundle changes and upgrades and intro rates and other BS.

Which means you can choose your own TV providers, including nothing but free ones, and add/drop them on no more than a monthly option. And choose your own phone provider, if you still use a house or small business phone line, and at a wide variety of cost and service levels. And add any internet-driven service you like from any provider - alarm, whatever.

In the end, some users may not save much, especially if they're still heavy service users and were relying on bundle/package pricing from the broadband provider. But cost almost always goes down and freedom of choice among service providers grows infinitely. (Oh, and you're free to choose any internet provider in your area, regardless of whether they have competitive cable, phone and other services - it no longer matters how many cable channels they offer, if any at all.)

It's not "cutting off TV." It's cutting the ties that bind you to an overpriced, manipulative, PITA provider.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Message above reported.

Do not, under any circumstances, buy a no-name or generic "Android box" or equivalent for streaming TV use. The brand name ones are cheap, work incredibly well and self-update continuously.

The generic boxes have two questionable advantages: for advanced Android/Linux tinkerers who don't want an intelligent device in the house that can't be reprogrammed, and for those who are either stupid or greedy enough to run Kody and other pirateware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV