Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 02:44 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Another 'Cousin Oliver' situation was when young Leonardo DiCaprio (!!) was added to the cast of Growing Pains.

At least when Married with Children briefly added a kid (one of Peggy's relatives dumped their young son on the Bundys) they did it mainly to send up the whole Cousin Oliver phenomenon, in much the same way MWC satirized all other aspects of family-oriented sitcoms.
Oh Leo. If I remember correctly, I think that was one addition I may have liked. Of course I was a preteen at the time.

Didn’t they do that on another 80s family sitcom. Who’s the boss or Family Ties maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 03:11 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Oh Leo. If I remember correctly, I think that was one addition I may have liked. Of course I was a preteen at the time.

Didn’t they do that on another 80s family sitcom. Who’s the boss or Family Ties maybe?

You're thinking of Growing Pains. Not only did they have a baby, they took in another boy (Luke) which was one of Leonard DiCaprio's earliest roles.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:21 PM

946 posts, read 565,438 times
The Walking Dead.

Killing Glen was not a good move, but I got over it. The problem was what happened after. The rest of the season was about picking up the pieces from that episode. It stopped being about killing walkers and more about humans fighting each other.

Also, maybe this is just me, but Season 7 looked cheap. Everything is more gray. Did they use a different filter or something?

Old 04-23-2020, 04:43 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Throw in The Partridge Family and All in the Family. You know the series is nearing its end when that happens.
I hope the OP can humor me for straying off-topic, but the little girl on "All in the Family" has had quite an interesting career. She was in the original Broadway production of Annie and she's the little girl sampled on "it's a Hard Knock Life" in the Jay-Z song of the same tune. She was a percussionist and keyboardist for New Radicals. Her solo material is criminally underrated, though one of her solo songs is featured in the movie As Good as it Gets. She and the New Radicals frontman have written singles for other acts like Donna Summer, Maroon 5 and Natasha Beddingfeld.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:

They also did it on Family Ties. One of the problems with many of these sit coms is that they set up the family with moms (sometimes dads, but always moms) who are in their 30s, and are playing the moms of teens. So then the actress playing the mom would get pregnant in real life, and they would write it into the show.

Quote:
Oh yes, the dreaded baby plot line. Or the new adorable kid who moves in with the family. I think that was on the Brady Bunch? Well it’s been a plot in numerous shows, but for some reason I’ve got the Bradys, Hoxtable’s, Smith’s (ala Fresh Prince), and Scooby Doo come to mind. Now I’m going to have to look and see which ones actually had this plot line.
LMAO at the inclusion of Scooby Doo.

But yes, when the writers need to bring in a new kid, they've totally run out of story with the current characters, who have aged out of the stories they want to write about. It's time to just end the show.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:00 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Oh yes, the dreaded baby plot line. Or the new adorable kid who moves in with the family. I think that was on the Brady Bunch? Well it’s been a plot in numerous shows, but for some reason I’ve got the Bradys, Hoxtable’s, Smith’s (ala Fresh Prince), and Scooby Doo come to mind. Now I’m going to have to look and see which ones actually had this plot line.
Baby: Bones, Murphy Brown, The X-Files, Roseanne, Friends (I could probably come up with more if I kept watching them).

On what show did Leonardo DiCaprio go?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:07 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Baby: Bones, Murphy Brown, The X-Files, Roseanne, Friends (I could probably come up with more if I kept watching them).

Leo was on growing pains.

Murphy Brown baby- that totally killed that show. Friends and bones baby was bearable because that made sense given where the main characters were in their lives.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:25 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I found the way they handled it on Friends to be impressive -- they wrote it into the story because they didn't think they could hide it, but they didn't make the character actually become a mother. They didn't have to become kid-focused.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:22 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Quote:
the little girl on "All in the Family" has had quite an interesting career.
Danielle Brisebois also played Greg Sumner's daughter, Mary-Frances on Knots Landing.

I thought Avery's birth was not the death-knell of Murphy Brown. The decision to give Murphy breast cancer, and to make it a season-long plotline, was what made the show sad and depressing. I felt bad for her, of course, but having the show focus on a cancer diagnosis kind of kills the 'comedy'. It makes you feel guilty to be laughing if your lead might be dying. Avery as an adult was the (one) bright spot of the reboot two years ago.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,263,045 times
It used to be that the main characters of a show weren't the main focus of the plots, it was the murder of the week or whatever the story was that week. For example, we never saw anything about the private lives of the characters on Perry Mason except when one of Mason's clients hid out at Della apartment, and then we just saw that she had an apartment.

Each episode used to be self contained. Each episode of Bonanza began with four men living together with a Chinese cook and ended with four men living together with a Chinese cook. Their situation only changed if one of them left the show. If one of them got engaged, they had to kill off the girl so they could start off the next episode with four single men living together again.

The OP talks about Hawaii Five-0, a perfect example. In the series with Jack Lord, the show was about the murder of the week. The main characters were there just to solve the murder. But in the current series with Alex O'Loughlin, everybody has a back story and we learn all about their private lives.

The problem is that you have to watch every episode of the series like it's a soap opera. Otherwise you don't know what's going on. Characters show up that were introduced several episodes back. If you didn't watch that episode, you have a hard time following the plot. This may not be big a deal with first run broadcasts when you can keep up with the stories, but when you're catching random episodes on TNT or TVLand or whatever, shows can be confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV