Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 06:01 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times

Advertisements

I'm on a Perry Mason binge kick right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 12:18 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I once read that during the show's run , Hamilton Burger had a stroke & began to slur his words . The producers
of the show wanted to replace him , but Raymond Burr , who was a loyal friend , insisted that
he stay on in his role and somehow they worked around this .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-24-2022, 01:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I sed to watch "Perry Mason" growing up in the 80s as my dad was a big fan. I can still watch an episode here and there now, but I'm not a huge fan of TV from that era. Every episode was pretty much the same. Mason only defended innocent clients. The police and prosecutor always got outsmarted by Mason. Good TV for that era, I suppose, but it has mainly aged well as a time capsule more than anything.

Talking about future stars though, I went to it's IMDb page of one of the series' highest rated episodes, The Case of the Final Fade-Out S9, E30. (Thirty episodes? Can you imagine that? Among the guest stars are Denver Pyle, later Uncle Jesse on "Dukes Of Hazzard, Richard Anderson, later Oscar Goldman on "Six Million Dollar Man" and Dick Clark who was already doing "American Bandstand" by this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI85N24U View Post
I loved the Perry Mason series, especially for the cool B&W images of 1950s-60s California locations. And of course, Della.

I bought the first part of Season One DVD about a decade ago, and I'm going to start adding more seasons in the next couple of months.

However, as they were/are somewhat costly (I haven't checked recently), I'll do a search for specific episodes featuring guest stars that I like, and start with those seasons, then go from there, if need be.
Look on eBay where I get a lot of my DVDs. First season here in $17, but the whole series is $95. The latter would save money in the long run.

Perry Mason on eBay

Old 04-24-2022, 02:03 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
We watched the entire series from first episode to last on IMBd. After my wife got her Today Show "fix" every morning, we switched over to watch Perry. Because of health problems she can't get up and do much so the TV is on 24/7. Can't think of the series we watched after Perry Mason but right now we're on the 4th season of Little House on the Prairie.

I know I've posted this before, but on roku I found the very first season of Dragnet after it moved from radio to TV. Somebody took that channel off air.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:23 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I read this post to my wife last night and neither one of us could think of the series we watched after we finished Perry. She told me this morning it came to her around 2 AM on her "potty trip". We watched the entire series of St. Elsewhere on IMBd next. Believe that's where Howie Mandel got his start.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:46 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I read this post to my wife last night and neither one of us could think of the series we watched after we finished Perry. She told me this morning it came to her around 2 AM on her "potty trip". We watched the entire series of St. Elsewhere on IMBd next. Believe that's where Howie Mandel got his start.
I think it's great there are places where we can watch these old TV shows and the entire series of them. I may have to look up the St. Elsewhere series as that one was a favorite of mine when it was on.

Spoiler
Putting this comment in here because it's kind of off topic.

If you have a Roku box or the Roku channel on your TV, check out Sue Thomas FBI. It's a cute show that ran from 2002-2005. It was originally a Canadian TV show so I don't recall it ever being on U.S. stations but it's sweet and no bloodshed. It's a show loosely based on the real-life FBI agent, Sue Thomas, who happens to be deaf. The actress who portrays Sue Thomas is also deaf in real life. Her name is Deanne Bray. I don't know whether she's still active in the acting industry but she's a cutie.

You might like that show. It's shown on the Roku Live Channel and is also on the Roku Channel.

Yannick Bisson stars in the show as well. He's currently starring in The Murdoch Mysteries.

Perry Mason is also available on the Roku Channel

Old 05-06-2022, 12:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Perry drives a different car almost every episode.
The cars actually changed with the season, not by episode.

The first year had Mason in a Cadillac and Drake in a Corvette.

From then on Mason drove big Ford convertibles and Drake drove Thunderbird convertibles, each advancing a model year for each season.

Della Street was so rarely seen behind the wheel that I remember only two occasions. One where she drove Perry's Cadillac and another where her friend was in trouble and sat in Della's car. I can't remember what kind of car it was.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:49 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
The cars actually changed with the season, not by episode.

The first year had Mason in a Cadillac and Drake in a Corvette.

From then on Mason drove big Ford convertibles and Drake drove Thunderbird convertibles, each advancing a model year for each season.

Della Street was so rarely seen behind the wheel that I remember only two occasions. One where she drove Perry's Cadillac and another where her friend was in trouble and sat in Della's car. I can't remember what kind of car it was.
The first season they changed often due to having a couple different auto sponsors:

https://www.metv.com/lists/perry-mas...cars-ever-made

https://journal.classiccars.com/2021...-classic-cars/

Old 05-20-2022, 03:20 PM

70 posts, read 32,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
...Look on eBay where I get a lot of my DVDs. First season here in $17, but the whole series is $95. The latter would save money in the long run.

Perry Mason on eBay

Thanks for the tip (I just saw the whole series for $69, which is close to what I shelled out for part 1 of season one back then!), as I soon started buying quite a lot of my DVDs from used music stores, garage sales and pawn shops, I just never considered buying used DVDs from the net without getting to see the condition of the discs in person first.

PM will definitely go on the back burner for now, though, as I still have Get Back and the completely restored seasons 1&2 of The Ozzie & Harriet Show on pre-order, the latter of which just got pushed back to June 21 of this year (darn…why didn’t David marry a girl named April instead of June!).

I bought the deluxe/best-of Time-Life O&H box set last year, and the episodes look great.

If both the above DVD orders get shipped this year without any more delays, I'll celebrate and ring out the old year with the full PM series purchase in December.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:24 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I forgot what a great show this was. I am making the most of my CBS All Access, which I got to watch Star Trek. I love the old LA scenery, before they ruined it with modern buildings. The cars are awesome with a real thunk when they close the doors (not like the tin cans of today). I love Perry's Caddy (when they were the car everyone aspired to)
https://www.metv.com/lists/perry-mas...cars-ever-made

The acting was quite inspired, not like the sleepwalking we get today. Today, everyone and their brother (and sister) are actors whether they can act or not. This was the Golden Age of TV for me, including the Fugitive, Have Gun Will Travel, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and others. TV today for me is rubbish, there is so much filler that finding a decent show would take a lifetime. Cheap to produce reality TV and bean counters taking over instead of artist is the norm and the youth of today are satiated with it. Too bad all we have is old folks like me, reminiscing about it.
Perry Mason has become one of my Covid Times guilty pleasure. With my attempts at avoiding the disgusting politics and the disgusting way our Country has been run, I cannot stand to watch even the local news, so I've been watching shows like this from the late 50s and very early 60s, good stufff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV