Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 03:58 PM

9,207 posts, read 6,332,413 times

Advertisements

Netflix recently raised their prices.

"Netflix is introducing price hikes for its US subscribers today, increasing its standard plan to $14 a month and its premium tier to $18 a month.

The new pricing for the standard plan is a $1 price increase (from $13 a month), while the new premium tier cost is a $2 increase (from $16 a month). New subscribers will have to pay the updated monthly fees, while current subscribers will see the new prices over the next few weeks as they roll out with customer’s billing cycles."
(https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/29/...oduct-features)

HBO Max is $15, Hulu Live TV 5/2017: $40, 1/2019: $45, 12/2019: $55, 12/2020: $65

Do you get the feeling that the streaming services are slowing raising the pot to boiling but since it's incremental we keep the subscriptions going?

Bundled cable is looking better and more appealing than cobbling together these various streaming services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,272,978 times
Agree. I have Netflix and Amazon; however, Amazon is close to becoming a monthly service. Dropping it and then just signing on for one or two months a year to watch some of the shows they do I actually like (Ryan, Bosch, etc.) Their shipping has gone from two days to who knows, and since I moved to ID from a small town in SE UT, I have other options than Amazon.

Netflix, as much as their price increase is not friendly, I still watch them more and more due to the fact new shows are terrible so time for the older ones has come.

Might do the two months a year with HBO maxx sometime; Hulu live with no commercials if more than my Dish, so why change?

Old 12-29-2020, 07:13 AM

11,396 posts, read 16,787,464 times
Def noticed streaming services raising their prices over the last few years.

IMO they're getting greedy, like the cable companies.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:46 AM

9,207 posts, read 6,332,413 times
I've gone back to cable. Logistically, it's easier to have a single guide on the screen than having to open and close apps, even with the smart TVs.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,264,593 times
First, all prices go up over time. Newspapers, Netflix, rent, wages, cars, etc all go up over time. Commodities (oil, food, etc) are some of the few items based more on raw supply & demand, that don't always go up. It's not some nefarious plot, it's life in a capitalistic society.

Netflix could keep their prices the same as when they first started. But then I assume everything else would stay the same--we would order DVDs from them, they would mail them, we would watch on a DVD player. And Amazon could keep their prices the same, before Prime. But then all we would order from them is books, and they would be mailed second class, and take a week to arrive.

OR...

These companies could change, grow, improve, innovate... and yes, charge us more. They could invent streaming shows instead of mailing DVDs. Then they could start making their own series, instead of just streaming movies & TV shows. They could start selling other products in addition to books. They could come up with two day shipping (which seems commonplace now, but was AMAZING when they first offered it).

The ones that don't innovate, and don't ever need to raise prices, they join Blockbuster.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,259,311 times
Does Blockbuster even exist anymore?

I have no problems clicking on my apps on my tv to get better stuff to watch and I don't even have a smart tv.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 988,354 times
I found Netflix to be not worth the money a few years ago. Dropped them and haven't looked back. Their movie selection gradually got worse over time, to the point that I barely used it, and I don't watch new TV shows these days.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:37 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,169,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
First, all prices go up over time. Newspapers, Netflix, rent, wages, cars, etc all go up over time. Commodities (oil, food, etc) are some of the few items based more on raw supply & demand, that don't always go up. It's not some nefarious plot, it's life in a capitalistic society.

Netflix could keep their prices the same as when they first started. But then I assume everything else would stay the same--we would order DVDs from them, they would mail them, we would watch on a DVD player. And Amazon could keep their prices the same, before Prime. But then all we would order from them is books, and they would be mailed second class, and take a week to arrive.

OR...

These companies could change, grow, improve, innovate... and yes, charge us more. They could invent streaming shows instead of mailing DVDs. Then they could start making their own series, instead of just streaming movies & TV shows. They could start selling other products in addition to books. They could come up with two day shipping (which seems commonplace now, but was AMAZING when they first offered it).

The ones that don't innovate, and don't ever need to raise prices, they join Blockbuster.
The thing is, these streaming channels were sold to us as a lower cost alternative to cable. Now they're creeping up to about the same price.

I understand we pay for innovations, but they're saving a ton of money by not paying for the infrastructure that cable requires, and not paying for technicians to come out and hook each house up and equipment to receive the signal and by not paying for mailing costs for sending discs out etc etc etc.

I understand feeling snookered into switching. But like the OP, I guess if a lot of us are unhappy we can go back to cable if we feel like it's a better value.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:48 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,904,278 times
Not sure what you're saying. Did you think the prices would never rise? Do you want them to wait until the rise is double?

Old 12-30-2020, 11:55 AM

29,780 posts, read 34,545,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
The thing is, these streaming channels were sold to us as a lower cost alternative to cable. Now they're creeping up to about the same price.
It's not even entirely about the price, it's that now there are so many options. A few years ago, if you cut the cord you could have Netflix, Prime, maybe something else, and be done with it. Now there's Disney, and Discovery+, and HBO Max, and BritBox, etc. etc. There's an expectation that you're going to juggle services and subscribe and cancel as needed, which is a lot more upkeep than a lot of people want to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV