Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 04:35 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Netflix provides content ratings and descriptions of series. Subscribers with a delicate sensibility can research the programs that are available. What users decide to watch is ultimately up to them. Caveat emptor, etc.
What options are there for someone who wants to watch well-acted historical films without people rubbing their crotches together every so often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 04:42 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What options are there for someone who wants to watch well-acted historical films without people rubbing their crotches together every so often?
You're on the internet--look it up. You can go into your content settings and set a parental control to restrict everything that's TV-MA, R, NC-17, etc. Or, when browsing, don't push play on a title with those ratings.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:46 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
I listed several options of historical TV shows or movies that don't have much/any graphic sex in them - they are all well acted and written in my opinion. If you're not interested in them, then your only option is the fast forward button. Netflix are unlikely to offer censored versions of shows because there's too much risk that you might miss something important. And there's no need for them to do so since they offer plenty of family friendly content that you could watch instead.

You've gotten numerous suggestions on how you can avoid or deal with shows with lots of content you don't like, but you just keep asking the same question as though you haven't gotten tons of advice. I'm sorry if you don't like the answers you got, but that's the reality of the situation, and you need to learn to deal with it.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Reading and comprehension are lacking for some.
You mean like not reading or comprehending maturity ratings? I agree.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:08 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz713 View Post
Oh yes, haven't you seen the warnings about SMOKING!!!!!!!!

Hilarious, ain't it?
I watched The Crown today and saw that along with smoking, nudity, language, violence (maybe a few more things) there was a warning about eating disorders. Way over-the-top with these warnings - the show is very tame.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I watched The Crown today and saw that along with smoking, nudity, language, violence (maybe a few more things) there was a warning about eating disorders. Way over-the-top with these warnings - the show is very tame.
That's precisely why they do it - lots of viewers of tame shows are exactly the type of people who object to stuff like this. I remember when Downton Abbey had a rape scene, and it was not graphic at all (more suggestive than anything) - but there was a huge outcry because viewers weren't expecting something like that from such a tame show. People were even demanding an investigation. Rape is certainly a sensitive subject, but there's plenty of shows that depict much more graphic and violent rape scenes that don't get complaints because people expect it from that type of show, but they don't from a show like Downton. I think it's less about the content being offensive, and more about people's expectations. I think many of the complaints may have come from people who might have contently watched more graphic scenes in other shows, but because it was Downton, even such a tame rape scene seemed inappropriate for such a show. It's not that people felt the content was inappropriate in general, only that it was inappropriate in Downton. So, as a result, it sometimes seems like the more tame a show is, the more warnings it has.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...estigation-itv

"The controversial rape scene in ITV drama Downton Abbey will not be investigated by media regulator Ofcom despite more than 400 complaints from viewers.

The regulator said it would not be taking any further action over Julian Fellowes' controversial storyline in which lady's maid Anna May Bates, played by Joanne Froggatt, was attacked and raped by a guest's valet.

The scene in the Sunday night period drama, watched by more than 9 million people, prompted outrage among some viewers and a huge amount of coverage and debate in the media. A total of 244 complaints were made to Ofcom, with around 200 received by ITV.

But Ofcom, having studied the show and the complaints, said on Monday that it would not be launching a formal investigation of the broadcast.

The regulator decided that any potential offence was justified by the context in which the scenes were represented. It also took into account the incident was broadcast at 9.45pm, after the watershed, and was accompanied by a clear pre-transmission warning by ITV.

Ofcom also took into account the fact that there were no graphic scenes of the attack itself, which took place off screen behind closed doors.

It is understood that a number of the complaints were from people who did not think the storyline was necessarily an appropriate theme to be exploring in a Sunday night period drama."

Old 01-04-2021, 12:00 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Actually it does matter because I don’t think many original Netflix series have the graphic sex scenes, but it seems to be almost a requirement for a series on Showtime, HBO, or Starz. I was fine with it at first but it does get old. Many of those historical shows would be good to watch with the kids but I can’t because of the unnecessary scenes that really don’t add anything to the plot.
Let me ask you this question. Do you think that the executives who run Showtime, HBO, and Starz just sat around and said, "Let's put a lot of sex in our shows", or do you think they did some studies to determine what their paying audience wanted?

Old 01-04-2021, 12:01 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So you missed one of the best series on television I’ve ever seen, Breaking Bad and it’s close second, the prequel Better Call Saul.

I resisted watching for years because I had absolutely no desire to watch a show about meth, but I finally gave in and watched. I’m so glad I did! I normally hate that type of content but the show creators really know how to write and get good performances out of their actors. I highly recommend both shoes in the order they were released.
It just doesn't interest me.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:36 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Turn: Washington Spies is a great Netflix show that doesn't have much sex/romance in it.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Turn: Washington Spies is a great Netflix show that doesn't have much sex/romance in it.
That's because it was originally on AMC, which as a network, while it does have violence, it doesn't have too much nudity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV