Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 02:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times

Advertisements

Assuming we are not including analogies......

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057798/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

The Wild Wild West
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058855/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

F Troop
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058800/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A toss up between The Baron
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059966/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_3
and The Saint
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055701/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_3

The Adventures of Robin Hood
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047706/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 04:23 PM

5,471 posts, read 8,202,022 times
I forgot one. VICTORY AT SEA (1952-1953). With Richard Rodgers and Robert Russell Bennett music performed by the NBC Symphony Orchestra. Probably the grandest TV show music of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onlF...oryAtSeaOnline

Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 PM

18,242 posts, read 25,899,930 times
Andy Griffith
Milton Berle Show
Pat Boone Chevy Showroom
Red Skelton
Leave It To Beaver

There are lots of others!

Old 02-17-2021, 04:48 PM

12,404 posts, read 8,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I forgot one. VICTORY AT SEA (1952-1953). With Richard Rodgers and Robert Russell Bennett music performed by the NBC Symphony Orchestra. Probably the grandest TV show music of all time:
I had no ideal that it was produced that early. I think it only ran in syndication on my local stations during the NFL off season when NFL Films had fewer of their shows on by the time I saw Victory at Sea in the 70s if my memory serves.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:48 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,575,265 times
I know I've already posted on here a couple times, but just wanted to add, I watched the very first episode of "Car 54, Where Are You?" on roku last night. I remember watching that in the afternoons.

OOH! OOH! Frances!

Old 02-17-2021, 05:01 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,658,133 times
My earliest TV Memories (circa early to mid 1960's):

- Lassie
- The Jimmie Dean Show
- The Wonderful World of Disney
- Bewitched
- The Monkees
- F-Troop
- Batman
- The Green Hornet
- The Chipmunks (cartoon)

I also remember the annual broadcast of the Rogers and Hammerstein production of "Cinderella" (with Leslie Ann Warren as Cinderella), and the annual TV broadcasting of "The Wizard of Oz" 1939 movie.

Oops, sorry, more than five.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:14 PM

21,488 posts, read 10,605,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The character’s name was Keith Partridge, and the actor/singer’s name was David Cassidy (stepson in real life to his on screen mother, Shirley Partridge, played by Shirley Jones who was married in real life (at the time) to Jack Cassidy, David’s father. Shaun Cassidy is Shirley and Jack’s son, and David’s half brother).
You’re right. I mixed them up in my mind. I knew it was David Cassidy because I remember a few years later I had a crush on Shaun Cassidy. I know I have a picture somewhere of either me or my friend Kristin wearing a t-shirt with a photo of Shaun Cassidy on it. We were both idiots about him. Looking back I get David but not Shaun, but it makes sense for an 8-year old girl lol.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:43 PM

5,471 posts, read 8,202,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I had no ideal that it was produced that early. I think it only ran in syndication on my local stations during the NFL off season when NFL Films had fewer of their shows on by the time I saw Victory at Sea in the 70s if my memory serves.
Oscar Hammerstein put words to one of the Victory at Sea themes, and it became a hit song in 1953:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l19...nnel=catman916

Old 02-17-2021, 05:49 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,767,584 times
I was fascinated with aviation at a very early age so;
Sky King
Whirlybird
Ripcord
and the usual western oaters;
Have gun will travel
Bonanza

Old 02-17-2021, 08:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,138,584 times
Lots of good responses in this thread, I remember Soupy Sales from all the game shows and never paid much thought to him. he had a pretty good career back in the 60's that I was unaware of, just watched a few clips from his old shows, not too shabby, I probably would have watched Lunch with Soupy Sales had I been older, guess he really thrived in lots of different shows back then.

I remember the women in our family really had a thing for Marcus Welby MD, he seemed a bit past his prime, but had the "super dad" background with the long running Father Knows Best, which gave Robert Young some extra appeal? I faintly remember the older sister liked Medical Center too, which adopted a cool opening theme after several seasons. She always had her friends over to watch American Bandstand, my cue to go find something to do outside, lol.

I really liked Price Is Right, good show for a little kid to learn about money, timeclocks and checking out the prizes which got people excited, with the fast talking sales pitches from Johnny Olson, or Monty Hall on Let's Make A Deal. Early to mid 70's, I was much more familiar with the nightime PIR with Dennis James, as we were always in school for the daytime version. The night version also had the best music variants composed by Edd Kalehoff.

Sesame Street was launched in 1969 but we did not have a PBS affiliate in Sioux City until 1975, but the show occasionally aired on another local channel before then, really liked the characters, especially Cookie Monster & Oscar. I liked the Electric Company too with "Letter-Man", but for some reason I did not care for Mr. Rogers, or Captain Kangaroo. Scooby was the most indispensable cartoon of Saturday morning, followed closely by Superfriends, Land of the Lost, and Fat Albert. Also enjoyed all those old 60's cartoons, JQ, Herculoids, Flintstones, Jetsons. And the older 60's cartoons that faded away, Bullwinkle, Underdog, Go Go Gophers, Commander McBragg, Fractured Fairytales, the animation was so crappy in those, but dialog and writing was witty and above average for a cartoon.

Yes, we always watched Wild Kingdom and Disney movie on Sun night, a must. And big yes to Space 1999, best sci fi show of the 1970's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV