Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 04:16 PM

927 posts, read 421,067 times

Advertisements

Would a family like Al & Peggy Bundy's be average working class in your area, or closer to social outcasts?
In what kind of conditions would they be living?

Income: one, slightly above minimum wage (salesman in a regular shoe store)
Children: 2, living at home
Savings: little to none
Debts: unknown, but let's assume here that they don't have any, except a mortgage

PS: by area, I mean a metropolitan area or a part of a state. E.g.: Chicago area, East Tennessee, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 05:24 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,782,412 times
I don't really know how to answer that (I guess I would say any urban area in the midwest - Toledo, Green Bay, etc.), but you bring up something I always wondered about when I watched that show. I always thought their house was fairly decent and they lived next door to a successful banker. Yet he is a shoe salesman in the mall.

I get that he was always broke, but in reality they would not have even been homeowners.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:32 PM

Yes, exactly. I've watched a few episodes recently, and found that intriguing.

Plus, Peg and Kelly seem to like shopping and be big spenders.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:46 PM

32,728 posts, read 48,343,949 times
A shoe salesman and a stay-at-home shopper? Unless he is a tremendous salesman, they would be homeless. If he can really sell shoes like a dynamo on commission, they might get an old mobile home.

Or rather: where would they live? In Section 8 housing.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:52 PM

32,728 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
.......but in reality they would not have even been homeowners.

Maybe they inherited the house?

On TV shows, the characters always live in much nicer housing than they should be able to afford. I think that contributes to society's discontent when real people with the same sort of jobs can not afford that lifestyle and think they are being cheated out of their entitled lifestyle. After all, it is all over the telly, so why are they shut out?

Not too far off topic: when I was very young, the neighbors behind us had a stay-at-home mom, five kids, and the husband was a Fuller Brush salesman. They had a decent house, the kids had clothes, and they ate regular meals. Even owned a car. So maybe a shoe salesman could afford a house at one time , in some areas of the country.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Not too far off topic: when I was very young, the neighbors behind us had a stay-at-home mom, five kids, and the husband was a Fuller Brush salesman. They had a decent house, the kids had clothes, and they ate regular meals. Even owned a car. So maybe a shoe salesman could afford a house at one time , in some areas of the country.
Interesting. That's what I was wondering, too. The show started in 1987, maybe things were different back then.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:08 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,598,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Would a family like Al & Peggy Bundy's be average working class in your area, or closer to social outcasts?
In what kind of conditions would they be living..
Cool thread.. growing up, I was a fan of the Bundys. But I did think the series made a (meaningless) mistake in the Bundys' neighborhood placement. The house they lived in was a large 2 story with basement & garage (probably too expensive for a minimum wage, single earner household). And they had well-off yuppie neighbors (Steve & Marcy turned Marcy & Jefferson). Yuppie neighbors bragging about their German cars implies an upper middle class area..

One minimum wage earner trying to feed four people is gonna be struggling a lot more than how Al was depicted..
Al did grow up somewhere close by, probably same socioeconomic class tho, bcuz he and his kids all went to Polk High..

Old 02-19-2021, 07:23 AM

22,035 posts, read 9,623,465 times
Well, they show Buckingham Fountain in the credits so I assume they are supposed to be in Chicago or a suburb of Chicago. Schaumburg maybe?

Old 02-19-2021, 10:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,749 posts, read 81,656,775 times
There are several places where they would fit in about 30 miles from Seattle, such as a trailer park in Marysville or Everett, where you can still buy a doublewide for just $130-200k.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:44 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,180,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
In what kind of conditions would they be living?

Income: one, slightly above minimum wage (salesman in a regular shoe store)
Children: 2, living at home
Savings: little to none
Debts: unknown, but let's assume here that they don't have any, except a mortgage

PS: by area, I mean a metropolitan area or a part of a state. E.g.: Chicago area, East Tennessee, etc.
I'd say such people are the majority in Caribou ME to Blaine WA. Then south to San Ysidro CA, and east to Key West FL.

Many or most Americans live in a TV and social media-addled haze, talking past one another and raising brats. Working unfulfilling and crushing jobs that don't pay well. With significant credit card debt, and wives with entitlement issues. They don't have much, don't go anywhere, don't do anything, all hate each other, and the couple often as not retires 'broke'.

Not how I choose to go through life, but so many do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV