Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 12:10 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,070,500 times

Advertisements

I missed like three episodes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 05:57 PM

19,772 posts, read 10,217,057 times
Guess I am too old. I have no idea who most of those people are. Reminds me of the "celebrities" that I see on game shows. I have to google them to see what they have done.

Old 05-27-2021, 07:44 PM

4,620 posts, read 15,034,488 times
At least I knew two of the three finalists. Again I will say the costumes were really fun even if this season didn't really float my boat.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:02 AM

37,826 posts, read 41,158,528 times
I hated this season. Besides adding contestants which was unfair to the ones there from the beginning:

there's the sub host for part of the season,
Cluedle Doo-Doo just to play a lame joke on a judge foreshadowed in the 4 previous seasons.
having Kermit the Frog as an actual contestant (although they at least axed him in the beginning),
besides not knowing 2 of the 3 finalists (thank God for LeAnn Rimes singing in the finale - she was terrific and had the best performance of the season even though she was just being herself),
besides "the soap opera character" Nicole Scherzinger plays in every season (really, get a new act besides sob sister),
besides the same old "struggles" of every single contestant back story (don't they know any people with a happy history who can be on the show?)

my biggest complaint for Season 5 is the music arrangements. I swear, Ed Sheeran's song "Thinking Out Loud" was totally unrecognizable by Black Swan and she lost me on another one she performed, too, while the judges were all fawning over her performances. I don't think she's a bad singer at all, whoever she is (never heard of her) but she was 1) mismatched with some of the songs she sang and 2) speeding up/jazzing up well-loved songs is criminal.

In the finale I was rooting for "tall guy" (Chameleon) because he killed with "Gangsta's Paradise." I'm surprised, based on what I saw this season, the music arrangers, whoever they are, didn't turn it into a ballad or a polka.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:56 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,657,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I hated this season. Besides adding contestants which was unfair to the ones there from the beginning:

there's the sub host for part of the season,
Cluedle Doo-Doo just to play a lame joke on a judge foreshadowed in the 4 previous seasons.
having Kermit the Frog as an actual contestant (although they at least axed him in the beginning),
besides not knowing 2 of the 3 finalists (thank God for LeAnn Rimes singing in the finale - she was terrific and had the best performance of the season even though she was just being herself),
besides "the soap opera character" Nicole Scherzinger plays in every season (really, get a new act besides sob sister),
besides the same old "struggles" of every single contestant back story (don't they know any people with a happy history who can be on the show?)

my biggest complaint for Season 5 is the music arrangements. I swear, Ed Sheeran's song "Thinking Out Loud" was totally unrecognizable by Black Swan and she lost me on another one she performed, too, while the judges were all fawning over her performances. I don't think she's a bad singer at all, whoever she is (never heard of her) but she was 1) mismatched with some of the songs she sang and 2) speeding up/jazzing up well-loved songs is criminal.

In the finale I was rooting for "tall guy" (Chameleon) because he killed with "Gangsta's Paradise." I'm surprised, based on what I saw this season, the music arrangers, whoever they are, didn't turn it into a ballad or a polka.
I noticed that too about the sob-backstories the contestants had. I rolled my eyes every time. I too did not care for the Kermit the Frog, its like that person never got unmasked, since it was a puppet, there was someone behind the singing. Also the russian dolls were kinda creepy, whenever the puppeteer moved the mouth quickly up and down it looked like something out of a horror movie - you could have a bad nightmare where you see these tall scary looking lifeless things coming at you with teeth chattering (like that character in the movie Hellraiser).

Old 05-28-2021, 07:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,034,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I noticed that too about the sob-backstories the contestants had. I rolled my eyes every time. I too did not care for the Kermit the Frog, its like that person never got unmasked, since it was a puppet, there was someone behind the singing. Also the russian dolls were kinda creepy, whenever the puppeteer moved the mouth quickly up and down it looked like something out of a horror movie - you could have a bad nightmare where you see these tall scary looking lifeless things coming at you with teeth chattering (like that character in the movie Hellraiser).
In many ways this season has been less family-friendly than previous seasons. The costumes less warm-fuzzy and more edgy, the female judges' attire more revealing. (I am not a prude, but a do draw a line for 8pm TV shows.) And yes more sob-stories, each seeming to try to be more tear-jerking than another.

Lol I actually liked the surprise of Kermit! Yes, he's a puppet, a fictional character, operated by an invisible human. But he was fun and light and one of the few happy-happy-joy-joy moments of Season 5. Best of all, once unmasked I recognized him! ... unlike most of the other performers whom I had never heard of or was unfamiliar with their work.

I think it has been the diversity of the show - the wide range/types of costumes, the variety of celebrities from many walks of life, music choices from every genre - that has garnered the appeal of viewers. However, Season 5 in my opinion was less diverse. Maybe the demographics of the viewers has changed so that the show's makeup has changed with it.

I agree that some of the music choices and their arrangements were unconventional, either stretching the vocal range of the performers or becoming unrecognizable. But as I wrote in a previous post, I was glad that the sound was better this season with some of the performers mic'd inside their masks.

One fun thing I have enjoyed watching throughout all the seasons is that once a mask comes off, some performers are so comfortable within their skin that they don't care if their faces are sweaty messes and their hair is going every which way, while others when unmasked are so self-conscious about their appearance that they move quickly to fix their hair and attempt to look "presentable" (like Chameleon who couldn't rip out his ponytail fast enough). To me it's a badge of honor to be unmasked and look a mess - shows all the hard work that goes into making something look effortless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV