U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 06:20 PM

25,642 posts, read 18,754,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
To all of you who know about streaming services, about which I know nothing:
I'm assuming they are just the contemporary, 21st century version of television channels. Which ones are there? More importantly, what are their exclusive programs? (I'm not talking about reruns of regular TV shows.)
Amazon
Disney Plus
Hulu
Netflix
Peacock
Paramount Plus
Roku?
These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head; I'm sure there are others. For the others, could you also list what they air?
How do you watch the programs? On a smart TV with Internet access? On your computer? On a regular digital TV with your computer attached?
How much do these services cost per month? What is the setup fee? What kind of special equipment might you need, where would you buy it, and how much does that cost?
What shows/programming have you found that you cannot watch or access?
And now for my final question--many of you talk about "cutting the cord" of cable and have found that subscribing to streaming services is cheaper. Taking into consideration the new equipment you might need, plus the setup and monthly services fee, what is the price difference?
First, no, what you have listed are content providers which are not equivalent to ”channels.”
The first question everyone needs to ask when deciding to “cut the cord” is: what do I want to watch?
Do you want to continue to “regular” channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, see local news or sports?
Then you may want an OTA (over the air) antenna if your area provides a decent signal.

Do you want additional content as provided by Netflix, etc.?
Do you want to watch on your TV rather than on your phone or other mobile device?
If so, you want (need) a streaming device like a Roku or some other device that attaches to your TV, much like a cable box, and captures signals via a wireless internet connection (yes, you do still need the internet for these services.)

There are several generations and iterations of Roku boxes, detailed here:

https://www.roku.com/

There is a lot of free content available via Roku, including the Roku Channel and one of my favorites, Pluto TV.
For fee-based services, you subscribe on their websites. All of my subscriptions are month to month so that I can watch and suspend as I choose.

Good general info here:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-ultim...-cutters-guide
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 06:24 PM

5,566 posts, read 2,451,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
To all of you who know about streaming services, about which I know nothing:
I'm assuming they are just the contemporary, 21st century version of television channels. Which ones are there? More importantly, what are their exclusive programs? (I'm not talking about reruns of regular TV shows.)
Amazon
Disney Plus
Hulu
Netflix
Peacock
Paramount Plus
Roku?
These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head; I'm sure there are others. For the others, could you also list what they air?
How do you watch the programs? On a smart TV with Internet access? On your computer? On a regular digital TV with your computer attached?
How much do these services cost per month? What is the setup fee? What kind of special equipment might you need, where would you buy it, and how much does that cost?
What shows/programming have you found that you cannot watch or access?
And now for my final question--many of you talk about "cutting the cord" of cable and have found that subscribing to streaming services is cheaper. Taking into consideration the new equipment you might need, plus the setup and monthly services fee, what is the price difference?
I have the Roku device attached to an hdmi port on my TV. I think it cost $50, no subscription cost. I use it to watch Netflix which is $15 a month. Cost wise it is much better value for money than cable TV, though I have that too.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
This is all great info, thanks guys! I find myself probably cutting the cord MUCH sooner than I thought I ever would so I have to do some quick but thorough research. I had been paying about $180/mo for the triple bundle (landline, cable, & internet). Then, I was finally able to get that down to $160/mo.

I have a non-smart TV, so got a Roku a few mos ago & currently have:

Curiosity Stream - On a $12/yr promo. It has tons of great documentaries about anything science, nature, etc.
HBO Max - On a $69.99 for 6-mos promo. I don't like how the movies don't stay on permanently.
Peacock TV - free version, which I don't watch much, so maybe will get the paid version soon

I definitely want channels...

2, 4, 5, 7, 11
Lifetime channel & Lifetime Movie Network
Food TV
Bravo TV
HGTV
Discovery
Investigation Discovery
NatGeo
more that are great to have

Don't need, but would be great:

Tennis Channel
Olympic Channel
Cooking Channel

Re: movies, I like seeing the latest & don't mind signing up for the Netflix DVD program soon:

https://dvd.netflix.com/

It's only $8/mo & I get mailed a DVD movie OR TV show, keep as long as I want, & get another 1 sent when I return the previous one. AND MAINLY, no leaving the cozy house to pick up & drop off (unlike Redbox).

Also, AMC has an On Demand service. It looks like NO monthly fee, you just rent or buy whatever you want for the price. Anyone have this?

I just might get a new TV not too far in the future, so I guess it will be smart TV.

I agree w/ the parts you said that I bolded, but an opportunity has come up that's making me stop cable much, much sooner than I anticipated. One has to watch out. After signing up for multiple streaming services, you could be paying more than cable.

$20/mo sounds pretty good to me, but I'll look more into it.
I have an OTA for my local channels, which works really well for me as I get a good signal.
Another option, which my daughter and son-law have, is AT&T TV. I don’t know what they pay, but they do get their locals, ESPN and could add on Tennis Channel.

I subscribe to TennisTV, which provides coverage for the ATP matches and is great during non-slam weeks.

https://www.tennistv.com/

I have Philo, which I think is great. I subscribed for my Hallmark channels, BBC America and AMC. Great OnDemand and DVR too.
They carry the Cooking Channel, Lifetime, Food Network, HGTV too.
Full lineup here:

https://help.philo.com/channel-lineup/

Last edited by TigerLily24; 07-12-2021 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The worst streaming service to me was Philo. It would have three 6 minute long commercials in each hour program. For a service that cost $20, that is just too many ads.
It’s worth it to me to be able to watch any show from the beginning, and their DVR capabilities are great!

Old 07-12-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
OP did not say if he has a router?
I ditched cable for Boomberg Sling (streaming) but service is not as good as cable,but it is cheaper.
OP did say that she has broadband internet, so likely has decent WiFi.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:56 PM

10,408 posts, read 11,468,059 times
Thank you both for answering! Here's my questions re: your replies:

1) Re: AT&T TV Now to the posters who answered me OR anyone. Their site says, "AT&T TV NOW packages are no longer available for new customers." So does that simply mean that I can't get it (since I never had it already)?

2) I don't know the difference betweent local channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, KCAL, KCOP) & OTA channels, what's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
What streaming services are you going to be using? Not all streaming services have on-demand to watch the new shows later. Netflix and Prime video don't have on-demand. If you get Hulu with ads or no ads you have to wait until the next day to watch your show. I'm not sure about Hulu Live Tv because I don't have it. I used to have AT&T Directv Now but it's changed to AT&T TV Now. I can't remember if it had on-demand. I do remember having 20 hrs of DVR cloud storage and if you wanted more you had to pay extra. With some cable channels if you go to their website or app you have to log in with your cable account info to watch shows.

I just looked at AT&T TV Now lowest-priced package it says

https://www.atttvnow.com/

By local channels do you mean NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC? Or is it OTA channels?

After researching, I think Vidgo & Hulu OR Philo & Hulu are looking good for me, which together seem to have the channels (networks) I watch for the least $.

I don't need to watch things live as they air, in fact, I hardly do that.

Yes, I mean NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC. But, I don't know the difference betweent those & OTA channels, what's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have an OTA for my local channels, which works really well for me as I get a good signal.
Another option, which my daughter and son-law have, is AT&T TV. I don’t know what they pay, but they do get their locals, ESPN and could add on Tennis Channel.

I subscribe to TennisTV, which provides coverage for the ATP matches and is great during non-slam weeks.

https://www.tennistv.com/

I also have Philo, which is $25.00 a month, for my Hallmark channels, BBC America and AMC.
They carry the Cooking Channel, Lifetime, Food Network, HGTV too.
Full lineup here:

https://help.philo.com/channel-lineup/

Thanks, never knew about TennisTV & I'll keep it in mind, but it's just men's tennis it looks like. I want it all & for a little less, the Tennis Channel has all tennis. They just charge by the year ($110/yr) instead of monthly, which I don't like.

I was going to pass on Philo @ 1st because they don't have enough of the channels I watch to be worth getting...at least that's what I thought, but I'll have to tk another look!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 07-12-2021 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you both for answering! Here's my questions re: your replies:

1) Re: AT&T TV Now to the posters who answered me OR anyone. Their site says, "AT&T TV NOW packages are no longer available for new customers." So does that simply mean that I can't get it (since I never had it already)?

2) I don't know the difference betweent local channels (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, KCAL, KCOP) & OTA channels, what's the difference?

After researching, I think Vidgo & Hulu are looking good for me, which together seem to have the channels (networks) I watch for the least $.

I don't need to watch things live as they air, in fact, I hardly do that.

Yes, I mean NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC. But, I don't know the difference betweent those & OTA channels, what's the difference?

Thanks, never knew about TennisTV & I'll keep it in mind, but it's just men's tennis it looks like. I want it all & for a little less, the Tennis Channel has all tennis. They just charge by the year ($110/yr) instead of monthly, which I don't like.

I was going to pass on Philo @ 1st because they don't have enough of the channels I watch to be worth getting...at least that's what I thought, but I'll have to tk another look!
NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX have local affiliates that broadcast over the air within those markets. They generally carry the prime time line-ups.
You can check to see which channels are available OTA in your area here:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

If you prefer to save shows and watch them later, you would need an OTA DVR, like Tablo or TiVO, or, if too much trouble, stick with one of the services like Sling, etc. that offers DVR/OnDemand capability.

P.S. AT&T TV package info here:
https://www.att.com/tv/

Old 07-12-2021, 07:37 PM

3,779 posts, read 1,506,179 times
I used to have Philo

It has a lot of long commercials

Old 07-12-2021, 08:23 PM

10,408 posts, read 11,468,059 times
TigerLiy24, I still don't understand about local & OTA, but I'll try to look it all up. Thanks so much again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I used to have Philo

It has a lot of long commercials

Yes, I heard about that. That's the only thing I'm not liking, but I'll probably try their free trial & see if I can deal w/ it.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:32 PM

8,222 posts, read 9,495,448 times
Quote:
TigerLiy24, I still don't understand about local & OTA, but I'll try to look it all up. Thanks so much again!

Yes, I heard about that. That's the only thing I'm not liking, but I'll probably try their free trial & see if I can deal w/ it.
There is no difference between local and OTA. OTA (over the air) just means via antenna and is just one way to GET those locals (versus cable/satellite)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV