Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 08:42 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
After watching a couple more episodes I agree with you.
McCoy (Waterson) looks like he's on his last legs, (like Biden when he walks).
Is it that hard to find an older authority person with a distinct NY accent?
It would be nice to have one of the detectives make wise cracks like Jerry Osborne did.
Donovan was good in his former show. Not sold on him here.
Orbach, not Osborne, and Waterston not Waterson.

I agree, Waterston looks like he's on his last legs.

Mariska Hargitay is going to be on the finale. Only the third season where she's done a crossover to the mothership.

There will be a Season 22 (the original 20 + this season + next season). It was been renewed.

IIRC, when Season 21 was announced, they said that Anthony Anderson had agreed to one season. We'll see if he'll be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 08:24 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
L&O criminal intent was a classic with Bobby (D'Onofrio) and Nicole pitting their wits against each other.
I thought CI went to the well just a few times too many with Nicole Wallace, but I do think the show was great. I loved when they brought Logan into the fold.

I am still glad they brought the Mothership back even with the issues it has. Glad it was renewed for another season. I am a few episodes behind, but I am going to try to catch up tis weekend.

Old 05-14-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I thought CI went to the well just a few times too many with Nicole Wallace, but I do think the show was great. I loved when they brought Logan into the fold.

I am still glad they brought the Mothership back even with the issues it has. Glad it was renewed for another season. I am a few episodes behind, but I am going to try to catch up tis weekend.

I'd forgotten about the name of that character.

I wonder why that name.

I wonder if Dick Wolf doesn't like the actual Nicolle Wallace (MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace).

Old 05-14-2022, 11:10 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I wonder if Dick Wolf doesn't like the actual Nicolle Wallace (MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace).
No idea, but this would have been long before the real Nicole Wallace landed at MSNBC which she joined in 2015/16, I believe. At the time of the fictional Nicole Wallace, I believe the real one was still working for George W. Bush.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
No idea, but this would have been long before the real Nicole Wallace landed at MSNBC which she joined in 2015/16, I believe. At the time of the fictional Nicole Wallace, I believe the real one was still working for George W. Bush.
I know. I just mentioned MSNBC because that's where she is now. I had 5 years in my head re MSNBC, and that was only wrong by one year, and I had 2011 in my head re Criminal Intent, and that is correct.

One reason I had this thought is because I knew that Wolf and Bush went to prep school together....same class at Phillips Academy. I didn't know if they had stayed in touch, or if not how closely Wolf followed 43, but I thought the real Nicolle Wallace might be on Wolf's radar re that. Her father was an antiques dealer in the SF Bay Area, but her father's father was an antiques dealer in Manhattan/NYC, and I knew she'd been in NYC for some years before MSNBC. I decided (just now) to see if I could figure out when the character was on Criminal Intent. I haven't found that yet, but I did find an interview with Wolf from 2003 where he mentions that he went to a screening at the Bush White house in 2003 and that, at that point, although they had known each other in prep school, they hadn't seen each other since graduation 39 years before that (1964).

I just (after typing the above) typed in (to duck duck go) 'imdb law and order criminal intent nicole wallace' and an imdb hit popped up from September of 2005 (2005 being two years after Wolf reconnected with Bush), and the real Nicolle Wallace was White House Communications Director from January of 2005 until July of 2006. The beginning of the description of this episode....."Bobby and Nicole Wallace match wits again". I then did more clicking (imdb) and determined that that character first appeared on CI in 2002, so it's probably just a coincidence/character not named for the real Nicolle Wallace. By 2002, the real Nicolle Wallace had worked on the 2000 recount, bur her time as the comms diresctor at the White House was still in the future.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:29 AM

Jeffrey Donovan was on Seth Meyers' show last night. They were talking about filming on the streets. He said people sometimes recognize him (and joked that people ask him if they went to high school together), but that it is on another level with Anthony Anderson....that fans call out to Anderson all the time. I remember, years ago, Will Estes saying the same thing re Nicholas Turturro re early (1-3) seasons of Blue Bloods (re his NYPD Blue fame, how his family represents NYC, etc.).

Old 05-21-2022, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Orbach, not Osborne, and Waterston not Waterson.

I agree, Waterston looks like he's on his last legs.

Mariska Hargitay is going to be on the finale. Only the third season where she's done a crossover to the mothership.

There will be a Season 22 (the original 20 + this season + next season). It was been renewed.

IIRC, when Season 21 was announced, they said that Anthony Anderson had agreed to one season. We'll see if he'll be back.

A YouTube video I watched the other day which, IIRC, was from the official Law and Order channel, mentioned that Anderson, Donovan, Dancy, and the female ADA will be back, but didn't mention Waterston nor Camryn Manheim (at all, not one way or another for either of those two).

Old 05-22-2022, 08:17 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Watching the ORIGINAL original L&O all day today - WGN starting from the very early years. The twists and turns of these plots are something else. The few new "original" L&O programs I've seen don't begin to compare. "Indifference" - about the Joel Steinberg/Hedda Nussbaum/Lisa Steinberg incident is unforgettable. If looks could kill, Moriarity's courtroom stare at "Lowenstein" is a classic. L&O careful to say there was no sexual abuse and Hedda Nussbaum didn't kill anyone. Nonetheless, I've never forgotten that episode - nor the followup where they got the same actor to play the depraved Steinberg yet again.

They'll never duplicate this work - not with today's actors and writing.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Watching the ORIGINAL original L&O all day today - WGN starting from the very early years. The twists and turns of these plots are something else. The few new "original" L&O programs I've seen don't begin to compare. "Indifference" - about the Joel Steinberg/Hedda Nussbaum/Lisa Steinberg incident is unforgettable. If looks could kill, Moriarity's courtroom stare at "Lowenstein" is a classic. L&O careful to say there was no sexual abuse and Hedda Nussbaum didn't kill anyone. Nonetheless, I've never forgotten that episode - nor the followup where they got the same actor to play the depraved Steinberg yet again.

They'll never duplicate this work - not with today's actors and writing.
Yes, the original show was nearly incomparable. I watched a few episodes of the new one and lost interest fast. I'll no longer waste my time.

I remember having WGN on my cable lineup, but no longer. I watch L&O classic on WE TV. I've seen most episodes multiple times, but always enjoy them again after a few years.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, John Cullum. He played a couple of other unrelated characters on L&O but I liked that they had more continuity on SVU and had him switch around between judge and defense attorney, and then even added the back story of having been Alex's professor.

There have been a few other times where an actor played multiple characters where they could have been the same judge or defense attorney. But I guess if the person who writes the script doesn't bother, it doesn't happen.
I remember years ago either Wolf or one of the show runners saying that Mariska Hargitay’s audition for SVU happened at least partially because of her 13 episode role as Dr. Mark Greene’s girlfriend Cynthia Hooper on ER.

There are a bunch of SVUs in succession on USA right now,, and for some reason I started thinking about Hargitay pre SVU and something occurred to med that I’m surprised had never occurred to me before……….

…….Mariska Hargitay knew John Cullum before ‘Hargitay was in the ‘Wolf universe’, as Cullum played Mark Greene’s father on ER. i remember one episode where Mark had to go to San Diego to see his parents, and she just showed up there in San Diego.

I just looked up when Cullum’s first ‘Wolf universe appearance was’, and that was in 1997 (original Law & Order) , which was before Hargitay’s SVU audition.

I’d forgotten that Cullum was on Northern Exposure.

I didn’t know before today that Hargitay had played another detective…..not too long before SVU. She played Detective Nina Echeverria on a show called Prince Street.

Cullum is still alive….and still acting….and he’s 92!

Good for him .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV