Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 05:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

Is this connected to Big Sky? It is the same author CJ Box right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 06:03 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

So Spectrum TV is another pay channel? Or another network?

It's a cable TV service and streaming channel.(Formerly Time Warner-it was bought out)
I use it right now.

Old 05-21-2022, 11:36 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is this connected to Big Sky? It is the same author CJ Box right?
Same author, two different series.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:26 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
It's a cable TV service and streaming channel.(Formerly Time Warner-it was bought out)
I use it right now.
It's also on Paramount+ now.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Same author, two different series.
But I believe one of the books The Highway has crossover.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But I believe one of the books The Highway has crossover.
It's been a few years since I read it, but I don't think so.

Box's Joe Pickett series and Cassie Dewell series all take place in the Mountain West, but I don't remember any of the characters cross-pollinating across series.

The Cassie Dwell books are very different than BIG SKY. Very, very, very different. All in all, I much prefer the books. I found the TV show way too Hollywood.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:27 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
I have all the Joe Pickett books, and I have enjoyed watching Box grow and improve as an author over the years. The first books were rather amateurish, but I stuck with them because I liked the characters and the plot setting. Now Box has become a pro and knows what he's doing! And Joe has grown, too--he's a more complex character.

But somehow I couldn't warm up to the Cassie Dwell series. It is quite different from the Pickett series--darker and much more brutal, so I gave up after vol.3. I know this is the TV forum! The TV relevance is that I gave Big Sky a chance, but couldn't get into it, but I've been looking forward to seeing Joe Pickett and his family come to life for years, and I'm willing to put up with a number of elements that I find irritating just to see Joe out there in the mountains, catching bad guys.

One thing I have a bit of a hard time with: Book Joe is a charming man--but TV Joe really isn't, so far. I was hoping for a twinkle in his eye, but instead we get sad flashbacks...

Old 05-23-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I have all the Joe Pickett books, and I have enjoyed watching Box grow and improve as an author over the years. The first books were rather amateurish, but I stuck with them because I liked the characters and the plot setting. Now Box has become a pro and knows what he's doing! And Joe has grown, too--he's a more complex character.
Agreed. I'm a big fan of the series. Only one of the books has been a bit of a disappoint to me, and even it wasn't bad, all things considered. It just jumped the shark a tad in the last 20 pages.

Quote:
But somehow I couldn't warm up to the Cassie Dwell series. It is quite different from the Pickett series--darker and much more brutal, so I gave up after vol.3.
I had a very hard time getting through the first book (THE HIGHWAY) for all the reasons you mentioned, and simply because the main character (Hoyt) was such an unapologetic a-hole. It was hard to root for him. But the subsequent books that concentrated more on Cassie, I enjoyed a lot more.

Quote:
I know this is the TV forum! The TV relevance is that I gave Big Sky a chance, but couldn't get into it
Me, too. It was so bad. Which hurt, because I really do like the books and very much enjoy Katheryn Winnick. But the writing was just so ridiculous. My wife and I watched the first episode, and we were constantly either rolling our eyes or wiping away tears of laughter at how bad it was. At one point, my wife actually said, "Oh, the two hotties are not going to get in a bar fight over their man, are they? This show can't possibly be that cliche!" And within 15 seconds, the two hotties were in a bar fight over their man.

One of the great appeals of C.J. Box's books is that his heroes are so relatable. Joe Pickett is not a super hero. Cassie Dewell is not a Mary Sue. But BIG SKY went full-bore Hollywood with their approach to the characters. I just could not get into it.

Quote:
I've been looking forward to seeing Joe Pickett and his family come to life for years, and I'm willing to put up with a number of elements that I find irritating just to see Joe out there in the mountains, catching bad guys.

One thing I have a bit of a hard time with: Book Joe is a charming man--but TV Joe really isn't, so far. I was hoping for a twinkle in his eye, but instead we get sad flashbacks...
I still haven't watched the TV show. Don't have PARAMOUNT+ yet. But this is the one show that has me seriously tempted to subscribe, at least for a month.

I have been "fan casting" this show in my head for a decade, and to be honest, none of the actors are how I pictured these characters, but that's okay. I can get past that as long as the performances are good.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
So started watching this series and have a question—
Spoiler

Is it my imagination or is MaryBeth obviously pregnant? I didn’t notice at the first scenes at the house but when they were in town and she was talking to the old guys—it certainly looked like she had a definite bun in the oven. Even though the character just found out she was pregnant

Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So started watching this series and have a question—
Spoiler

Is it my imagination or is MaryBeth obviously pregnant? I didn’t notice at the first scenes at the house but when they were in town and she was talking to the old guys—it certainly looked like she had a definite bun in the oven. Even though the character just found out she was pregnant
Yes. I got the impression that first episode spanned a few months in time. They didn't do a great job of emphasizing that, but the events didn't seem to take place over several days but over a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV