Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 07:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
random question about detective procedural's...

they always call each other by their last name. Bosch. Magnum. Riggs. Murtagh. Mannix. Cannon. Columbo.

do you all do that in real life?

Just another reason to take hollywood writers, tie them to chairs and hit them with sticks for a while?
Bosch is not always called by his surname—
Honey Chandler calls him Harry quite a bit and so do Crate and Barrell so I think it depends on whom he is involved with

Can’t say I watched the others that closely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
….There's just no spark to this series and far too much time is spent on the Maddie character.

…I'm also not buying into the story of the Whitney Vance character looking for an heir. This heir would be a complete stranger to him at this stage of his life.
1) I agree that the Maddie character is not that appealing—she vacillates between being so smart and yet so naive—and what happened to the boyfriend she had last year?
I don’t like this actress so I don’t feel much empathy for her—especially being daughter of an LA cop and a murdered mom who was an FBI agent—she seems to have no clue that life is hard and life on the streets is even harder…

2) The series is not just about Harry with his police compadres and Maddie—
Honey Chandler had her part enlarged and Maddie also had her part enlarged beyond the novels
I guess the power that be think that will appeal to a younger crowd but this has nothing to attract the type of people who watch CW or Real Housewives

3) the Whitney Vance story did not begin with the search for an heir—
Vance wanted to know what happened to the love of his life—his greatest mistake—and yes she was pregnant but I got the idea it was more her than any child he was interested in—
He just wanted to know if she might be alive so he could ask forgiveness—and maybe give her money
After all his secretary (who has loved him for 40 yrs wo any interest on his part) is getting 10M

It was Harry’s intrepid investigation that managed to discover the woman did have a child and the child lived and was adopted out—and eventually went to Vietnam and died in conflict…
I don’t think Harry was able to tell Vance that his son might have left an heir—because by then Vance’s houseman and others were screening Bosch’s calls—
Their mistake…
The fact that Vance left a holographic will making Harry his executor lets everyone know he KNEW he was being played by those around him but he couldn’t really do anything or they would have killed him sooner… I don’t know if Ida is in on the murder—this is from one of the books I read long time ago so lot of details are forgotten…

4) the scene in Harry’s car when he has talked to Maddie after the shooting I found very effecting
Welliver’s reaction after he turned his phone off was so real, so human—that it revealed a side of Bosch few people ever get to see—and yet it showed why he pursues all cases with the same determination—
It is mostly his laconic, straight face, sarcastic view of life he shows to the world at large and even those he lets inside his comfort zone…

Old 05-18-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I agree, it's double dipping on Amazon's part, especially given that they just increased the cost of Prime earlier this year. These shows should be commercial-free for Prime subscribers and leave the commercials for everyone else that doesn't have Prime.
It’s free for Prime w/commercials—way IMDB was before Amazon bought it I think
But I agree that it is a negative
Too much ad time to give up though—considering how much content came via FreeVee

Old 05-18-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
In the books, Haller takes Bosch to meet their dear ole dad on his death bed.

That will be the best way to close out the Bosch franchise. If that is not at least in the series finale, or before, I will rage.
What book was that? I thought I had read them all and I don’t remember Haller doing that

Old 05-18-2022, 08:34 PM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:

they always call each other by their last name. Bosch. Magnum. Riggs. Murtagh. Mannix. Cannon. Columbo.

Don't forget that Michael Connelly was a crime reporter in Florida and for the L.A. Times for several years and is the executive producer for Bosch and Legacy, so one would assume there would be accuracy.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Just another reason to take hollywood writers, tie them to chairs and hit them with sticks for a while?
I think it probably is like read life
Cops wouldn’t use first names around victims or those they charge to better preserve anonymit; even if they wear a badge it has only last name
Calling someone by first name in those jobs likely deemed unprofessional

Old 05-19-2022, 12:51 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Well, in that case I'd say Ballard's appearance depends on whether the 2nd season is based on Two Kinds of Truth (2017), or Dark, Sacred Night! (2018)
I take that back, since the original Bosch series already used part of the plot from those two books! From the Bosch Wikipedia page:

Quote:
During the events of Two Kinds of Truth, he meets an oxycodone addict named Elizabeth Clayton. He takes her into his home to help rehabilitate her, promising to investigate the unsolved murder of her daughter Daisy.
Remember? I'm not going to try to predict anything at all about Legacy S2!

Old 05-19-2022, 11:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What book was that? I thought I had read them all and I don’t remember Haller doing that
According to wiki, Bosch meets his father later in life. I am not sure if Haller does the intro, but I assume it must be. Haller knows his real father. Bosch knows Haller is his half brother but does not know the father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Bosch

Old 05-20-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
According to wiki, Bosch meets his father later in life. I am not sure if Haller does the intro, but I assume it must be. Haller knows his real father. Bosch knows Haller is his half brother but does not know the father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Bosch
From Michael Connelly’s site:

J. Michael “Mickey” Haller, Sr is Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller’s father. He was a premiere criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles. He died when Harry was 20 and Mickey was 5.

If Harry met his father it had to been in flashback since no book is set in his youth—
Harry joined Marines at 17 and went to Vietnam, serving two tours—so his father would have died likely when Harry was on active duty…

Old 05-20-2022, 11:13 AM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If you read them as long ago as I did, it's hard to remember. I think it was The Brass Verdict.

Q & A from that book:

"Michael Connelly: This book grew out of a single scene I wrote in a book a long, long time ago. The book was The Black Ice, which was published in 1993. In it Harry Bosch reminisces about the time he went to the funeral of the father he never knew. He was a young man just out of the army and back from Vietnam. He stands up on a hill and watches his father’s funeral from afar. He also sees that his father, the celebrated L.A. criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller, had children, and that means Harry has half siblings. Well, one of those half siblings is Mickey Haller Jr., who grew up to be the Lincoln lawyer."

https://www.michaelconnelly.com/writ...s-verdict-q-a/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV