Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 08:44 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
BBC produces some good stuff. I still watch the number 9 and 10 reruns, and the 11s I like, as well as Primeval with was a very underappreciated series in my mind.

"The IT Crowd" is some of the funniest TV you'll ever see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 08:44 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Strictly speaking to the revival.. I gave up on Whitaker.. I mean, that was sad. So.. Taking that and the entire Chibnall error out of the equation, because we're just going to pretend it didn't exist..

I am.. Odd in my ranking of the Doctors.

Now, none of these were BAD, let's be clear.. Just who I enjoyed the most.

1) Tennant. Listen, anyone who didn't like the Tennant/Tate year.. That may have been the high water mark of the series, old or now.

I think you can see from my rankings here what I like and what I don't.. That being.. A love story with the Doctor and companion. Don't like it.. Yes, Tennant had touches of that with Rose.. Maybe a bit with Martha Jones.. But.. Catherine Tate. The antagonistic relationship.. That was something special.
The Tennant/Tate season is my favorite, hands down. I'll rewatch those any day of the week.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:53 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

My wife and daughter have watched up through the current finale. Their reaction: Remember when DOCTOR WHO used to be good?
So true. I've an absolute fan of the early Doctors, esp Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. Sure it was campy, after all it was a children's program. But there was an underlying level of thinking to it. And it was supported by some great side characters --the Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Romana, Leela, and K-9. I also though David Tennet did an excellent job. But the storylines and writing diminished and I prefer to remember Tom Baker than what's her name.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:01 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
The making of the theme song. This is so cool.

The Delian Mode - Delia Derbyshire Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnmSgaeGAI

The Delian Mode (Kara Blake, 2009) is a a short experimental documentary revolving around the life and work of electronic music pioneer Delia Derbyshire, best known for her groundbreaking sound treatment of the Doctor Who theme music. A collage of sound and image created in the spirit of Derbyshire’s unique approach to audio creation and manipulation, this film illuminates such soundscapes onscreen while paying tribute to a woman whose work has influenced electronic musicians for decades.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:30 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Just something I always wondered. I’ve heard the TV show referenced quite a few times in popular American culture, and I’m sure the average American has heard of it. But do they know what it is about? For those who do and have seen a lot of it, I’d be curious to hear your opinions on it.
Loved the Classic.......never really could get into the modern. Of the modern, could do Chris and David, but really dropped off after them. Of course, there were 2 major flaws between the old and the new. First, the old was more oriented to children and the new to adults; as such, the latter could easily become too serious and not as much fun. As to the difference, what's the difference between Nicole Bryant "Peri" and Billie Piper "Rose"?

The second is the latter was the Sci Fi channel and as Sci Fi "cheapened itself" (for a nutshell description), practically anything associated with it paid the price.

Me, I have much of the classic in DVD to watch but hardly much of the modern. It is just not worth it to go after it.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:59 AM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
Quote:
As to the difference, what's the difference between Nicole Bryant "Peri" and Billie Piper "Rose"?
I can't answer your question, but I can point out two major similarities.

Now that you mention her, Peri (the first American companion) was actually created to appeal to the growing American audience in the mid-1980s. So the BBC was aware even then that they ought to seek non-British audiences to grow the series. British Nicola Bryant's "American accent" as Peri came and went in scenes, but that was actually a plus in my mind because I loved the "Britishness" of the show and trying to pander to Americans too much would ruin that Britishness.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:10 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I can't answer your question, but I can point out two major similarities.

Now that you mention her, Peri (the first American companion) was actually created to appeal to the growing American audience in the mid-1980s. So the BBC was aware even then that they ought to seek non-British audiences to grow the series. British Nicola Bryant's "American accent" as Peri came and went in scenes, but that was actually a plus in my mind because I loved the "Britishness" of the show and trying to pander to Americans too much would ruin that Britishness.

Actually, I think the answer would be easy.......on Billie Piper, a lot bigger and noticeable BOOBS! Peri was noticeable with the opening episode of the bikini and the tie top in "The Two Doctors".......but she was nothing to the impression that Billie Piper made from scene one.

Such was rather clear.....that it was no longer a kid's show.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Doctor Who is classic! One of the best shows of all time! I am a big fan.
I didn't start watching until the Christopher Eccleston era though.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:47 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
Those are the two "similarities" to which I was referring...

Old 05-25-2023, 05:18 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
"The IT Crowd" is some of the funniest TV you'll ever see.
That show took me a few episodes to get into it. The first episode is a bit rough. But yeah, once the show found its feet, it was extremely good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV