Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 05:16 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Roku is the bomb! They work better and have a better UI than any built in Smart TV aps, and being external to the TV tend to pick up your WIFI better. You can also buy ROKU TVs and they're just as good. I'm a huge fan of the Hisense ROKU TV's Walmart sells...cheap and really great picture quality. They've been far more reliable than Sony or Vizio TV's I've had.

ROKU is also simple enough that my 75 year old mother can use it once I set it up for her. That's worth something right there.
I had a TCL ROKU TV that the screen kept blacking out after a few years of usage. I was given a Google TV as a replacement and promptly got a Roku device to plug into it. So now I have the advantages of both Google and Roku on my smart TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 05:44 AM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
I started out with a fire stick, made the switch to Roku about a year ago. Shutting down my last dish account this week. Streaming on all my tvs and iPad/iPhones now. Saving a bundle, we had 3 dish accounts for decades. I love apple, but don’t use any of their tv streaming services. Roku is cheap, buying them at any Walmart, easy to use and support all the streaming apps I want to use.
Why did you switch from fire stick to Roku?
I’m trying to make the decision between the two.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I had a TCL ROKU TV that the screen kept blacking out after a few years of usage. I was given a Google TV as a replacement and promptly got a Roku device to plug into it. So now I have the advantages of both Google and Roku on my smart TV.
In general, the external Roku will be superior to the built-in, which is a mass-produced low-end version that contains less memory and less processing power. Given a similar release time of course, a 2020 Roku TV will have a better Roku unit than an 2016 external Roku. You can't upgrade the built-in hardware. You may have firmware updates but can't add memory or processing power.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:39 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
We are looking at coming out of the Dark Ages, dropping satellite and start streaming. We have a great internet connection, but total confused between Apple TV and the Amazon Firestick.
Is Apple worth 4 times as much as Amazon? I know Apple reliability is worth a lot, but that much difference? I hate to spend $143.00 X 3 instead of $33.00 X 3.
What is the real story?
It comes down to preference and needs.

Apple TV is a larger device and has additional hardware support like ethernet port and the ability to seamlessly connect to other Apple devices (e.g. earpods if you want to watch TV next to a sleeping partner). It also support more apps.

Is this worth the extra $100+? To each their own. In essence, Apple TV give you more capability than a firestick. But how much value it provides will depend on if you actually use those capabilities.

I feel the Amazon Fire TV cube is a better apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison to Apple TV.

I have a Cube in the living room as I also use it to connect to my entertainment system for music. But I also got it as a gift. It's not something I would have looked for myself.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:40 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
One can buy a roku device that can be plugged into a computer just like a smart tv.
I have Roku on my laptop without the Roku device. It runs fine.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:23 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times
I use a Roku stick on my 13 yr old Phillips, I love it. It's so easy and I may subscribe to let's say HBO ( now MAX) for a month or free trial for a Series I want to watch, then cancel it. I keep Netflix and prime. Yes there are plenty free channels too.
I can unplug the Roku stick and put it on the TV in my spare room is someone wants to watch something.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:31 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In general, the external Roku will be superior to the built-in, which is a mass-produced low-end version that contains less memory and less processing power. Given a similar release time of course, a 2020 Roku TV will have a better Roku unit than an 2016 external Roku. You can't upgrade the built-in hardware. You may have firmware updates but can't add memory or processing power.
I think my old Roku TV (which screen was blacking out a year ago) was purchased in January 2016. So obviously a plug-in Roku stick purchased last year would be the superior of the two.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
I think my old Roku TV (which screen was blacking out a year ago) was purchased in January 2016. So obviously a plug-in Roku stick purchased last year would be the superior of the two.
I had a 2016 Roku TV and it worked but it took apps about 15 seconds to load and login. After adding an external Roku Ultra in 2021, apps usually loaded in less than 5 seconds.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:39 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
Roku used to partner with TCL and Hisense. The TCL tvs were poor quality IMO - the Hisense a little better. However, Roku decided to produce their own brand TV which they just started selling. I’m waiting to see how they fare before buying one and hoping my Hisense holds up awhile longer.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:54 AM

971 posts, read 531,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
We are looking at coming out of the Dark Ages, dropping satellite and start streaming. We have a great internet connection, but total confused between Apple TV and the Amazon Firestick.
Is Apple worth 4 times as much as Amazon? I know Apple reliability is worth a lot, but that much difference? I hate to spend $143.00 X 3 instead of $33.00 X 3.
What is the real story?
I have used Amazon Firestick and Roku. I like Roku better. Firestick is more expensive and I think it requires you have Amazon Prime, which doesn't save you anything, you want shows to watch you still end up paying for them.

I bought a roku for 49.00 and I have had to replace the remote several times because of the dog chewing it up, but they sell for 20 to 40 dollars at walmart depending on whether you want voice control or not.

I subscribe to Hulu, Netflix and Britbox which costs under 40.00 a month for all of them (Netflix is 17.99 beause I pay for up to 3 devices). Roku has a lot of free channels and free movies and television shows on it's app so you don't even have to subscribe to anything else if you don't want to.

I don't know anything about Apple TV.

You will save a lot of money if you get rid of satelite and start streaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV