Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 08:28 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times

Advertisements

They came out with a sequel to That 70s Show, That 90s Show. I dont see That 70s Show going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 08:57 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't understand the impulse for banning or cancelling art over the bad behavior of an artist. You gotta separate the art from the artist.

If we demand 100% moral purity from any art we enjoy, we aren't going to enjoy much art. Beethoven could apparently be a bit of a jackass. Most rock stars are monsters. James Brown beat women. Sam Cooke...? Alfred Hitchcock was what my grandmother would have called a Dirty Old Man. John Landis seems like a bit of an a-hole. John Milius may be certifiably crazy. James Cameron has reputation for being a jerk onset. Kubrick was downright abusive to Shelley Duvall.

To be fair, there's a different between being a jackass or a jerk, and being a criminal.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:50 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't understand the impulse for banning or cancelling art over the bad behavior of an artist. You gotta separate the art from the artist.

If we demand 100% moral purity from any art we enjoy, we aren't going to enjoy much art. Beethoven could apparently be a bit of a jackass. Most rock stars are monsters. James Brown beat women. Sam Cooke...? Alfred Hitchcock was what my grandmother would have called a Dirty Old Man. John Landis seems like a bit of an a-hole. John Milius may be certifiably crazy. James Cameron has reputation for being a jerk onset. Kubrick was downright abusive to Shelley Duvall.

Am I going to toss out all my album and DVD collection? Just because the artist(s) involved had questionable moral character?

Really???

I'm sorry, but I can't go the rest of my life watching nothing but Mr. Rogers re-runs and listening to Dave Grohl.
I think it becomes problematic when the actors real life begins to distract you while you're watching a film. After reading somewhat recently what Errol Flynn's autopsy revealed (let's just say it had to do with warts), I can't get that out of my mind when I watch one of his old films. But I still watch his old films. Similar with Kevin Spacey...I can't get out of my mind what a disgusting fool he was, but, on occasion I will still watch one of his films.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:40 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
To be fair, there's a different between being a jackass or a jerk, and being a criminal.

And then there's the OJ type situation. While it's indisputable that he's a criminal now.. Before the Vegas charges.. We knew he was..

John Landis kinda falls in that area as well. He was acquitted of the Twilight Zone charges.. But.. Let's be honest.. He's guilty of causing those deaths.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:43 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In Common Sense Land, yes. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people live there every year.

Old 06-02-2023, 04:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Tricky question indeed. He did the deeds after that Show, I bet.
And true he was just a secondary character. Hmm. Good question.
I didn't know he was into Scientology.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:58 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, and think about this.. Most of the time, we only hear about it if it's a star of the show.. Think of the number of producers/directors/etc that get nailed Who's that Nickelodeon producer/director that supposedly has a foot fetish or something?

Cosby.. I thought it did get pulled from syndication as well.. If it was only Nick at Nite.. I'd say that was more due to his name being on the show. That 70's Show isn't The Danny Masterson Show.. So, i'd think there'd be a little more leeway against removing it.
It was also the Black themed TV One that pulled both Cosby and A Different World. I would bet the oldies networks which had rights to the 60s I Spy and The Bill Cosby Show suspended those as well. The 60s The Bill Cosby Show being suspended from the Black themed Aspire for sure. But they generally weren't on daily syndication for years with no break to move in other old shows for a run on rotation like the more recent two from the late 80s and early 90s were on TV One.

Old 06-03-2023, 03:26 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think it becomes problematic when the actors real life begins to distract you while you're watching a film. After reading somewhat recently what Errol Flynn's autopsy revealed (let's just say it had to do with warts), I can't get that out of my mind when I watch one of his old films. But I still watch his old films. Similar with Kevin Spacey...I can't get out of my mind what a disgusting fool he was, but, on occasion I will still watch one of his films.
Mostly I am the same. One exception was Bob Crane. I couldn't watch Hogans Heroes for several years after watching Auto Focus, and I don't even know how true that was.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
If 7th Heaven (and the dad on that was beyond gross) is still available for viewing then I think That 70s show isn't going anywhere.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:24 AM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Bill Cosby was the star of his shows and deeply involved in their development. Masterson was a secondary player.
Quite a bit of this.

Also, Cosby had built up the image of "America's Dad" for years, crowning that title with "The Cosby Show". People had looked up to him as a huge role model. Masterson wasn't nearly so well known, and didn't have any particular public image like Cosby's. (To be honest, I had to look him up, because the name was familiar, but I couldn't remember from where.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV