Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 09:07 AM

64 posts, read 41,899 times

Advertisements

I am wondering because people said "Cosby Show" got dropped in all forms of syndication when Bill Cosby went to jail in 2016.

I dont see why fans of That 70s Show who likes to watch the reruns have to pay because of the type of person Danny Masterson is.

I know its on Laff TV and Peacock both carry the reruns. It will certainly have a different vibe though watching now that people know what type of person Danny (Hyde) is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 09:14 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
THE COSBY SHOW is still on TV.

If networks are going to erase a show every time someone who worked on it turns out to be a creep, there won't be anything left on TV but Mr. Rogers.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

If networks are going to erase a show every time someone who worked on it turns out to be a creep, there won't be anything left on TV but Mr. Rogers.
Yes, YouTube, Amazon, TV1, Roku and Hulu all still show it regularly. TV Land pulled it, but I think the crimes of one actor don't mean that an otherwise good show should be banned. I never like the Cosby show and have never seen "That 70s" myself. Still, if people like those shows I hope they can find it.

If the truth came about about every actor on every show I think we would all be astounded.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:08 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:

Cosby and A Different World spent years in limbo before returning to syndication. Of course Cosby bore his name as did the production company for A Different World. Something the other 70s cast potentially losing years of residuals should be free from

Old 06-01-2023, 03:12 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:

Well, and think about this.. Most of the time, we only hear about it if it's a star of the show.. Think of the number of producers/directors/etc that get nailed Who's that Nickelodeon producer/director that supposedly has a foot fetish or something?

Cosby.. I thought it did get pulled from syndication as well.. If it was only Nick at Nite.. I'd say that was more due to his name being on the show. That 70's Show isn't The Danny Masterson Show.. So, i'd think there'd be a little more leeway against removing it.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:33 AM

I don't understand the impulse for banning or cancelling art over the bad behavior of an artist. You gotta separate the art from the artist.

If we demand 100% moral purity from any art we enjoy, we aren't going to enjoy much art. Beethoven could apparently be a bit of a jackass. Most rock stars are monsters. James Brown beat women. Sam Cooke...? Alfred Hitchcock was what my grandmother would have called a Dirty Old Man. John Landis seems like a bit of an a-hole. John Milius may be certifiably crazy. James Cameron has reputation for being a jerk onset. Kubrick was downright abusive to Shelley Duvall.

Am I going to toss out all my album and DVD collection? Just because the artist(s) involved had questionable moral character?

Really???

I'm sorry, but I can't go the rest of my life watching nothing but Mr. Rogers re-runs and listening to Dave Grohl.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:53 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
I don't understand the impulse for banning or cancelling art over the bad behavior of an artist. You gotta separate the art from the artist.

If we demand 100% moral purity from any art we enjoy, we aren't going to enjoy much art. Beethoven could apparently be a bit of a jackass. Most rock stars are monsters. James Brown beat women. Sam Cooke...? Alfred Hitchcock was what my grandmother would have called a Dirty Old Man. John Landis seems like a bit of an a-hole. John Milius may be certifiably crazy. James Cameron has reputation for being a jerk onset. Kubrick was downright abusive to Shelley Duvall.

Am I going to toss out all my album and DVD collection? Just because the artist(s) involved had questionable moral character?

Really???

I'm sorry, but I can't go the rest of my life watching nothing but Mr. Rogers re-runs and listening to Dave Grohl.
I think it stems from the perception that their status will shield them from society's conventional forms of punishment. The Oscar winning director can skip bail and live free in France for the oldest example I can think of at the moment.

And then secondly if you are seen by others enjoying the cancelled persons art the rest of the society will apply social pressure on you. So most recent example the minor celebrity pitching what is now the cheapest beer on the market with the reaction so severe that they are nearly paying folks who fear being seen carrying it out of the store, just so they can keep the brewery line open and hopefully the brand name.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:12 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Bill Cosby was the star of his shows and deeply involved in their development. Masterson was a secondary player.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The Oscar winning director can skip bail and live free in France for the oldest example I can think of at the moment.
Polanski is a creep and a coward, and I think he should be prosecuted.

But he's also a brilliant director, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about watching one of his movies now and then. Refusing to watch one of his movies does nothing to bring him to justice. It just fuels your own self-righteousness, and that's never a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And then secondly if you are seen by others enjoying the cancelled persons art the rest of the society will apply social pressure on you.

People spend too much time worrying about what others think of them. Does anyone really care what a few dozen looney birds on Twitter think of anything? The media has convinced us that the loons represent public opinion. They don't.

It is one of the most destructive things the Internet has done: Convinced the lunatic fringe that they actually matter. Just ignore them.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:26 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
I don't know...I think if Bill Cosby was still a money-making machine, he wouldn't have gotten in trouble.

There were rumors about Bill Cosby drugging and raping that lady going back to when I was in my 20's or 30's. People 'unofficially' knew about him for a very long time. But he was a money maker, so he was safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV