Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:12 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,899,454 times

Advertisements

I was watching a clip on YouTube last night from one of the Late Night Shows and it wasn't funny in the least. They have turned into political platforms. If I want politics, I'll watch the news. These are just lame shows with idiotic gags, that aren't original or with any semblance of humor. In the days of Carson, Paar, Cavett, Griffin, Letterman, Leno, you tuned in to watch the celebs promoting their latest gig. Now the monologues are lame and the ratings have tanked. You have literally 1000+ options and these are less appealing by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 10:30 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I was watching a clip on YouTube last night from one of the Late Night Shows and it wasn't funny in the least. They have turned into political platforms. If I want politics, I'll watch the news. These are just lame shows with idiotic gags, that aren't original or with any semblance of humor. In the days of Carson, Paar, Cavett, Griffin, Letterman, Leno, you tuned in to watch the celebs promoting their latest gig. Now the monologues are lame and the ratings have tanked. You have literally 1000+ options and these are less appealing by the day.
I think your conclusions are all wrong.

First of all, it doesn't matter what time of day it is. When I was growing up there were 3 choices -- NBC, ABC, and CBS. I now have several hundred choices.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:46 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,746,856 times
I used to like to watch Fallon now and then, until the time he had Trump on (remember Trump let him muss his hair?)

Soon thereafter, Fallon posted on twitter how sorry has was for allowing Trump on the show and apologized for "humanizing" Trump.

I said to hell with that coward Fallon and have never watched him again.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:15 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
At it's peak, the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson averaged 9 million viewers a night. During his final year in 1992, he averaged 6.5 million. Leno averaged 3.8 million during his run. Fallon gets 1.3 million. More competition carved up the late night pie - Letterman drew fewer than Leno and Colbert draws about the same as Fallon.

Late Night shows simply aren't a needed platform for promoting a project in today's world. One curated social media post will generate better viewership than a 20 minute interview on a late night show.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:19 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
I watched Carson all the time and loved to tune in and see Joan Rivers or George Carlin guest hosting. I also enjoyed SNL in the early days. Sadly many of the guests on Carson that would bring comedy are long passed away, Rivers, Carlin, Rickles, Delouise ,Brenner etc and current comedians don't hold a candle to those legends.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:54 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
One word... 'Gutfeld' He beat the late night slot so bad FOX bumped his time slot up to help boost the ratings in the Prime Time zone.

I truly can't stomach any of the other Late Night shows on NBC/CBS/ABC, they're awful. Almost as bad as SNL.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:36 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
I have not watched late night TV regularly since the late 90s. Really, what soured me on late night tv was when Carson retired. He was by far the best and it has not been the same since. I watched Letterman on CBS and then Tom Snyder for a few years afterwards, but I soon became bored with the whole thing.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:59 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
What Happened to Late Night TV?
Ever since TDS, I stopped watching it and started watching MeTV and TCM and Fox news.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:41 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I have not watched late night TV regularly since the late 90s. Really, what soured me on late night tv was when Carson retired. He was by far the best and it has not been the same since. I watched Letterman on CBS and then Tom Snyder for a few years afterwards, but I soon became bored with the whole thing.
I might have written this post. Carson was the king, of course; but after he retired, Letterman on CBS became my go-to.

Neither was terribly political in their monologues, and what there was, was more funny to everybody of all political leanings, than anything else. Of course, such comments were buried in a pile of other jokes and humorous commentary about current events that had nothing to do with politics. ("So the Canadians got six Americans out of Iran. I understand the six Americans went through intensive lessons on how to say 'eh' correctly. And I see where there was an anti-nuclear march in Central Park. Wonder how many protesters had glow-in-the-dark watch dials thanks to radium?")

And of course, there were the skits and sketches--the Mighty Carson Art Players, and Letterman's visits with Rupert Gee of "Hello Deli." And so on.

Celebrities plugging their latest movies, books, albums (musical artists might do a song from their recent album before talking with Johnny/Dave), standup comedians, and so on. Carson was especially good at locating people who had, or could do, weird things--the woman who collected potato chips, each of which bore a resemblance to a famous person, for example.

That was late-night TV, back in the day. Light entertainment for everybody, with which they can close their day. Nothing requiring heavy thought or the taking of a side. Just a fun way to end your day.

I miss those days. I don't like today's (tonight's?) late night shows. If I'm up late at night, it's either TCM or a DVD.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:01 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I might have written this post. Carson was the king, of course; but after he retired, Letterman on CBS became my go-to.

Neither was terribly political in their monologues, and what there was, was more funny to everybody of all political leanings, than anything else. Of course, such comments were buried in a pile of other jokes and humorous commentary about current events that had nothing to do with politics. ("So the Canadians got six Americans out of Iran. I understand the six Americans went through intensive lessons on how to say 'eh' correctly. And I see where there was an anti-nuclear march in Central Park. Wonder how many protesters had glow-in-the-dark watch dials thanks to radium?")

And of course, there were the skits and sketches--the Mighty Carson Art Players, and Letterman's visits with Rupert Gee of "Hello Deli." And so on.

Celebrities plugging their latest movies, books, albums (musical artists might do a song from their recent album before talking with Johnny/Dave), standup comedians, and so on. Carson was especially good at locating people who had, or could do, weird things--the woman who collected potato chips, each of which bore a resemblance to a famous person, for example.

That was late-night TV, back in the day. Light entertainment for everybody, with which they can close their day. Nothing requiring heavy thought or the taking of a side. Just a fun way to end your day.

I miss those days. I don't like today's (tonight's?) late night shows. If I'm up late at night, it's either TCM or a DVD.
As I noted, competition for eyeballs moved. Late night shows adapted to the what the eyeballs wanted to see. As my Dad used to say "Things change, figure out how to change too."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV