Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times

Advertisements

I thought that since Netflix has it's own thread we ought to give Hulu one too.

I just binged the first two seasons of "You're The Worst" and absolutely loved it. I didn't think I would, but the show is the darling of Entertainment Weekly magazine writers, so I thought I'd give it a try. Shows about 30ish singles finding love are ubiquitous and nauseating, but this show is different. The portrayal of an individual's depression and the reaction by other people to what they don't understand is the most accurate I've ever seen. And here's the best line ever. Describing a character's working class family visiting from England . . . "I thought all English people were fancy, but these are like, Alabama English people!" I LMAO. The third season starts soon, and I can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:28 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
VIKINGS.

I tried it after it first aired and didn't like it very much. But I went back and tried it again. The series took a few episodes to get going, but once it did, I really started enjoying it.

In some ways, I think it is even better than GAME OF THRONES. As much as I love GoT, it's pretty obvious that it is a post-modern Fantasy. The characters in that show have modern attitudes and worldviews, whereas VIKINGS at least strives to put the character's psyches into their time period. Not always successfully, but they do get an A for effort.

We also binged on DCI BANKS, which much to my surprised I enjoyed. I usually hate "procedurals" of any kind. It's like reading an instruction manual. But the setting and the characters on DCI BANKS pulled me in. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the show is built on the STAR TREK model of characterization, and how can you go wrong with that?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,982,376 times
Good idea, I thought about starting one myself a few days ago but never got around to it. Only reason I signed up for Hulu was to watch Grimm during the winter because my antenna wasn't picking up the signal well enough and I wanted to watch it without problems. Thought I'd have it for just the free trial but kept it for two reasons: Survivor and The Amazing Race, two shows I hadn't watched much of originally when they first aired. I've gotten hooked on both. By the way, they recently added more seasons of both of those reality shows. Just wish CBS and Hulu could come to an agreement to add seasons 2-11 of Survivor. Odd that they have season 1 and then it jumps to 12. Boooo....

Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM

It's too late to edit my post. Wanted to mention season 28 of Survivor, one of the seasons recently added to Hulu, was one of the best they've had.

Other shows I've watched or am still watching that are at least halfway decent that I've seen recently:

Banished - Series about criminals sent to Sydney, Australia from England in the late 1700's. Have only watched the first two episodes out of seven of the first season. So far it's been decent.

Marco Polo - I've watched the first part of the two part movie. It's ok, but I've had a very hard time accepting Brian Dennehy as the Khan. Probably why I haven't started part two.

Zero Hour - An ABC tv show. Have watched the first episode and it was fairly entertaining but had its weaknesses. Not sure if I'll watch more of it.

Family Guy - Need a little silly humor once in awhile. What can I say...

Larry King Now - Quite a few short (30 minutes) interviews available. I've watched a couple, including Don Rickles.

Legend of the Seeker - Really liked the show when it first aired. Have the dvd's but haven't watched them for awhile. Saw this was on Hulu and decided to watch some of it. If you've never watched it this might be one to check out. I found it very entertaining at the time. Didn't like the actor they chose to play the lead at first, but after awhile changed my opinion. The actress who played the Confessor and the actor who played the Wizard were both good casting decisions. And oh, don't get my started on Deena - they definitely picked the right actress to play that part. Sad there were only two seasons, but from what I could gather ratings weren't good enough and the production company went belly-up. That's what I've read anyway.

Winning of WWII: The Road to Victory - Hosted by John Eisenhower, Ike's son. A 16-part documentary. Watched the first episode and will watch the rest as long as it doesn't disappear. I noticed one of my other WWII documentaries is about to expire.

I watched The Path (a Hulu original), which was decent. Looking forward to season two.

Why I watched Triumph's Summer Election Special 2016, I don't know. Guess I thought it would be funnier than it turned out to be. It had it's moments, but the rest not so much.

Other shows I watch are just tv shows that are more convenient for me to watch on Hulu than fast forwarding through commercials on my recordings. It's great to watch a tv show and have no breaks for commercials.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Difficult People is funny too - kind of Seinfeld in 2016.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
ikey don.t do Hulu

Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 AM

11 posts, read 12,049 times
Since they added seasons 1-4 of Homeland, I've been watching a few eps a day. For me it's too intense to watch for really long periods of time. Need to take break by watching something lighter.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Black Moon released in 1975. Weird, very weird movie, but I couldn't not finish it.

And I'll mention Banished again since I finished the first season a couple days ago. I searched on Google and noticed the BBC cancelled it due to budget cuts, so there wont be a second season. To give you an idea of how good I found it to be, the near hour episodes sometimes seemed like a half hour. Not all of them, but they were all excellent. The BBC will be getting an earful soon.

Experimented with some other shows on Hulu. Watched the first episode of The Good Wife and also of McCleod's Daughters, both were good enough to watch more of. First episode of Outsiders is ok to some degree, may or may not watch more of it. McCleod's Daughters is one I think women especially might like, but even I as a guy enjoyed it.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:39 AM

Jinxed myself. After mentioning I would watch the rest of Winning of WW II if it didn't disappear, it disappeared. Will look for it elsewhere.

Still hooked on The Amazing Race, only have about 4 seasons left, including the one I just started. Then I'll have tv time for some of the movies and other series I've wanted to check out.

Fairly recently I have watched the following:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 - It was ok, nothing special.

The Good Wife: Had read great comments about this tv series, once I finally got around to watching it I agree it's well done, although I've only watched two episodes.

Stargate Atlantis: Never got into this type of television series, but somehow find this watchable. Probably has something to do with Rachel Luttrell, the actress who plays Tayla.

Deadliest Catch: They have a few of the seasons on Hulu. Interesting show to watch.

WKRP in Cincinnati: Hadn't watched this since I was a kid when it first aired. Reminded me of how things have changed in that we live in such a PC culture compared to that time period.

Pioneer Quest: Watched the first episode, looks good so far. Two Canadian couples sent to live like the pioneers did. Bit of a rough start they had. Didn't help when not long after they got there, think the next day, the older couple had to leave because the husband was charged with sexual assault right before they left. The producers had to pull them out and replace them with another couple. Only thing I don't like is that both couples are living on the same piece of land instead of living close enough to be able to help each other but not so close they have constant friction which might happen here. The new couple brought in I don't think are a good match for the first couple. Might be hard to watch.

And I have a bunch of stuff on my watchlist I can never get to. Added more yesterday to it, including Copperhead, Mr. Majestyk, and Great Battles of the Civil War (two parts). Used to think there wasn't much on Hulu that would interest me, now I don't have time to watch it all. I try to limit myself so I'm not sitting in front of the tv wasting too much time, but even if I didn't I wouldn't have time for it all.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:37 AM

I loved Pioneer Quest - I think it was on PBS a few years ago. Have fun watching it!

I'm still waiting for Season 3 of You're The Worst to move to Hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV