Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Article starts here:

'Heroes': Five ways to fix it | Heroes | Cover Story | TV | Entertainment Weekly | 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:56 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Too much time travel.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:11 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Too much time travel.
Yup. Totally agreed.

But it really isn't even the time-travel per se. It's that time travel works when they need it to, but when Hiro could EASILY solve a problem by time-traveling, he seems to ignore that he can do it. Makes no sense.

Despite the fact that Mohinder's current storyline is a total rip-off of The Fly, I still haven't figured out why he went from well-intentioned idealist to bad guy. Very unmotivated.

I do, however, love the turtle.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
Good article.

It really is a shame. Even though I just recently started watching the show, I quickly became fascinated with season 1. I thought it was great and the series showed so much potential. And then came season 2, and Hiro in Japan was a killer. It still ended well though, with the whole virus thing. Someone mentioned in the other thread that they should've stuck with that and I agree. This season is sinking fast.

I agree with the article, they should pull a Lost, set an end date, so they can develop a strong storyline from that ending. Otherwise, I really dont see this lasting too much longer.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I think it is ending after a fourth series.

Pretty pathetic how they brought Adam back to kill him. I thought he had potential as a bad guy.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
I didn't read the article yet, but off the top of my head, I can think of a few solutions:

1) kill off or neutralize any and ALL characters who can time travel, see into the future via dreams, or paint the future. seriously we have Hiro, Peter (both Futurelli and Presentelli), Mama Petrelli, Matt's African friend (don't know his name), and Sylar. far too many for one show! when I heard Mama Petrelli had a power, I was excited, but was so disappointed to learn it was just the power to dream the future (even though that dream sequence in Level 5 was cool).

2) stop jumping to the future if everything we see will no longer be relevant once the future is changed! do I care who is little Noah's mother is? not really b/c by the end of this season, that future will probably no longer be relevant. it would be great if some of the things we see in the future really did happen.

3) actually have the balls to kill off some characters. I don't know what the actors who played Isaac and DL did, but they are the only dead main characters to have stayed dead! yeah, technically, Niki is dead, but Ali Larter will apparently be around for a while now that Tracy and Barbara have been introduced. I HATE Claire's magical blood and hope they just forget it ever existed (not likely. everytime someone gets gravely injured, I wonder if they're going to make Claire, or Peter, bleed to save them). there are far too many characters miraculously coming back to life, which makes any potential future cliffhangers less powerful.

4) on a similar note, can they stop w/ the whole trying to kill Nathan off every season finale? I hope this show doesn't go down some weird "South Park" route where every season, Nathan almost dies but is rescued ("oh my God, you killed Nathan!! you bastard!"). and I hate the whole plot line of Nathan being super religious now. I zoned out during that stupid speech in the church in the first episode. less preaching, less sleeping w/ Niki look-a-likes, and more flying!

5) what's with the villains? these Level 5 escapees are PATHETIC! and I want the bad-ass Sylar back! this season would greatly benefit from a "big bad", a main villain for this season, like how Sylar was the big bad in S1 and Adam and Maury were the big bads in D2. seems like w/ the introduction of Pinehearst and Papa Petrelli, that's what they will be doing, so I'll wait and see how that turns out

6) the stakes are too high now. in S1, it was save NYC from a bomb. in S2, it was save the world from the Shanti virus. now it appears the world will literally be destroyed. what's going to happen next season, the universe will blow up and the heroes will have to go to outer space to save it? they are writing themselves into a tight corner, unless they play out this season's prophecy a bit longer. otherwise, it will be hard to "top" the world breaking apart

7) bring back the Shanti virus. I said it in the last thread, and I'll say it again: dropping that plot line was a bad idea (and the way it was handled sucked. I know, the writer's strike screwed up the season, but they could have tried to recover it! they've completely dropped the ball w/ Caitlin in the future and haven't even mentioned her!). I haven't seen the S2 DVDs yet, so haven't seen the alternate season ending, but from what I've heard about it, and what other people have told me, it sounded like the show would have very interesting if the virus had been released. if they can't/won't bring back the virus, they should at least still blow up Costa Verde!

8) kill off Maya. for the love of sweet Jesus, KILL OFF MAYA!! and might as well kill off Mohinder too, he annoys me now. in fact, there are just too many characters in this show. it works for shows like LOST since each episode is character centric, but it's a huge mess on Heroes. along w/ Maya and Mo', they should kill off: Ali Larter and all her incarnations; Nathan (I liked Nathan in the past, but his plot line bites now); Matt's African friend (or at least get Matt out of there!); the entire Bennet family except for Claire and HRG (yup, that includes Meredith and Mr. Muggles!), Elle, and Knox. I know the producers will never kill off the darlings of this show, Peter, Claire, and Hiro, so I didn't bother adding them to this list, even though all 3 annoy me now

9) make Micah go bad. come on, the situation is so ripe for the taking! you have this kid whose mom and dad were both killed because they tried to be heroes, maybe Micah will just say "screw it" to being a hero since it tends to end in pain and death and just lead a life of crime. kind of like Batman in reverse. this kid would make a cool villain!

that's all I could think off for now. I'm about 2-3 episodes behind, so maybe I'll fin more things to complain about later!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM

37 posts, read 122,566 times
I actually hated the show before I started watching it. Then I watched S1 and S2 in april '08 and about july '08 I was sick of the show again (because S2 dissapointed me - unfinished and uninteresting) but Season 3 really put me back to business. My #1 is LOST for sure but #2 is Heroes. I mean, all this villain thing and all is so cool but yea, maybe there's too much time traveling (although I'm not complaining about that very much). Now I can't wait to see the next episode.
But I seriously hope that Jesse Alexander and the other writer's (can't remember the name) departure and the plan to simplify the show won't ruin the current flow. Otherwise, it might fall together

Old 11-15-2008, 02:09 PM

37 posts, read 122,566 times
hey eevee, nice post. Really support you on the "Bring Back Exodus Volume" Project.
If you wanna see the alternative version of S2 finalé, go to youtube.com and search for Heroes Season 2 alternative . I kind of like it so I don't understand why do everybody say it wouldv'e sucked even more than it sucks now. I would've loved to see how the virus is released and also, I would've loved to see Season 2 as a 24 episode season with 3 volumes: Generations, Exodus, Villains as originally planned. Now the show will play out differently.

+ when the strike ended they could've bring the show back for like...6 episodes at least (Lost was able to bring in 6 as well). They could've push the Villains volume to Season 3 like it is but the Exodus should've been made and since 24 episodes were planned and Generations covered 11 episodes of the season that would've left like, 13 episodes to share between Villains and Exodus, so 6 episodes would've been fair.

The only way for us to set things right is if some fan is able to get Hiro's and Matt's powers, go back in time and then force the NBC executives' to change their minds to bring back the Exodus for 6 episodes in S2.

I also support you on the Kill off Maya thing. She's annoying and now when they took her powers as well she's usless and pointless. Eventhough S3 is my favorite there ARE some bad sides.

aw and the following might be a SPOILER for you so do not read if you do not wanna know (it's about a character who might get killed off in S3 finalé because of this person's powers): it's Hate Is Racist Objection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV