Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

OMG!!! what has happened to Cable TV? I can't believe so many cable channels have jumped on the reality TV show bandwagon. Right now the History Channel is doing a program about GANGS in Alaska and next will be some reality show about Ice Road Truckers.

Tomorrow there is another new reality show called Expedition Africa.

Can't believe this, First TV land, then GSN, then AMC, now the History Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
Maybe we keep to ourselves so much in our dwellings and our cars, that the only time we know about how others live is through reality programming?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,169,965 times
dude......chill. Those shows have been on a very long time. If you don't want to watch, turn the channel or turn the tv off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
OMG!!! what has happened to Cable TV? I can't believe so many cable channels have jumped on the reality TV show bandwagon. Right now the History Channel is doing a program about GANGS in Alaska and next will be some reality show about Ice Road Truckers.

Tomorrow there is another new reality show called Expedition Africa.

Can't believe this, First TV land, then GSN, then AMC, now the History Channel

Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
dude......chill. Those shows have been on a very long time. If you don't want to watch, turn the channel or turn the tv off.

So how long has the History Channel been doing this? Since 2003/2004?

Cable TV is dying

Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
So how long has the History Channel been doing this? Since 2003/2004?

Cable TV is dying
Ice Road Truckers has been on for what, 3 years? I think this will be the 4th season. I watched it the first couple of seasons but I can't find the time now but I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed "Texas Gold". I can't bring myself to watch "Whale Wars" becasue I would be sick. Just seeing the commercials with (J A P?) ships hauling a dead whale in just makes me sick to my stomach. LOL that's why I can't watch the Animal Planet anymore. I burst out crying too much in my old age. I'd say there are "good" reality and "bad" reality shows and "Ice Road Truckers" falls into the "good" category. Like Dream said, you have a choice as do we all and I just don't watch them. (the "bad" IMO ones.)

Old 05-30-2009, 12:13 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,292,722 times
Whats wrong with Gangland? I watch it to see how these scumbags operate. It' not like they are paid for the show or it's as moronic as anything on VH-1

Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Whats wrong with Gangland? I watch it to see how these scumbags operate. It' not like they are paid for the show or it's as moronic as anything on VH-1
I don't see anything wrong with a "reality" show that people can learn something from. "Survivor", "Big Brother" and "The Amazing Race" IMO are pure entertainment and the other stuff like "Jon and Kate Plus 8", the Duggars, etc. are lowclass ways for people to be "peeping Toms". IMO of course.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a "reality" show that people can learn something from. "Survivor", "Big Brother" and "The Amazing Race" IMO are pure entertainment and the other stuff like "Jon and Kate Plus 8", the Duggars, etc. are lowclass ways for people to be "peeping Toms". IMO of course.

The channel didn't start out that way so why copy what other cab;e channels are doing?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
The channel didn't start out that way so why copy what other cab;e channels are doing?
No channels started out that way. They play "reality" shows obviously because it gets good ratings. Like someone else said, don't like it, don't watch it. There's still so much genuine history related programming that I can't keep up with the amount of things I record. I don't even notice the other crap I'm not interested in. Judging by how long it's taken you to notice Ice Road Truckers, I'm guessing the same is true for you so why freak out?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,955,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Ice Road Truckers has been on for what, 3 years? I think this will be the 4th season. I watched it the first couple of seasons but I can't find the time now but I enjoyed it.
I watch it occasionally too. Those guys have a lot of guts to do that, although it's obvious they make a lot of money doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV