Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't think you sound any more judgmental than anyone else posting on this forum. The whole point of a forum is to express differing opinions and discuss them. On this one, we are expressing opinions of people, so if that is judgmental, then I guess we all are.
I agree.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
First of all where did I judge them. I said that I think they are doing this show based on the fact they are witness to their faith. They haven't stopped renting out houses or whatever they do. Jon and Kate market the family every chance they get. The other families are not on every talk show selling a book or taking a trip every show. I have no idea how the other poster said I was judging them. The Duggars do have a nice home which they started building them self. THe Rohloffs have a nice home and I saw pictures that they showed of that house when they moved in. I do not think that the other families are like Jon and Kate that was the question and from what I have seen that is what I think.
Actually, the Duggars released a book in December 2008. Amy is selling CDs and promoting her music career on a website I found. (Amy Duggar Music)
And when the new house was built, according to sources I read (can post here if you want), the house was mostly(?) paid for and their appliance were donated to them. ( News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/121805dntexbigfamily.2bb5559.html - broken link)) They also had a vacation paid for.

In addition, the Duggars have made TV appearances.

I don't see how they are terribly different.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
There not there they are all the same.. now we can move forward. The problem is all those things you just said about Rohloffs and Duggar I never knew I guess I could search the Internet to see. Wasn't that Kate on People, Us and other Mag selling her book. Wasn't she on Larry King and a few other morning shows. Aren't they on every show that deals with happens. Because why they won't take them self off TV for the sake of family. Funny I don't see the other families on every show , Magazine ect. I really at this point think they should all come off and TLC can go back to being the learning channel not the Soap channel

Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
How about a crossover show where the Duggars help to counsel Jon and Kate to try and save their marriage?
or spouse-swapping...JimBob & Kate (plus 8) vs. Jon & The Duggars!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:34 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
JimBob kind of reminds me of Bill Henrickson in 'Big Love'.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
^^ Sure Kate has been self promoting. I am not denying that. I just think that both families are doing some self promotion. I hope the Duggars don't turn this into the "business" that J&K have.

I just don't see the Duggars as such a more innocent family and they are also interested in some form of self promotion or they would not have gone on the Today Show, or Larry King, or accepted a family trip paid for them by Discovery? (not sure who paid for it), or accepted freebies from local companies, or done the tv specials, or decided to write a book that just happens to coincide with the launch of their show on TLC.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
How about a super-twist where Jon gets Michelle preggo!!! LOL

Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
JimBob kind of reminds me of Bill Henrickson in 'Big Love'.
Hey you are right!!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
I haven't watched any of the Duggars because I could not be less interested in a huge family whose mother looks like she's a member of the Fundamentalist Mormon sect that got raided a few years ago. Her unnaturally soft voice is very weird and totally creeps me out. I saw a preview about their oldest son getting married VERY young and had never even kissed his future wife. I don't really have an opinion of being a virgin before you're married, I suppose it works for some. But not kissing? That is weird and you can paint that with as broad a brush as you like but the reason those kids got married so young is that they wanted to do the "humpty." Same goes for all the weird religions out there who encourage children to get married and procreate as much as you can before you die.

As far as J&K go, while I detest the show and the people they have become because of it now, they didn't start out that way. Kate was definitely a force to be reckoned with from day 1 but Jon seemed like such a flake, she had to be the one in charge. Season after season, they showed them working together, taking care of the kids, doing small stuff like going to the local theme park, attending their town's 4th of July parade, playing in their long driveway, spending time with their extended family. These last two years have been nothing more than self-promotion and watching Kate turn into a shrew and Jon starting a mid-life crisis before it's time.

Both families are reaping a benefit from TLC being in their house. J&K seem to have bought into the hype that they are now "celebrities". The Duggars haven't been on as long, but are probably either doing it for money or to promote their religious beliefs.

Either way, both are manipulating the viewers and subtley (the Duggars) or not-so-subtley (J&K) promoting whatever company wants the free publicity. Neither family should be looked upon as some sort of role models for parents and family life.

Both are going to have kids who are well beyond screwed up and will likely do the talk-show circuit about how horrible it was to grow up in the spotlight. J&K's kids will at least KNOW they are screwed up. The Duggars will have girls in their 20s who are on their 5th or 6th kid who won't know how sad and screwed up their lives are, just like all of those polygamist wives who think it's God's will that they marry an old lecher at age 13.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I hope the Duggars don't turn this into the "business" that J&K have.
I am sure they have done it more quietly than J&K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Either way, both are manipulating the viewers and subtley (the Duggars) or not-so-subtley (J&K) promoting whatever company wants the free publicity. Neither family should be looked upon as some sort of role models for parents and family life.
You are correct they both are and the viewers are the ones tuning in each week to keep them able to manipulate. The viewers aren't seeing that they are the only ones in these scenarios that are not gaining anything from watching.

Why can't we just go back to the days where a news outlet would go do a special feature of a large family like they did with the Dilly sextuplets? Show all the volunteers at the house helping, updates on 1st, 5th, 10th, 16th birthday and let it go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV