U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,963,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Why can't we just go back to the days where a news outlet would go do a special feature of a large family like they did with the Dilly sextuplets? Show all the volunteers at the house helping, updates on 1st, 5th, 10th, 16th birthday and let it go?
Because the Dilly's didn't buy into the hype that having babies should not make you famous. You're right...I would love for J&K to just do a once-a-year episode. The Duggars just need to go.

TLC - The Learning Channel. Are we learning anything other than why we're glad we didn't have sextuplets and my husband doesn't want me to look like a polygamist wife?

They need to get back to shows like Trading Spaces, Flip that House, What Not to Wear. Also, what happened to Little People Big World? At least that family, while making money and building onto their huge house, seemed more realistic and intersesting. The kids were pretty normal teenagers, and best of all, the mom's housekeeping skills were not Martha Stewart...that house was a pigstye!!
Rate this post positively

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 27,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
How about a super-twist where Jon gets Michelle preggo!!! LOL
How about a super-duper twist where Jon and Matt Roloff go on a Broke Back Mountain camping trip!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,847,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post

TLC - The Learning Channel. Are we learning anything other than why we're glad we didn't have sextuplets and my husband doesn't want me to look like a polygamist wife?
LOL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Also, what happened to Little People Big World? At least that family, while making money and building onto their huge house, seemed more realistic and intersesting. The kids were pretty normal teenagers, and best of all, the mom's housekeeping skills were not Martha Stewart...that house was a pigstye!!
Oh lord I couldn't stand that show either. They let their kids destroy everything the parents give to them, with apparently very little or no negative repercussions. I'm also tired of seeing them go on their multi year vacations, and building or buying their multi million dollar homes.

I thought the whole concept of the show was to educate people of what little people go through on an every day basis, and to show the public how much they take for granted. That went out the window after the first or second season. Now more and more people that are "different" are getting their own show, making millions and becoming more than irritating.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 27,324,704 times
Hey...the bigger chickens rule the roost. When the kids are bigger than the parents...they get to rip the place apart. If mom & dad don't like it...they become soccer balls.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Oh lord I couldn't stand that show either. They let their kids destroy everything the parents give to them, with apparently very little or no negative repercussions.
While I didn't watch LPBW regularly, kids destroy stuff. At least it's more realistic than J&K's little kids all dressed up in matching Gymboree outfits and Kate freaking out on Jon when he couldn't find one of the girls' matching shoes to go with all of the others. That's just weird.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 2,994,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
How about a super-duper twist where Jon and Matt Roloff go on a Broke Back Mountain camping trip!
lol

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,593,337 times
Personally, i would rather watch the Duggars than i would J&K. Kates pedestal will fall one day, and although she will more than likely blame Jon. And do you see now that Octo Mom will have her own reality tv show.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM

35,852 posts, read 39,483,461 times
I don't want to regularly see any family on TV. In fact, I think 90% of reality tv needs to go. That goes for strange families like these, celebrities like Tori Spelling and the Kardashians, and survier-type shows. This kind of thing is ruining our country.

Once a year specials on unusual families are fine if you are into that.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:11 PM

24,866 posts, read 34,395,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't want to regularly see any family on TV. In fact, I think 90% of reality tv needs to go. That goes for strange families like these, celebrities like Tori Spelling and the Kardashians, and survier-type shows. This kind of thing is ruining our country.

Once a year specials on unusual families are fine if you are into that.
I agree. Most of it is crap. People getting rich and famous for doing nothing, or for doing things they should be embarrassed about, not flaunting on TV.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree. Most of it is crap. People getting rich and famous for doing nothing, or for doing things they should be embarrassed about, not flaunting on TV.
The result of reality tv is that people are now becoming celebrities for doing nothing. It's one thing to become famous because you can act or sing or play an instrument or write novels. It's another to let them follow you around filming you picking up your kid's vomit or for making a sex tape. Reality tv has blurred the lines and now very few people are scorned for acting like idiots. Swallowing Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches can win you $1 Million. 20 years ago, you would have never been able to find a date.

Also, I saw that TLC is being investigated for possible child labor laws violation and their response is something to the effect of "we comply with all laws." According to Aunt Jody reality tv doesn't have to comply with the same laws. I saw a few episodes where the kids were dragged to one event or another and clearly it was very late in the evening by the time they got to go backstage and meet the sports team or circus performers. The kids are obviously in school full time and I'd like to know if they are getting any time to do their homework in between being VIP guests. I'd also like to know if Kate and Jon are dividing up the windfall profits. No one tuned in to watch the parents...the kids should be profiting from this show. They're going to need lots of money to pay for their therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.