Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one , or are others put off by the antics of the weathermen on the major networks? Is it really considered necessary to be such smart alecks?
Apparently they feel as though they are 'stars' !! And stand-up comedians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Am I the only one , or are others put off by the antics of the weathermen on the major networks? Is it really considered necessary to be such smart alecks?
Apparently they feel as though they are 'stars' !! And stand-up comedians.
They have to move the attention away from the fact that they are wrong most of the time w/their forecasts. I can't remember the last time I watched one of those clowns.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Ahhhh...I found it a pleasure to leave NJ and come upon the (PA) "funny" weatherman Joe.
I had sat and listened to the stiff NJ reports all my life......
I sat down my first day in PA and finally could smile at the weather forcasting....
What was this? Someone acting a bit silly..."Outside", of all places! Out in the weather? Gosh, not at a desk with papers in front of them........
It is relaxing, and enjoyable......Quite interesting seeing a forcast out in a snowstorm or rain.
Very much down to earth....
I am so use to it now, and I love the weather done in this fashion.
At one point he was off the show, and let me tell ya' the people demanded his return.
Not only that, he does a long, and vigorous bike ride for charity each year........bless his heart!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
I like some of the tv weathermen.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 AM

551 posts, read 855,582 times
I have to admit that I like Sam Champion on GMA. He is more of an entertainer than metorologist. His laugh drives me crazy, but other than that he's fun to watch.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Ahhhh...I found it a pleasure to leave NJ and come upon the (PA) "funny" weatherman Joe.
I had sat and listened to the stiff NJ reports all my life......
I sat down my first day in PA and finally could smile at the weather forcasting....
What was this? Someone acting a bit silly..."Outside", of all places! Out in the weather? Gosh, not at a desk with papers in front of them........
It is relaxing, and enjoyable......Quite interesting seeing a forcast out in a snowstorm or rain.
Very much down to earth....
I am so use to it now, and I love the weather done in this fashion.
At one point he was off the show, and let me tell ya' the people demanded his return.
Not only that, he does a long, and vigorous bike ride for charity each year........bless his heart!

There was a weatherman on the Missouri's canal that I loved to hear. He was down to earth, and no foolishness. ( He was/is a bicycle rider.) He retired a few years ago. The newer ones there are okay, and they do not go through the theatrics that the national ones do.
It is the National weathermen that bug me.....

Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I seldom see a news program on ABC, NBC or CBS. so I can't really comment on their weather broadcasters. I like Rob Marciano and Chad Myers on CNN and Bob van Dillen on HLN. Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel does a good job too.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 AM

I should have stressed that I was speaking about the National TV weathermen....ABC, NBC, and CBS..not necessarily local ones...most of them do not think they are stand-up comics, but some have some rather aggravating little sayings that they repeat over and over.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
They have to move the attention away from the fact that they are wrong most of the time w/their forecasts. I can't remember the last time I watched one of those clowns.

They had a guy over here who did a 3 degree guarantee for a bit, now that's gone. Wonder why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Jim Cantore on The Weather Channel does a good job too.

I forget what Hurricane it was but, he was standing on the beach when the first effects started hitting. The man is a weather beast.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
I think DFW area wheather people are rejects from some other part of the earth. Because they never get the forecast even close to right except for when it's HOT. And that Pete Dilekus (spelling...)....OMG with his Storm of the Century reporting. Is how I feel when he pops into my shows or even on the nightly new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV