U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,009,100 times

Advertisements

has anyone been watching this? i saw the marathon of the first 4 episodes yesterday and i am hooked. new episode tonight.

it's a sort of semi-reality show where a "cross section of society" (oddly lacking in food service and office workers tough) are put into a fake post-apocalyptic situation (in a cordoned-off industrial section of l.a.), have to use limited resources to meet their basic needs, and have to contend with other "survivors" who may or may not be friendly. it's sort of hard to tell where the line between pretending and not pretending is though, since obviously they're not really going to die of starvation if they can't figure out how to grow food or whatever, and the "raiders" attacking their compound aren't going to hurt or kill them, but they sure seem to take it seriously!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM

19,107 posts, read 29,268,459 times
my boyfriend is absolutely HOOKED on this show right now. He's hates reality tv, so my interest was piqued when he mentioned it. I'm not as exhuberant about the show as he is, but it's still really really good

Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM

127 posts, read 480,915 times
i caught one epsidoe a while ago...and was very intrigued! I hope to catch a marathon and get caught up!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

9,733 posts, read 9,168,644 times
What's the difference between this and "Jericho"?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 PM

that is fictional and this is (semi) real. obviously the situation is fictional, and most of the people they encounter are actors, but the main people on the show (referred to as "volunteers") are non-actors who really have to figure out what to do to get food, filter water, generate power, maintain security, etc.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 AM

14,545 posts, read 20,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that is fictional and this is (semi) real. obviously the situation is fictional, and most of the people they encounter are actors, but the main people on the show (referred to as "volunteers") are non-actors who really have to figure out what to do to get food, filter water, generate power, maintain security, etc.
It makes a good companion piece to Jericho. When the show was on one of the most active discussions was about survival and being prepared. It made people ask themselves, if someone hungry showed up at your door and you had little, would you help? It did make a lot of those who took the theme to heart really look at what they had on hand in case...

Jericho will forver be important to me as an exilerating three week ride as we sent off our peanuts and the wonderful friends I met along the way, all people who I would want to be there in such a world. Because it is a story that draws those who think it has something to say. I say is not was. Jericho Season 3 comes out in October in a now 8 issue comic written by the shows production people.

In the Colony, the volunteers are so immersed they react as if it was real and have been challenged to answer that and other questions. Its interesting to see how that answer changed as their circumstances did. We saw how they drew on their experiences and interests and used everything they had. I was absolutely inthralled by the last few episodes when things got more and more dire, and it was hard and fast survival time.

I was very intreged to see the bit run on the screen during the last episode that said to look for new episodes of the Colony Tuesdays at ten. I know its a study/experiment sort of thing and not real but dang I really want to see what the place they were off to is like.

I am sure that these people despite it being a tv show will remain close and that family will not lose its ties.

I like this show a whole lot because it does really raise the questions and let us see how real people react. Supposedly this is what Survivor is about but it becomes about how to play a game. This warehouse/sancuary beacme very real for these people and nobody got voted off.

It would be very interesting to see how a group of people who were less technically knowledgable did, and if those who knew would assume a greater status than others. Lots of possibilities for other kinds of "mixes" are there, but I'm not sure I want to see a bunch of ten urbanites who have no clue and how they end up. On the other hand, since we all know more than we thing it might be interesting.

If you could volunteer to be a colonist, would you?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 AM

7,373 posts, read 14,008,839 times
Its pretty good. I wish they would have taken "normal" people though and seen how they would survive. If the worled turned post apocalyptic tomorrow im pretty sure I would not have a group of engineers, scientists, and doctors trying to survive with me. Most likely they would be the idiots i work with.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 AM

27,235 posts, read 44,709,783 times
One of the things I found interesting about the show is how the engineers conveniently knew about making something that is a very old concept (wood gassifier)--but didn't know "how" to make it. Knew the theory, but it took someone that actually worked with tools to create it in a way that it would work effectively.

While in some ways, I think the colonists realize they're not that far from "civilization" because of talking to the cameras, there are indications that people playing a role can end up taking that role very seriously (the Stanford prison experiment).

Old 09-23-2009, 12:35 PM

it is interesting to think about how much it went through their minds that this wasn't real, and how that affected what they did. were they really believing in the situation, or playing the roles that they would like to think they would play in real life - sharing food, staying behind to rebuild the city, searching relentlessly for someone who's lost, whatever.

i mean, there was all the angst over sharing food and water with people, when they must have logically known that the people coming through didn't really need the food, while the colonists really did! although maybe they didn't know if the people who came by were doing their own "experiment" or not.

i want to know how they traveled 120 miles without hitting the normal world! and i'd like to know how the producers kept the colonists from seriously hurting the "marauders"! i'd definitely love to see interviews with everyone now that it's done. i was hoping it would go on a little longer and we could see what they'd set up out in the country, with farming and all that.

and it certainly would have been much more realistic if it had been like a few office workers, some food service people, and maybe 1 or 2 people with useful postapocalyptic skills. but i don't know if it would have been as entertaining - half the fun of the show was seeing all the amazing stuff they managed to make, how they came up with the ideas, and how they figured out how to make it.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:45 PM

24,869 posts, read 23,253,043 times
I watched the first couple of episodes, I didn't bite into that apple.

It was to fake to me, I mean, how can one make a real apocolyptic experiment like this.

How did all of the right people get together? How did they stumble on the abandoned place they were in? There just happened to be everything there that they needed to make electricity (batteries, power invertor, etc).

I didn't like it. I think a series on how to survive a post-apocolyptic world would be better. You know, how to make a windmill out of common household things, how to purify water, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV