Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times

Advertisements

I'll miss Paula. I dont care for Kara at all. I'm willing to give Ellen a chance. She's said that she'll represent the home viewer. Simon and Randy are "pros". It'll be nice to have a "non-pro"s witty point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
here is a novel idea--why not TRY to get actual successful musicians as the judges(one more show i'm adding to my "don't bother watching list"
Can't. Successful musicians have busy successful careers by definition. The formula always was "the has-been" musician. One who is still enthusiastic about music, grateful for being in the spotlight again, won't argue about his/her schedule, and actually could give professional advise.

Since there are many such musicians (Gloria Estefan for example), Ellen does seem a strange choice. The only justification I could think of, the three-judges would be too serious otherwise. The producers needed some "off-the-wallness" that disappeared with Paula's leaving.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Here's some comments from Ellen.: She doesn't believe contestants should talk back to Simon, and she's not worried because she has no professional experience in the music industry because she's a performer and knows how to entertain an audience. "If Simon goes, I go!" DeGeneres stated." I will not be there without Simon." Posh Spice will be a judge, a has been in the music industry I guess , and one of the Jonas Brothers.
Ellen DeGeneres | Latest News, Videos, Trailers, Photos, Biography | MTV Movies

Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
Post News, Best bets: ‘American Idol’ returns, minus Paula.

TV
It's baaaack. "American Idol" has returned, with new judge Ellen DeGeneres replacing Paula Abdul. How will witty DeGeneres, who lacks a professional music background, fit in with the other three judges?

Best bets: ‘American Idol’ returns, minus Paula - Entertainment- msnbc.com

Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I have only watched a couple of seasons but I will be sure to watch now. This should be fun.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I hope Ellen stays her fun quirky self instead of getting too serious as a judge. She will be a fun addition!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Just for a little nostalgia - this may have been posted earlier - but here's David Archuleta on another singing contest - with Arsenio Hall and Naomi Judd on the show, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6fKno0FVkY&feature=related
I forgot that he wasn't really an amateur at this. And IMHO, his voice is better in the video at a younger age. That breathiness I didn't like came from vocal paralysis . Forgot he said that in his audition. Well, like him or not, kudos to him for overcoming that and getting back on the horse!

OK - Now let's see what mischief, miscreants, and magnificence we get in the coming months. Come on Tuesday! (I like this show, what can I say. I like to see people step outside their comfort zones, learn something about themselves, and take a chance on winning.)

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I'm really looking forward to see what Ellen contributes.
I guess people don't realize that these judges...I won't include Ellen for now....know what sells and doesn't sell.
They are all three extremely successful in their own right. Just because before Idol they weren't household names doesn't mean they are unqualified.
Nobody knew who Simon was before this.
I don't always agree with him but taking into consideration his track record...his opinion is usually well informed.
I won't miss Paula...sorry. I never repected her opinion.

We'll see....bring on the auditions!!!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,142 times
Default Just in for AI fans

Simon is leaving!

Will you continue to watch, or just tune out?

He's leaving to judge the "X Factor" here in the US.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
AI is doomed. Of all the items in that show that can not be replaced, it is Simon. The show has gone down hill but without him it's OVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV