Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times

Advertisements

Do you think tampons/pads/birth control/condom commercials should be less obnoxious? Do you wish that they would advertise less?

I was watching the tube one night when a tampon commercial came on...
It was talking about the usual tampon stuff.. absorbency, size, etc.. and then something like this was said:

"Comes with xxxxx (can't remember what it was) to reduce feminine odor"

At which point I nearly choked on my beverage.

I think that at a certain age everyone finds out about these things anyway, and will find out what is best for them on their own..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,441 times
Birth Control ads don't really bother me, but I think they should stop advertising pads/tampons on TV. EVERY woman uses them, the feminine hygiene companies will ALWAYS be in business, so WHY advertise?? I thought the only time companies had to advertise is if their product needs to be made known. Every woman knows what pads/tampons are, so there's no need to advertise them, IMO.

They should also do away with "natural male enhancement" ads as well.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
At which point I nearly choked on my beverage.
This reminds me of when I decided that I didn't need to know that Nuva Ring needs to be taken out every three weeks. Way too much information!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
But we MUST keep the 1950s style commercials with happy Bob who has a BIG smile. Those ones crack me up!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post

oh, those commercials are absolutely unbearable. On the one hand, I really wonder if they're on to something, but on the other, I realize that if they really worked that well, EVERY man would have tried them.

The only condom commercial that I ever saw that I thought wasn't obnoxious after the first three or four times was the one with the inflatable bunnies.. all the others after that were horrible.

Birth control commercials aren't as bad as the other products' commercials, but they are really annoying.

There are just some things that shouldn't be advertised..ever.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times
To answer the OP's question: YES.

But, this is America unfortunately, land of capitalism & obnoxious commercials.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,495,441 times
However, I'd rather watch pad/tampon commercials than those annoying, trying-desperately-to-be-funny-but-they're-not Progressive commercials with the ditzy chick in them.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
I don't get why you'd choke on the term 'feminine odor' now, when it is a term mentioned in all kinds of commercials for a long time--tampons, douche, and so on. I recall commercials when I was a kid in the mid-80s that referred to the topic. It's hardly a new thing.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
... my 6 yo son goes around singing the nuva ring song - sunday monday tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday sunday every daaaaaay.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't get why you'd choke on the term 'feminine odor' now, when it is a term mentioned in all kinds of commercials for a long time--tampons, douche, and so on. I recall commercials when I was a kid in the mid-80s that referred to the topic. It's hardly a new thing.
No, it was the context in which it was used and the way it was brought up that I thought was nasty..

It seemed like one of those stupid perky tampon commercials where it shows a girl riding a bike, or a horse, or playing tennis, or going jogging or whatever, you know.. but then they just stuck the random thing about feminine odor and "feeling fresh" and that was apparently enough. it was disgusting, but I think they only ran that commercial like once or twice before they pulled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV