Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,118,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
What happened to the hour special proceeding the show? Guess I heard it wrong. PAR!

I enjoyed it, but it felt a little rushed. Miss the spokesman they have used in the past. Feels kinds odd without the 'Your Show Has Been Canceled' dramatic statement. Of course, I guess the new winners only get a show every now and then.

I agree Nina pulled a fast one.....but considering her work experience, I imagine she learned the hard way this is the way to survive the business. Even Vern said everyone had to remember this was a competition. I guess the designing world just isn't a gentle place.

I actually liked Emily. I think she'll do better next time. What I didn't understand is why they made a big deal of Julie's 'feather' rug when people in the past used dog food and such to make something that looked like a rug. I thought that was part of the challenge??? I didn't like her walls at all though.

The judging went well. I thought they did a good job of pointing out strengths and weaknesses without sounding snarky.
Please dont think I am being a troll, but this show has nothing to do with real world interior design.
Ive been in the business 20 years, and I have NEVER seen real professionals behave like they do on that show, just had to put my 2 cents in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,394,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Please dont think I am being a troll, but this show has nothing to do with real world interior design.
Ive been in the business 20 years, and I have NEVER seen real professionals behave like they do on that show, just had to put my 2 cents in.
s

Thanks for the post!! I guess the competition just brings out the worse in lots of people. I wonder if Vern was actually referring to designers who are on television. That could be a real cut throat arena.

I'm glad to hear in the real world.....designers are just nice normal people!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:02 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,118,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
s

Thanks for the post!! I guess the competition just brings out the worse in lots of people. I wonder if Vern was actually referring to designers who are on television. That could be a real cut throat arena.

I'm glad to hear in the real world.....designers are just nice normal people!
Here in the real world we have to work together quite often......it just makes me crazy when they go all diva on tv and people think we all act like that, ya know?
Or when they show a total makeover that takes 24 hours and costs $1000.
I sure would NOT wanna compete on that show, who makes a rug outta dog food, lol?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,331,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Here in the real world we have to work together quite often......it just makes me crazy when they go all diva on tv and people think we all act like that, ya know?
Or when they show a total makeover that takes 24 hours and costs $1000.
I sure would NOT wanna compete on that show, who makes a rug outta dog food, lol?
It makes sense that if you will end up working with your fellow professionals, you don't throw them under the truck. I hope that her action does eventually trip her up. That is the problem with competitions, so often the winners are more out to look better than their competition rather than trying to show the BEST they can do. What it does show is people who either have no time management skills, who can't work with others because they don't try to, and who put out only the minimum. Those are the people who wash out in real life.

I hated the feathers... I don't think that is what they had in mind. Ditto dog food "rugs" unless its set up for what it looks like.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,842,008 times
I hated Nina's umbrellas hanging on the walls too. Totally cheese ball. Why that ranked number one is beyond me.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,394,766 times
Here's a great Blog Recap with pics:
HGTV Design Star » Archive » Dooce’s Recap: Nina Drops a Piano on Courtland’s Head

It was Tera's and Michael's rooms that I liked the best. I didn't even like Nina's room.

I miss Clive.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:37 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,842,008 times
while I like the show something is just off this season. Not seeing enough of the design details. Nina is a biotch bully and needs to be put in her place. Don't like her -at all!!!!
Also I've always liked Vern since way back but he seems so hateful or something this time. Anyone else get a vibe from him?
Pity they opted to change the show--for the worse.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,711,363 times
i miss clive too! and his air horn!

nina is definitely getting set up to be this season's villain.

so far emily is not living up to my expectations, and i don't even remember what tom or michael have done!

the show seems kind of blah so far. no one has really built anything, it's all been "top decorator".

Old 06-21-2010, 05:37 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,373,953 times
I always wonder if the people on these HIGHLY EDITED "reality" programs who are portrayed as the villain get extra pay or something. There has been one of these every year on Design Star and they last much longer than you would like, but they always get kicked off eventually. I just don't believe they aren't at least partially "created" to make drama. It's one of many reasons I'm not tuned in this year. How do some of these people ever get employment anywhere after they leave these programs?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,827,809 times
Oh, I don't think any of them was great, but that Nina has to go!

What do you guys think about Genevieve, Candice and Vern?

I think Candice is, by far, the best of them. She always has great taste and does what her clients ask her to in terms of design, not a cookie-cutter decor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV