Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,470,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
while I like the show something is just off this season. Not seeing enough of the design details. Nina is a biotch bully and needs to be put in her place. Don't like her -at all!!!!
Also I've always liked Vern since way back but he seems so hateful or something this time. Anyone else get a vibe from him?
Pity they opted to change the show--for the worse.
I SO agree with you. Something is way off this year. Maybe they are showing less interaction at the house where the designers are staying, maybe it's just Clive being gone along with the paint cans. I don't know. It's just off.

How a group of talented designers can all be grouped together and come up with this blah apartment transformation is just beyond me. I expected so much more from both sides. I really thought Nina might be on to something with painting a mural on that wall - but a couple of butterflies?! Wouldn't they have been better with a bold choice of wallpaper?

As to the question about the designer hosts, I love Candice. I would let that woman touch ANY room in my house. She is just masterful. Vern is the same - very Kenneth Brown - peaceful and zen sort of designs. Genevive? I seriously never saw any talent she may have. Beautiful looking girl, but I would not let her NEAR a room in my house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,400,498 times
I realize now that I have been spoiled ever since David B was on. He was always so nice and so happy, not to mention totally talented. I hold everyone up to that standard now.

Many reality shows establish a villian very quickly. Survivor does. This season on Design Star it is Nina. She sure makes working as a team very difficult. I was sick of her in the first episode. We all probably know someone like her and we don't like them because they are bullies with tremendous egos who tend to stab folks in the back. I'll be glad when she is gone but I bet it will be quite a while before she leaves.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,394,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I realize now that I have been spoiled ever since David B was on. He was always so nice and so happy, not to mention totally talented. I hold everyone up to that standard now.

Many reality shows establish a villian very quickly. Survivor does. This season on Design Star it is Nina. She sure makes working as a team very difficult. I was sick of her in the first episode. We all probably know someone like her and we don't like them because they are bullies with tremendous egos who tend to stab folks in the back. I'll be glad when she is gone but I bet it will be quite a while before she leaves.
I watched his new Color Splash-Miami after Design Star. Too bad I fell asleep BEFORE the reveal! Guess I'll catch it again later this week.

I guess it is hard to try to have a reality show that requires people to actually respect the designer who wins and have a designer who is good enough to carry their own show. Up until now, other than David, people have won due to personality, but in the end, their actual design quality was limited and couldn't stand up to the test of time.

Vern said last night that they were going to pick someone for 'design merits'....not personalty conflicts. Still though, the show needs to be fun and this year it feels a little 'dry'. (It doesn't JIVE without CLIVE....)

As for me, I really thought both apartments were really bad considering it came from a group of designers. I personally think it would be better to give them some extra time to come out of the challenge with a good end result than doing the 'decorate this in 5 minutes' concept. What is the possible reasoning for that? All you end up seeing is a bunch of frazzled people putting out crap. It isn't fair to them....or the viewers.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM

750 posts, read 1,437,653 times
I agree with Ketabcha about Nina. She's loud, obnoxious and manipulative, and not very honest, so she'll be kept around for a long time, because she amps up the drama. Unfortunately. Not a fair game, thanks to TV producers.

As for Vern, PippySkiddles, I think the vibe we're getting is utter, utter disappointment. Having watched him in several different design shows, the man has talent, and I think his expectations are high. He knows these contestants' backgrounds, and what they should be capable of, but he's just not seeing it. Maybe it's too early, and the team-based challenges have so far thrown the design star candidates off their game. Maybe when it gets down to some individual challenges and we can see some actual individual design work, Vern (and the audience) will develop some enthusiasm.

I was thinking about this last night (I know... pitiful...) but in the real world, who hires a TEAM to design a room or a house for them? Don't you hire one singular designer and work with him/her to develop a design? The execution of the design might be done by a larger team, but the mapping out of what you want is done with one designer. Isn't it? Am I wrong? I look at the HGTV design shows. There aren't many design teams, other than an occasional husband/wife or the British guys on BBCA.

Oh... and I miss Clive, too!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,331,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I agree with Ketabcha about Nina. She's loud, obnoxious and manipulative, and not very honest, so she'll be kept around for a long time, because she amps up the drama. Unfortunately. Not a fair game, thanks to TV producers.

As for Vern, PippySkiddles, I think the vibe we're getting is utter, utter disappointment. Having watched him in several different design shows, the man has talent, and I think his expectations are high. He knows these contestants' backgrounds, and what they should be capable of, but he's just not seeing it. Maybe it's too early, and the team-based challenges have so far thrown the design star candidates off their game. Maybe when it gets down to some individual challenges and we can see some actual individual design work, Vern (and the audience) will develop some enthusiasm.

I was thinking about this last night (I know... pitiful...) but in the real world, who hires a TEAM to design a room or a house for them? Don't you hire one singular designer and work with him/her to develop a design? The execution of the design might be done by a larger team, but the mapping out of what you want is done with one designer. Isn't it? Am I wrong? I look at the HGTV design shows. There aren't many design teams, other than an occasional husband/wife or the British guys on BBCA.

Oh... and I miss Clive, too!
I think part of the problem is ALL the team competitions. Yes, you have to learn to work with others, but we aren't seeing anyone's actual style. I would have love to see each of them do a room based on the garmet they chose, just to see what they could do. Taking a team of designers and have them do a room is kind of like the joke about the committee that designed the advark.

I also miss Clive. I could do fine without the interaction in the house, but he was the voice that could tell them point blank that they messed up, and now there seems to be nobody.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:30 PM

50,503 posts, read 64,425,260 times
I USED to love the show, but this year it's so boring. They are not showing enough of the designer's process. The judges are not discussing their thinking process enough either. Last night, did Candice Olson say ANYTHING? (By the way, isn't she looking like a haggard bag of bones lately?)
It's just bicker bicker among the designers, about a million commercials (which I fast forward through, otherwise the show would be unwatchable), then a quick glimse of each designer's project, and the winner and someone gets booted.
The judges are lacking in personality. Vern is a snooze, Jen is less bubbly and so is Candace.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,131,929 times
Vern is, in my opinion, the best designer in the business. I have seen Gen do some very good work but also some pretty silly stuff. Don't know about the other woman. I just think that these little "tests" have little merit in showing a person's designing talent.....too little time and too little chances for designer input. But, as a game show it is entertaining.....to a point.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,948,289 times
Another week of Nina!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:28 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,842,008 times
I must be a big dummy but I don't "get" the challenge last night.
I'm very open to someone who understood it explaining to me how those designs were supposed to influence the design of the room.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,520,603 times
I didn't get it either and then the designers put a chair in the corner or paint on the wall and it's considered decorated. Huh? Bor-ring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV