Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
There are gay people everywhere.

Tyler is still not a progressive city.

Gun Barrel City, Texas has been accepting of gays and lesbians for a long time. There is a gay bar in GBC out there in backasswards East Texas.
Still does not make GBC progressive in any way, shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Progressive can mean many things...

Tyler is an economically & socially progressive city. Politically no so much. We bleed red here though Bill White did fare well in the last election in East Texas. He campaigned in Tyler several times. I voted for him.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
*sigh*

By the general tone of this thread I'd have to surmise there is little interest in this revelation although it (the thread) was good fer a few chuckles!

I did have to erase a few not so PC retorts to this thread! I am waiting on the Tyler pedophiles to come out of the closet(s) ... now that would be progressive!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Being more gay friendly is not progressive or backwards. Tyler is certainly not Marshall. Tyler is more progressive, in most ways, than other cities our size, to say otherwise is to be not familiar with Tyler.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Being more gay friendly is not progressive or backwards. Tyler is certainly not Marshall. Tyler is more progressive, in most ways, than other cities our size, to say otherwise is to be not really familiar in with Tyler.
Oh heavens no.

Tyler is a small city. Marshall is a stop along the interstate almost an hour east of Tyler.

Not even in the same counties or metros!

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-21-2011 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Being more gay friendly is not progressive or backwards. Tyler is certainly not Marshall. Tyler is more progressive, in most ways, than other cities our size, to say otherwise is to be not familiar with Tyler.
Exactly. Places like Tyler, Waco, Lubbock and others do amazingly well for their sizes and are relatively progressive. I'd like someone to please point when was the last time a gay person was burned at the stake or beaten in either of these cities. Yet; I can pull up articles within the last 6 months showing all types of gay bashing incidents amongst major cities within the country. What does this prove??? That we as America still have a lot of growing up to do.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
To state the obvious, terms like "progressive" are entirely relative. I don't claim to know much about Tyler -- my parents lived there for a few years back in the 1980s and that was my only cause for spending any time there. However, even in ostensbily progressive Austin, where I lived for over 20 years, many of my fellow gay men had really very conservative attitudes about many things; they tended to reflect the general social-political conservatism in Texas. Interestingly, I tended to perceive lesbians of my aquaintance as being relatively less conservative in their attitudes, though that's merely an impression. Maybe the thing to say is that Tyler is perhaps becoming a more open, accepting and diverse community overall. However, I'm not sure how much we should equate that with "progressive". More progressive than Lufkin, likely; or Jasper or Vidor. The most crucial thing is that Tyler is becoming more urbanised.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:47 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I used to DJ at a night club in Tyler on Wednesday nights (gay night) 10 years ago...
Outlaws...lol.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Outlaws...lol.
Yeah when it was one of the only clubs in Tyler...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah when it was one of the only clubs in Tyler...

Yeah, I remember, around that time I went up there on either a wednesday or a thursday night. They told me it was gay night so I let them have that. Tyler has made remarkable strides since back then. BUT, even back then it wasnt uncommon to see homosexuals and transexuals. Still, Tyler isnt a hotbed for gays, and it doesnt have to be in order to make advancements. I went to school with a tranny and there were a few openly gay classmates of mine. To my knowledge, they havent been lynched due to their sexuality yet. Course, Im sure the town goonies are hiding somewhere in Whitehouse or Chandler waiting to hunt em down and string em up.. Not like anybody in Tyler has jobs to go to in the morning or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler