Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim0314 View Post
Thank you, Quaght. I looked up prices for Staybridge online and at those rates, I'll be around $9k for three months so that out for now. I have also emailed them hoping for better rates for extended stay visitors.

I am 23 years old, and family (mom, dad, and gf) is going to be in Houston. I will check out couple of the bars, restaurants, and maybe even a strip club. lol...
I'll be sure to stay out of north Tyler and have been looking for a place on the south side. Thanks again for all the information - it is VERY helpful!
North Tyler ain't nothing if you're used to living in Houston. Trust me.

South Tyler would be kinda far away from your work if you're working near Old Omen & the East Loop, about a 20 minute commute in the morning which is a long commute for Tyler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 20,143 times
20 mins isn't bad since I drive 15 mins to school right now. (live in med center and go to school at UH-Main).
I guess I'll see all of Tyler around April 15th, when I plan on visiting.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 PM

94 posts, read 386,294 times
Thinking @ Tyler for relocation., but don't know much about it first hand.
What about tornadoes?
Also, looks like the schools aren't keeping up with the rest of TX whats up with that?
Is it a family area or more of a retirement town?
Thanks all!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucsonmom View Post
Thinking @ Tyler for relocation., but don't know much about it first hand.
What about tornadoes?
Also, looks like the schools aren't keeping up with the rest of TX whats up with that?
Is it a family area or more of a retirement town?
Thanks all!
Tornadoes aren't much (if at all) an issue in Tyler proper. They tend to target the more rural areas for some odd reason.

Tyler public schools are fine until you get into the two high schools.

We are both a family friendly & retirement type town.

The choices of nightlife for younger people has gotten a whole lot better in recent years. We no longer have to venture to Dallas to get a taste of "big city" nightlife.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-29-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM

347 posts, read 468,011 times
As far as Tornadoes go, Tyler is always at risk of facing them, but not near as much as Canton just 35 miles to the west. Projected paths of severe storms in Smith County often veer to the southern (Bullard, Troup) or northern (Lindale, Winona) parts of the county.

As for the schools, Tyler is currently seeing widespread restoration to many of the schools in the area. As a result I believe academics will improve from what they were.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM

rather than making a new thread, I figured I'll ask more questions in this thread....

What service do y'all use for cable tv and internet? I was up in Tyler this past Friday 22nd. Signed up with an apartment complex in the southeast area, waiting for them to approve me. I already went ahead and signed up for a gym up there, and saw my commute to work. Also dropped by Lake Tyler to find out that I have no phone service out there lol.

Now when I get approved, I need to find an electric company, internet provider, and maybe a cable company. Which ones do y'all recommend?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 PM

64 posts, read 144,368 times
Quote:
rather than making a new thread, I figured I'll ask more questions in this thread....

What service do y'all use for cable tv and internet? I was up in Tyler this past Friday 22nd. Signed up with an apartment complex in the southeast area, waiting for them to approve me. I already went ahead and signed up for a gym up there, and saw my commute to work. Also dropped by Lake Tyler to find out that I have no phone service out there lol.

Now when I get approved, I need to find an electric company, internet provider, and maybe a cable company. Which ones do y'all recommend?

I think its suddenlink for cable/internet...
i m moving down to tyler next month
as for electricity... guys tell me which is cheapest i have found AMBIT
THANKS

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM

347 posts, read 468,011 times
I use suddenlink for cable and HSI, and TXU for elec.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM

namesake, why are you moving there?

how much are y'all paying for cable and HSI? I looked at suddenlink and its ~$50 for 10mbs and ~$80 for 20Mbs.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Suddenlink is the only cable internet provider in the area.

As for electricity we use TXU, but have had Reliant in the past. Its all the same really since they are just the billing company not the actual electric providers that would be Centerpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler