Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is more diverse nacogdoches or tyler
nacogdoches 7 36.84%
tyler 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A school doesn't need tall dormatories to make it great...that's so 1960's anyways. Look at TWU there is nothing urban about those tall dorms they're just two ugly sore thumbs in the middle of no where just like SFA's dorms are in the middle of a forest with nothing urban around them.

http://colleges.niche.com/images/sta...477/?v=B39E822

You must be referring to this 14 story 1960's relic that got demolished for a new freshman hall & parking garage. Way to go Nac. demolish your city's tallest eyesore for a parking garage that's progress!!! LOL

http://www2.sfasu.edu/sfatoday/Image...er-image-2.jpg

Exquisitely Bored in Nacogdoches: Garner's a goner

UT Tyler & TJC do just fine with their 3-4 story apartment complexes & rental houses near campus. TJC is always expanding their dorm size its hard to keep up with it.

Finally, UT Tyler interacts with UT Health Northeast in many of its medical programs. In fact, most new hires out there they look to hire UT Tyler graduates first before considering even UT itself. That speaks volumes about their commitment.

TJC has a well known football, soccer, basketball, & baseball team.

UT Tyler has a well known soccer & baseball team.
This is 2014 and those college's are ancient and not growing near as fast as SFA!!!

HOLLA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tExPatriot View Post
I do agree with some of this, to an extent. Including TJC's student population in a comparison with SFA's is like comparing apples to oranges. TJC is good for what it is - a community college with low admissions standards (not intended to be a slight at TJC, it's just characteristic of JuCos) that offers two year degree programs.

SFA's enrollment is almost twice that of UT Tyler. And yes, there are significant differences between a university system's "main" and satellite campuses. The majority of students I know that attend UT Tyler are there for one of three reasons: they were denied admission to the other schools they applied to because they weren't academically qualified; they couldn't afford the room, board, and tuition at a "main" campus; or they're tied to the area due to family/employment/other commitments.

Also, while this is not the fault of TJC or UT Tyler, some of the student apartment complexes surrounding the campuses are becoming downright ghetto and crime-ridden. I've even heard it's beginning to affect property values in adjacent neighborhoods.

Recent very recent news, U.T Tyler just bought the largest of those two apartment complexes, about 800 units, or room for 800 students. So slowly as leases come up just U.T.T. students. I will find the admissions stats, just read about some very good ones. I don't usually quote on here until I copy over the article.

The other apartment complex the varsity has cleaned up there act. The crime you talked about and certainly was played up big in news, involves two apartments that had up to 1,500 residents. You are going to make news over time with that many residents, many, at that time not students, nothing been news worthy, crime wise recently.

And you're talking about a university that just received a College of Pharmacy. How many of those in Texas?

The only survey I could find at this hour, yeah this could go on forever, but:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...es-west/page+8

U.S New Report 2014 UT. Tyler #66 SFA #75

UT. Tyler is a very young 4 year school, not long ago and upper division University just juniors, seniors, grads, only recently State of Texas allowing freshman sophomores , much to the disappointment of SFA and other schools in the area.

Having hard time finding college enrollments by year less say,last five, so far, SFA 2012 12,999.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-29-2014 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
This is 2014 and those college's are ancient and not growing near as fast as SFA!!!

HOLLA!!!

as usual for you dee, just spout off something as fact "SFA is growing Fall of 2012 12,999 students

Fall of 2013 12,772 students

Dee, this is not growing but a DECLINE, when you just "spout stuff" I gotta' correct you, just a real bad habit on my part.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Thanks for the chart on the demographics thanks!!!!!!!!
You can find the detailed demographics and lots of other data for any Texas community here //www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

Such as:

NACOGDOCHES

• White alone - 15,872 (48.6%)
  • Black alone - 10,114 (31.0%)
  • Hispanic - 5,742 (17.6%)
  • Asian alone - 490 (1.5%)
  • American Indian alone - 216 (0.7%)
  • Two or more races - 196 (0.6%)
  • Other race alone - 12 (0.04%)

TYLER
  • White alone - 49,252 (50.8%)
  • Black alone - 23,742 (24.5%)
  • Hispanic - 20,511 (21.2%)
  • Asian alone - 1,807 (1.9%)
  • Two or more races - 1,161 (1.2%)
  • American Indian alone - 284 (0.3%)
  • Other race alone - 125 (0.1%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 18 (0.02%

Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM

61 posts, read 117,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Recent very recent news, U.T Tyler just bought the largest of those two apartment complexes, about 800 units, or room for 800 students. So slowly as leases come up just U.T.T. students. I will find the admissions stats, just read about some very good ones. I don't usually quote on here until I copy over the article.

The other apartment complex the varsity has cleaned up there act. The crime you talked about and certainly was played up big in news, involves two apartments that had up to 1,500 residents. You are going to make news over time with that many residents, many, at that time not students, nothing been news worthy, crime wise recently.
Good to hear; hopefully that will effect positive change at the complexes, and get them cleaned up a little. I know several people who have resided there at one point or another over the past few years, and they had to call 911 a number of times to report public safety issues. It's actually pretty unusual for student complexes, even large ones, to be plagued with so many crime problems. They're typically reasonably safe.

I'm guessing what happened is that the complexes were over-built and the leasing agents had trouble filling units, so they loosened their residency restrictions. Now that UT Tyler has purchased them, that will hopefully no longer be an issue.

Quote:
And you're talking about a university that just received a College of Pharmacy. How many of those in Texas?

The only survey I could find at this hour, yeah this could go on forever, but:

Regional University West Rankings | Top Regional Universities West | US News Best Colleges

U.S New Report 2014 UT. Tyler #66 SFA #75

UT. Tyler is a very young 4 year school, not long ago and upper division University just juniors, seniors, grads, only recently State of Texas allowing freshman sophomores , much to the disappointment of SFA and other schools in the area.

Having hard time finding college enrollments by year less say,last five, so far, SFA 2012 12,999.
I'm not disputing that UT Tyler has some decent programs - I was speaking to Dee's point about branch campuses, based on both my personal experiences (having previously worked at a university, and having family members who also work in academia), as well as my interactions with UT Tyler students. To be fair, I'm not acquainted with anybody who is enrolled in UT Tyler's Health Sciences school, which I assume is their strongest and most competitive. Those students may have more positive experiences to report than the students I know, all of whom are enrolled in other programs.

Anyway, I think the takeaway here is that it's misleading to make generalized statements like "city 1 is superior to city 2 in education." Are we discussing in terms of quantity or quality? Tyler's overall student enrollment is the highest, but the bulk of that is in 2 year community college programs. Nacogdoches has comparatively fewer students, but a higher enrollment in 4+ year degree programs. And if we're talking quality, then good ol' Longview, home to LeTourneau, smokes both Tyler and Nacogdoches, per the link you supplied.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Good Post, LeTourneau, has been in the news recently, with the new training of pilots, with students being promised interviews, with a certain airline, couldn't find the airlines name.

Back a little to TJC, couldn't find the figures this time, maybe someone else can. Over 6,000 students are enrolled in the two year associates degree program, many planning to transfer to a 4 year school.

Here is a little history, I lived, but can not support by website as I usually do. TJC in the mid 1960's had a option to become a four year school. TJC chose not to "go' four year, the administrators stating that it would be too many years before they would be widely recognized as a four year institution. TJC instead wanted to be known as one of the very best JC's in the country. Back in the 60's I knew for sure if you "stuck with" didn't change your degree program, that most every course taken would transfer to the vast majority of 4 years schools in the country. Yeah, I heard students say, well I had to retake or take a certain course at the four year school, but in reality they switched majors.

Today TJC kept the Junior in their name, because they did need to "fluff" their name up when JC's were allowed to call themselves a "College." You see, part of the "trick" is to put your self "out there" as a college in hopes the term "College" will attract more students to your school or website, thus increasing enrollment.

Remember, when colleges could call themselves, universities, opening the doors for JC to "upgrade?"

"Community" colleges are the "rage" now, that's another subject.

Lastly TJC, SFA, Commerce and other schools did "slow down" the entrance of UTT on the scene. I'm not sure TJC now thinks the decision to remain a JC, was a good decision. TJC and others could only delay so long UTT's desire to include freshman and sophomore grades to the upper grades.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-29-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM

61 posts, read 117,674 times
Quote:
Back a little to TJC, couldn't find the figures this time, maybe someone else can. Over 6,000 students are enrolled in the two year associates degree program, many planning to transfer to a 4 year school.
Yeah, it's great that credits earned at TJC can be rolled over to a baccalaureate program elsewhere. Starting out at TJC and transferring to a 4-year school is pretty smart, especially for those who struggle financially, since classes are so much cheaper per credit hour.

Quote:
Here is a little history, I lived, but can not support by website as I usually do. TJC in the mid 1960's had a option to become a four year school. TJC chose not to "go' four year, the administrators stating that it would be too many years before they would be widely recognized as a four year institution. TJC instead wanted to be known as one of the very best JC's in the country. Back in the 60's I knew for sure if you "stuck with" didn't change your degree program, that most every course taken would transfer to the vast majority of 4 years schools in the country. Yeah, I heard students say, well I had to retake or take a certain course at the four year school, but in reality they switched majors.

Today TJC kept the Junior in their name, because they did need to "fluff" their name up when JC's were allowed to call themselves a "College." You see, part of the "trick" is to put your self "out there" as a college in hopes the term "College" will attract more students to your school or website, thus increasing enrollment.

Remember, when colleges could call themselves, universities, opening the doors for JC to "upgrade?"

"Community" colleges are the "rage" now, that's another subject.

Lastly TJC, SFA, Commerce and other schools did "slow down" the entrance of UTT on the scene. I'm not sure TJC now thinks the decision to remain a JC, was a good decision. TJC and others could only delay so long UTT's desire to include freshman and sophomore grades to the upper grades.
Very interesting info, thanks! I've heard that TJC is one of the more well-reputed junior colleges in the country. My uncle, who lives in the upper midwest and has never been to Texas, has even heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler