Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times

Advertisements

went out walking today, and again, im frustrated at how the neighborhoods here in tyler dont have paths for pedestrians and cyclists. you either have to teeter on unpaved shoulders or walk right on the road. im thinking that if the city would invest in making the roads more pedestrian and cyclist friendly, tyler could attract the health buffs and/or environment-minded people who, IMHO, tend to have the discipline to have decent or above average finances behind them to invest here in tyler. besides, i think it would also encourage the residents here to get up and walk around more and be more healthy, as well as the drivers to be more careful on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
went out walking today, and again, im frustrated at how the neighborhoods here in tyler dont have paths for pedestrians and cyclists. you either have to teeter on unpaved shoulders or walk right on the road. im thinking that if the city would invest in making the roads more pedestrian and cyclist friendly, tyler could attract the health buffs and/or environment-minded people who, IMHO, tend to have the discipline to have decent or above average finances behind them to invest here in tyler. besides, i think it would also encourage the residents here to get up and walk around more and be more healthy, as well as the drivers to be more careful on the road.
Have you not checked out the Rose Rudman Trails?

They go all the way from Copeland Road to Cumberland Road in Far South Tyler.

It has all of South Tyler covered. You don't even need a car if you live in South Tyler!

The city also has bike lanes all over the place, especially around the Azalea District.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 PM

yeah been to the trails, but the city really needs to make their shoulders more bike and pedestrian friendly. and i dont see a whole lot of bike lanes at all.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 PM

hey matt, havent seen you here in the forums lately.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
I don't "do" the trails but there have been specific plans for more bike and pedestrian trails in the news in the last year, but didn't pay close attention as I don't participate. I know sidewalks have been added all over South Tyler even other parts of Tyler. I even wondered why the money was spent on that, they aren't being used too much by folks. Seems money should be spent on jobs. See my other post about no jobs for Tyler, Tyler getting it's new sub-forum.

I know Tyler 2100 finished 4 years ago certainly has plans for more parts, trails, sidewalks etc. The plan is slowly being put into place as money is available.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM

46 posts, read 103,224 times
Default Walking to South Tyler Trails

I’m also researching pedestrian friendly areas. Regarding walking to the Rudman, Creekside and Grande Trails from surrounding neighborhoods, are there sidewalks along Rice, Shiloh, S. Broadway, Reick, Donnybrook, New Copeland, etc. streets? Are these 2, 4, or 6 lane streets? Could one safely walk cross Grande Blvd to reach the Grande Trail? Appreciate any information.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Not many of the streets mentioned have sidewalks, some partially sidewalked. Shiloh, Reick or 4 lane, Broadway 4 to 6 lane, others 2. Grande is 4 with median some of the way, you should be able to carefully cross.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM

46 posts, read 140,341 times
Default Sidewalk Friendly Tyler ??

Pedestrian friendly? My answer is The Mall . I have never in all the years we've lived around here seen one person crossing Grande. No sidewalks on Shiloh ; just Lots of traffic. Rice Rd and Shiloh are the same street; they just switch the name after you cross (by car) Broadway. Donnybrook , being in the old part of town, would be one lane with one row of cars that you "might" be able to pass ; it has low traffic and sidewalks. Sidewalks on S Broadway? Nope. S Broadway is the business center of town with lots of traffic. It's the main drag as they say. I even doubt if Hollytree, where the country club is, has sidewalks. Sidewalks are expensive. They USED TO build them and they remain in the old part of town with brick streets but if you go too far north towards downtown you might not be safe anyway.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzi View Post
Pedestrian friendly? My answer is The Mall . I have never in all the years we've lived around here seen one person crossing Grande. No sidewalks on Shiloh ; just Lots of traffic. Rice Rd and Shiloh are the same street; they just switch the name after you cross (by car) Broadway. Donnybrook , being in the old part of town, would be one lane with one row of cars that you "might" be able to pass ; it has low traffic and sidewalks. Sidewalks on S Broadway? Nope. S Broadway is the business center of town with lots of traffic. It's the main drag as they say. I even doubt if Hollytree, where the country club is, has sidewalks. Sidewalks are expensive. They USED TO build them and they remain in the old part of town with brick streets but if you go too far north towards downtown you might not be safe anyway.
Not true.

There are sidewalks on both Shiloh & Rice Rd. Cumberland Academy off of Shiloh @ Copeland is pouring sidewalk as you talk your usual mess. Rose Rudman of course has sidewalks down both sides of Shiloh.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:01 PM

86 posts, read 199,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Have you not checked out the Rose Rudman Trails?

They go all the way from Copeland Road to Cumberland Road in Far South Tyler.

It has all of South Tyler covered. You don't even need a car if you live in South Tyler!

The city also has bike lanes all over the place, especially around the Azalea District.
This is one of the biggest pack of lies I've seen.

Rose Rudman goes from a bit south of the Loop to Grande, if we're talking North-South coverage.

Yes you do need a car in south Tyler unless you happen to live in the neighborhoods surrounding the retail clusters.

There are not bike lanes all over the Azalea district. Donnybrook and Sunnybrook are bike routes but do not have dedicated lanes save for Sunnybrook between Old Jacksonville and Broadway, but this is not part of the Azalea district.

I know you posted this a year ago but I'm sure you'd still try to pass this info off as fact if given the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler