Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apazwife View Post
I have read that the Tyler ISD is one to avoid...is there anyone who lives in Tyler and actually has kids going to one of the schools? We are planning on moving to the Tyler area with a 4th grader and we want to choose the best school for our daughter. We don't have to be in Tyler, so any ISD nearby would be ok. Any thoughts on nearby areas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
I live in Tyler and I have had my children at Tyler, Bullard & Whitehouse. They are both graduated and married now. My daughter graduated from Whitehouse in 2004 and if I had it all over to do again Whitehouse is the school to pick. The teachers are very good and caring. Hope this helps. I read all of the comments from other people and boy they really know Tyler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,574,759 times
I was under the impression that the schools that fed into Robert E. Lee were not too bad and the schools that fed into John Tyler were not too good...is this not correct?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,953,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I was under the impression that the schools that fed into Robert E. Lee were not too bad and the schools that fed into John Tyler were not too good...is this not correct?
To be perfectly honest, neither of them are doing too hot these days. The schools that supply REL's student body, are likely to be Hogg, Hubbard, TK Gorman, Whitehouse middle schools, Troup middle schools, Arp middle schools...these are generally considered the more decent Junior High's/Middle Schools

Schools that supply JT's population are more likely to be Stewart, Hogg (as well), Boulter, Dogan.. These Junior High's/Middle Schools are often attended by children from less affluent backgrounds if not altogether impoverished.

Of course there is some crossover and overlap in each High School's population.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:05 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,044,992 times
Solytaire, not from Tyler are you. Sorta wrong about Robert E. Lee, REL, or at least the way you worote you response was not correct. Hubbard entirely feeds Lee, Moore, or Hogg feed both Lee and JT. TK Gorman is a private Catholic High School, Whitehouse too is an entirely W.S.D nothing to do with REL, are Troup is separate ISD Arp as well their on ISD. Yes Tyler ISD is becoming more minority but Robert E. Lee was just rated in the top 6% of public schools in the country, yes to my surprise. This was reported on this formum under top 1500 Public High Schools in the country, Ranked 1284th, not good you say, well really didn't sound that way, but in a sense top 5% didn't sound so bad. However, many people with money still send their kids to LEE, Hubbard,Owens,Jack, even Woods schools. Many more, send them to the 4 or 5 PreK thru High School private schools. T.K Gorma, Grace Community, All Saints, Brook Hill, and one other I forget. Lee was rated even Higher than the all white affluent Frisco High. Go figure lol

The Loneranger post has it most correctly.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:33 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,574,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Solytaire, not from Tyler are you. Sorta wrong about Robert E. Lee, REL, or at least the way you worote you response was not correct. Hubbard entirely feeds Lee, Moore, or Hogg feed both Lee and JT. TK Gorman is a private Catholic High School, Whitehouse too is an entirely W.S.D nothing to do with REL, are Troup is separate ISD Arp as well their on ISD. Yes Tyler ISD is becoming more minority but Robert E. Lee was just rated in the top 6% of public schools in the country, yes to my surprise. This was reported on this formum under top 1500 Public High Schools in the country, Ranked 1284th, not good you say, well really didn't sound that way, but in a sense top 5% didn't sound so bad. However, many people with money still send their kids to LEE, Hubbard,Owens,Jack, even Woods schools. Many more, send them to the 4 or 5 PreK thru High School private schools. T.K Gorma, Grace Community, All Saints, Brook Hill, and one other I forget. Lee was rated even Higher than the all white affluent Frisco High. Go figure lol

Neither of those are true...Frisco is suburban and middle class, and isn't all white any more. There are enough minorities in the district now that they had to change the mascot from the "Fightin Coons" to the "Racoons."

All of the people I've met from Tyler are white, rather wealthy and went to Lee, but I doubt I've met a representative sample.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Tyler born and raised here...I think we might have had a miscommunication. My student peers during the 4 years I attended REL were mainly from Hubbard, Whitehouse, Troup, middle schools. Im not sure if you thought I was trying to imply that Whitehouse, Arp, Troup were in the same school district as TISD or what..but if so, then that was a misinterpretation of my statement.

My close, close relative who has taught in Chapel Hill and TISD for the past 33 years and now teaches at REL has also told me, in passing, where many of her students were from. While TK Gorman is obviously a private school, as is All Saints (another close relative attended All Saints), again MANY of my classmates from REL went to junior high at TK Gorman. Im kind of suprised you didnt know that. Many, many of REL's students come from TK Gorman. Kind of odd that you would dispute that one.

Im sure the statistics you quote have their merit, but its kind of hard for me to accept fudged statistics from a somewhat bogus, "report" when I have daily conversations, ad nauseum, with someone who has worked at REL for upwards of 25 years and who will be retiring next year.

And when I am told in great detail how the teachers were informed that REL actually performed subpar on state standardized tests for the first time in years, and extra initiatives are being incorperated AT REL as of the past two years, to bring all the students up to par. There are things teachers are being FORCED to do, to make sure REL students bring their standardized test scores up. Example..As my relative told me: Children are now being incentivized to pass the standardized test by allowing them to skip final exams if they pass the state standardized test. These students are actually doing HORRIBLE in the classroom, but are studying like hell for the state mandated tests.

Part of the reason for REL's academic decline has been the mass transferral of JT students to REL, who have been lured by REL's attractive and recently successful football program. Hey Owens, Fleet, Go Raiders!

I am told from first hand accounts, not only by this close relative, but from her tenured colleagues throughout TISD and Chapel Hill, their experiences within the Tyler area school system.

With the kind of information I've seen in this thread, I hope you're not from Tyler...lol..Im just kidding

but seriously, I dont know what else to do other than to give you the phone numbers of a few long time educators in TISD and let them tell you from their experiences themselves.

I think Solytaire's post has gotten it the most accurate so far...lol

Last edited by solytaire; 06-12-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Yep, you are the AUTHORITY ON THIS ONE FOR SURE I did think you were just mixing the schools into Tyler ISD, you were NOT MY "BAD" also, I realize "test" results for rating school systems are highly suspect, just as I said, I was "suprised" myself by Lee being in the top 1,500 schools out of 25,000, it could as easilly be said "Just look at the horrible state of affairs of the national public school sytems" right?
Yes because REL has had some success in football which I'm sure in part has to do with the heavy influx of minorities to Lee and of course the fact they could transfer to Lee just because they wanted to added to this influx and by Lee being mostly white I guess it looked attractive. Side note, many, many college students choose their college by the "blasted" success of their football team.You came well equiped with your facts, ok, it would be good maybe for you to start a new forum offering suggestions to "help" the "problem" short of just shutting Tyler ISD down. lol Thanks for your response.

Oh, didn't mean to dispute anything, and I too was born in Tyler, left for 25 years back 18, but had no idea students "flip/floped" back and forth from school to school, to my knowlege we just couldn't do that "back in the day".

Old 06-12-2009, 10:30 PM

Ok longranger, "neither of those are true" which "neither"?
I get it that Frisco had now gone to h--- now, but what else did I miss too, Thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Yep, you are the AUTHORITY ON THIS ONE FOR SURE I did think you were just mixing the schools into Tyler ISD, you were NOT MY "BAD" also, I realize "test" results for rating school systems are highly suspect, just as I said, I was "suprised" myself by Lee being in the top 1,500 schools out of 25,000, it could as easilly be said "Just look at the horrible state of affairs of the national public school sytems" right?
Yes because REL has had some success in football which I'm sure in part has to do with the heavy influx of minorities to Lee and of course the fact they could transfer to Lee just because they wanted to added to this influx and by Lee being mostly white I guess it looked attractive. Side note, many, many college students choose their college by the "blasted" success of their football team.You came well equiped with your facts, ok, it would be good maybe for you to start a new forum offering suggestions to "help" the "problem" short of just shutting Tyler ISD down. lol Thanks for your response.

Oh, didn't mean to dispute anything, and I too was born in Tyler, left for 25 years back 18, but had no idea students "flip/floped" back and forth from school to school, to my knowlege we just couldn't do that "back in the day".
lol..yeah...I realize that came across as kind of abrasive and arrogant and in retrospect, and I do regret that...that was not the way I intended it to be...Nor was I trying to infer that the statistics you put forth were absolutely incorrect.

I respect the fact that you are a long time Tylerite and Tyler enthusiast, and I always like to see the great and detailed information about Tyler that you have to offer. Unfortunately, while I wholeheartedly believe the statistics you quote exist, to be perfectly honest, the public school system is so superficial its ridiculous...teachers are not allowed to discipline students without a gauntlet of bureaucracy to go through..and once they go through the bureaucracy, many times the "principals" and administrators wont reinforce the rules that THEY set for students...

My relative tells me of SO MANY measures they institute (and Im sure most schools do to an extent) to keep the school from looking bad in standardized placement tests...sad really...people's children arent getting the education they think they are, and whats worse is after this last crop of remaining older teachers leave the profession, people's children will be taught by many individuals who care so little about the students absorbtion of information, but who would rather relate to the kids and be their friends, ALL THE TIME.

God forbid a student be a part of the Tyler "aristocracy" or local business owner, the student is often immuned to punishment, and allowed to get away with murder as the parent can wield such economic clout that the schools advertising revenue from games could be impacted....

But I dont want to come across as a know it all regarding Tyler, TISD, or REL because Im not..and I know you have a ton of great info about Tyler, and insight into the culture of the area....I was just caught off guard about possibly not being acknowledged as a Tylerite...I can be a rather prideful one sometimes...lol

Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:

This is so true...even while I was in High School transferring was no cake walk..really if you didnt live in North/West/ or North/East Tyler, it was pretty hard to get into JT, and likewise you really had to live in South Tyler, or Southwest Tyler to go to REL...The only reason I went to REL is because a close close relative worked there, and basically pushed me in there...lol

But of course the higher the attendance rate for a school, the more money they get from the state, so you know how that goes...no suprise that they opened the doors..and of course with that many new students coming in, and when Katrina hit and the evacuees came, both JT and REL on many days turned into warzones...literally mob-like fights every week if not multiple times a week...that lasted about a year until REL was basically left to deal with the ruins.

Plus, REL for the longest could literally SMELL that 5A state championship but could just never get past those Dallas schools in the playoffs...that is until they got the influx of athleticism from JT...unfortunately that championship came at the cost of REL's academic standing...Not to say that JT transfers were the SOLE reason for either, but they sure had a lot to do with it...A LOT...and REL was going to get Owens his ring...and so he got one...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: