Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tExPatriot View Post
I live in South Tyler, but park my car in and go walking/jogging around that neighborhood all the time during the day. I often park in front of the Presbyterian church on Rusk & College. I'm a small-framed female in my early thirties, FWIW.

That particular intersection you mentioned is probably okay, though there are some "dodgier"-looking blocks around it - nothing too scary; some of the homes are just more run-down, a few empty storefronts, and I'll notice more junky cars with bass booming drive by. If I walk north of Dobbs (the street that runs parallel to Rusk to the south), I tend to stay to the east of Chilton, closer to Broadway, for that reason.

I wouldn't walk around the area at night, but I'm admittedly paranoid and wouldn't walk around most areas by myself at night . If your wife plans to do so, I'd recommend that she confine her route mainly to the south, towards the "numbered" streets (1st, 2nd, etc.). That's where you'll find the more expensive houses, and presumably a higher police presence as well.

Welcome to Tyler!
I agree with this post. While I wouldn't worry about living there, I would take the usual precautions and lock doors at night - and don't go walking around ANY downtown area ANYWHERE at night. But I doubt it's particularly dangerous.

I lived on 2nd street like I said - that's a bit more residential, single homes than the area you're talking about. But it was only a few blocks from where you're probably moving.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM

13 posts, read 27,671 times
Thanks tExPatriot! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM

Thanks Kathryn for all your input. You've been really helpful. Looking forward to our move to Tyler!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldo11 View Post
Ok thanks, I have no idea what the area is like I'm actually moving up from Austin and am trying to do this from there which makes it a bit more difficult. All I know is what I can see on google street view.

I guess I'm less concerned about the house and more concerned about the safety of the area. We are just looking for a place to rent, not looking to buy.

When you say certain blocks in the area are "sketchy" do you mean that you wouldn't live on certain blocks in that area because they are of questionable safety or did you just mean that some of the houses aren't in the greatest shape?

I'm mainly interested in whether my wife will be safe by herself walking and riding her bike in the area.

you moved from austin? i moved from austin to tyler in 2011! where in austin are you from? i lived in north austin for 1.5 year.

i live in shiloh rd and it's okay here. i never go around at night, and where i live doesnt really have bike lanes but it's been okay. i had to pick an area closest to where i work. what's nice where i live is i can just go either way to grocery stores (wal-mart, brookeshire's) in a few minutes

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 PM

Hi Zilam,

We are currently living in the Far West area of Austin just off of Mopac at the far west exit. We really enjoy it here, we've only been here for 4 months and its really going to be tough to leave. We hear there are more things to do in downtown Tyler than anywhere else so we want to live close to there. ]

Some people have said south tyler is nicer, but living near a mall and a wal-mart just really doesn't sound like that much fun. Is there anything more to do in south Tyler than that?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
In south Tyler is broadway mall with retailers such as Dillards,Sears,JcPennys and you have a skateplex for kids and a movie theatre thats about all your going to get out of south part of town.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Much of Tyler is very nice.

South Tyler - mall, lots of shopping and restaurants (both chains and locally owned), parks, including the long and very pleasant Rose Rudman walking trails, gyms, skateplexes, theaters, health food and specialty food stores, pleasant newer neighborhoods, private schools, suburbia in general.

Inside the loop - historic neighborhoods and brick streets, downtown with a few nightclubs and art studios, funky little coffee shops, antique stores, beautiful old churches, lots of mature trees, hospital complex, sprawling Green Acres subdivision (acres and acres of diverse midcentury houses on big, shaded lots), bakeries, specialty shops, government buildings, fairgrounds, civic center, community theaters, pawn shops, art studios, lots of elementary schools, funkier vibe than south Tyler.

North Tyler - more industrial, more "ethnic" (lots of relatively new Hispanic influence with brightly painted homes), lots of public housing, not as heavily populated or congested as other parts of Tyler, a surprisingly rural feel even inside the loop in some areas, Caldwell Zoo, Taqueria El Lugar and other Tex Mex mom and pop restaurants and grocery stores, blue collar neighborhoods, lots of auto repair stores.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Cool, I think inside the loop seems more our style. Is downtown bad enough at night where the two of us would want to avoid it like say to go out for a drink, etc?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
For me, a life long Tyler resident of 67 years, with an exception of a 25 year stay in Houston, I liked it there, everyone is a bit upbeat about where you are considering living. I watch the crime reports all the time, wondering how far south the crimes will increase, move south, as they have over the years. I would not want any female walking alone in the area at night, period, yes likely not to be a problem, but a little risky. Now, just to the south and southeast of what you speak, safer, but not southwest.

Yes, a few clubs are downtown, compared to Austin, nothing at all. Now I love Tyler, wouldn't now live anywhere else now. If you are into clubs, Clicks Billiards in Southeast Crossing has live entertainment at times, Country Cowboy or Electric Cowboy, accross Troup Highway from Clicks is a very popular hang out. On South Broadway there is a club called, what is the name somebody?, in Woodcreek Shopping Center, that's popular. As you can tell, much to old for the club scene, but from what I've heard those are the main place besides Rick on the Square.

Tyler and things about it, and information on it, are a real hobby of mine. So if I can help on something else, contact me, I know a whole "mess" about Tyler, good and bad. If you want to ask me directly.

Good luck on your jobs, are you working in the medical field? that's what Tyler is mostly about, med jobs. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM

Hi Mark, yes much like most people who come to Tyler it seems, we are moving there to work in the medical field.

Thanks for your post and the offer to help, I'll be sure and let you know if we have any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler