Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM

25 posts, read 47,950 times

Advertisements

Anyone here able to offer an opinion of Van, TX?

Someone has told me the school(s) there are very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I don't know much about Van other than it's not far from Tyler, a rural sort of community, and I have a friend who lived there and raised two girls there very happily. You might be able to buy a bit more acreage in an area like Van. It's not far from Chandler!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's not far from Chandler!
Haha OK, thanks Kathryn.

We're looking to have another look around Tyler and check out a few properties next weekend.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:00 AM

816 posts, read 1,947,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRi9htHand View Post
Anyone here able to offer an opinion of Van, TX?

Someone has told me the school(s) there are very good.
Van schools are excellent. I have a family friend that recently moved there from Tyler for their kids to go to school there and they love it. It is only 25 minutes to Tyler, and 50 minutes to I-635 in Dallas.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM

One thing you need to know about the towns and areas to the west, between Dallas and Tyler, is that they tend to catch hell when it comes to weather. In fact, our homeowner's insurance is going up, with a higher deductible for wind damage, because we're buying to the east of Tyler. They also tend to get stronger storms in general, more snow or ice, etc. than Tyler or the south or east of Tyler.

I don't care - I'm still moving there. I like storms. LOL!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Van schools are excellent. I have a family friend that recently moved there from Tyler for their kids to go to school there and they love it. It is only 25 minutes to Tyler, and 50 minutes to I-635 in Dallas.
Thank you for your comment. What grades were they in? Do you know if your friends' kids are in "gifted" programs at their schools?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't care - I'm still moving there. I like storms. LOL!
I love having regular rain, too, though I'm not big on severe weather so that is something for us to consider.

Since it seems like when we finally do get some rain around Austin, it usually skirts us in Round Rock and hits just north and east. Don't want to relocate to a town that's similarly cursed.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,454 times
Quote:
Thank you for your comment. What grades were they in? Do you know if your friends' kids are in "gifted" programs at their schools?
One is 12 years old and the other is 10 years old. I'm not sure what grade that would be for, but elementary school for sure. I don't think they're in the "gifted" programs, I might have to ask them in the next couple days. I do know they moved there for that sole reason (school), and they came from Whitehouse, which also has good schools.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I do know they moved there for that sole reason (school), and they came from Whitehouse, which also has good schools.
That is interesting, since we heard that Whitehouse (and Lindale) had the best schools in the area...

Any specifics about their experiences with Whitehouse ISD would be valuable to us. Should you be able to provide further details, feel free to PM me.
Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I love having regular rain, too, though I'm not big on severe weather so that is something for us to consider.

Since it seems like when we finally do get some rain around Austin, it usually skirts us in Round Rock and hits just north and east. Don't want to relocate to a town that's similarly cursed.
All hell is always breaking loose in Dallas. It tends to peter out SOMEWHERE between Dallas and Tyler. Now that "somewhere" might be Forney...it might be Canton...or it might be Van...or it might be Chandler. Usually it veers north around Canton...but not always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler