Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmawipes1 View Post
I was wondering if Tyler Texas was black people friendly? Are there any good paying jobs in Texas and if so what are best cities to live in for middle class black working family? Are there any mixed communities in the State of Texas that are friendly to middle class black people?

( Please no answers mentioning the ghetto, I'm a worker not a handout person)
East Texas period has a pretty sizable black population. Anytime you have a black population over the national average in a city 9 out of 10 it's "black people friendly" just like any other city where there's a significant amount of black people. And by that i'm assuming you mean black people friendly as in opposite of a town like Vidor where they might start some trouble because you're out at a certain time of the day in the "wrong" skin. Yeah you won't hear that happening in any town in East Texas unless it's below average black pop then yes you will more then likely run into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:15 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
OP, just ask some black people how Tyler is for black people. That's your best bet for getting an honest, straight answer from someone who would actually know firsthand...

Old 02-03-2015, 12:19 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
East Texas period has a pretty sizable black population. Anytime you have a black population over the national average in a city 9 out of 10 it's "black people friendly" just like any other city where there's a significant amount of black people. And by that i'm assuming you mean black people friendly as in opposite of a town like Vidor where they might start some trouble because you're out at a certain time of the day in the "wrong" skin. Yeah you won't hear that happening in any town in East Texas unless it's below average black pop then yes you will more then likely run into that.
Well the OP asked specifically about opportunities for black people, like jobs, pay, and economy. I don't think they were asking if they would get lynched if they move there. Of course it isn't going to be like that, but I don't think it has a favorable job market, level of pay, or particularly strong economy that is favorable to black folks, either.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Well the OP asked specifically about opportunities for black people, like jobs, pay, and economy. I don't think they were asking if they would get lynched if they move there. Of course it isn't going to be like that, but I don't think it has a favorable job market, level of pay, or particularly strong economy that is favorable to black folks, either.
Why would qualified African Americans have a hard time landing a job they were well qualified for in Tyler? Have you had a bad job experience in Tyler that you believe is due specifically to your race or ethnicity?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
The rate of opportunities for black people in Tyler and in Longview are the same as most major cities in Texas. The only difference is bigger cities have more jobs. But there not discriminating in Tyler any more then they are in other cities in Texas. So depending on her field she wouldn't have any trouble finding a job as a black person in Tyler.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Its just a little laughable that this question is being raised in a serious context...Tyler is a small town, but of course there are opportunities abound in east texas for people of all races. Heck, i was just speaking with a lady last weekend who knows a black pediatrician..and according to her, the pediatrician has been working in tyler for decades and she has a ton of clients and makes ridiculous money right now. She knows another black real estate developer who is equally successful and wealthy...and i personally know of quite a number of less profound black professionals around the Tyler area, ranging from teachers to nurses to entrepreneurs and a couple of attorneys. A ton of blacks working at blue collar jobs in the area are making very good salaries at the major employers in town. (When i was growing up in tyler these were Kelly Tire Company, Tyler Pipe, Trane, Carrier and the post office....some have closed by now) And when i say they were making good salaries for blue collar work, i mean very good money for people with a standard high school or junior college education. Enough to buy multiple luxury/performance vehicles AND have a nice home built.

Ive been to towns the exact same size as Tyler where blacks either had a very minimal presence, or where blacks may have had a sizeable population but were still extremely marginalized by the opportunities available there. The medium sized towns of rural Central virginia are a prime example of places where blacks are still pretty disorganized and relegated to menial work. And places like Springfield, Missouri have nearly no blacks to speak of outside of the major university, and the few who are there are very strange acting to the extent of them having no unique identity distinguishable from the nonblacks.

Neither of these scenarios are the case in Tyler or Longview

Last edited by soletaire; 02-04-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Its just a little laughable that this question is being raised in a serious context...Tyler is a small town, but of course there are opportunities abound in east texas for people of all races. Heck, i was just speaking with a lady last weekend who knows a black pediatrician..and according to her, the pediatrician has been working in tyler for decades and she has a ton of clients and makes ridiculous money right now. She knows another black real estate developer who is equally successful and wealthy...and i personally know of quite a number of less profound black professionals around the Tyler area, ranging from teachers to nurses to entrepreneurs and a couple of attorneys. A ton of blacks working at blue collar jobs in the area are making very good salaries at the major employers in town. (When i was growing up in tyler these were Kelly Tire Company, Tyler Pipe, Trane, Carrier and the post office....some have closed by now) And when i say they were making good salaries for blue collar work, i mean very good money for people with a standard high school or junior college education. Enough to buy multiple luxury/performance vehicles AND have a nice home built.

Ive been to towns the exact same size as Tyler where blacks either had a very minimal presence, or where blacks may have had a sizeable population but were still extremely marginalized by the opportunities available there. The medium sized towns of rural Central virginia are a prime example of places where blacks are still pretty disorganized and relegated to menial work. And places like Springfield, Missouri have nearly no blacks to speak of outside of the major university, and the few who are there are very strange acting to the extent of them having no unique identity distinguishable from the nonblacks.

Neither of these scenarios are the case in Tyler or Longview
I agree with all of this - except for one thing. Tyler isn't a small town. Tyler's metro area has a population of over 200,000. I don't consider that a small town personally. Also, Tyler isn't an "old money, good ol' boy" sort of town at all. It's home to many transplants - from students to white collar professionals and everything in between. Tyler is also 24 percent African American, compared to the Texas average of 13 percent or so.

Tyler is a regional medical, educational and technology center for east Texas as well.

Tyler, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree with all of this - except for one thing. Tyler isn't a small town. Tyler's metro area has a population of over 200,000. I don't consider that a small town personally. Also, Tyler isn't an "old money, good ol' boy" sort of town at all. It's home to many transplants - from students to white collar professionals and everything in between. Tyler is also 24 percent African American, compared to the Texas average of 13 percent or so.

Tyler is a regional medical, educational and technology center for east Texas as well.

According to city sales tax rebate checks each month, Tyler rates 20-25th in amount of refund back to the city. This probably represents the ranking of "economies" in the states metro areas, but couldn't find figures to support this. However, this seems to be a probability.

Yes really Tyler's not small anymore. Oh, in Main, Mississippi, Wyoming, Arkansas, West Virginia, New Mexico Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and several other states Tyler would rank 1st to about 5th in population. So really, "small" is what/where your comparing it to. Tyler is relatively small in Texas,California,Florida and a few other state. Gee, how did I get on this

Last edited by Mark Senior; 02-05-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Yeah...i dont consider Tyler a truly small town anymore either...i consider it a medium sized town...but i also know that from what im aware of, it certainly isnt a large city either...in states like virginia, and missouri, one you get outside the major metros, cities the size of Tyler, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Springfield etc are considered major cities...for me though, i attribute that to having comparably small towns in the region rather than any viable cities to compare it to...so when speaking of texas cities, i tend to use texas standards, so to speak.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM

347 posts, read 467,785 times
Quote:
OP, just ask some black people how Tyler is for black people. That's your best bet for getting an honest, straight answer from someone who would actually know firsthand...
I totally agree with this advice. Get the answer from those who can really relate to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler